Obama tells EPA, cool it on the proposed new national smog standards

So the right are picking on Obama for doing what they wanted him to do?

Sheesh.

I'm not. I'm glad. Thing I wanna know is where the hell are the lefties that claim I only bash him. And why are they not happy as well? Are they so partisan that even a good deed goes unnoticed because the right agrees with it? Hacks, the lot of them.

That's twice in 2 days Obama caved in to the GOP.

I love it!

obama didn't cave to the GOP the GOP is the same coin as obama and the democrats but the opposite side of that coin.

obama caved to the American people.

The GOP and the DNC both want the samething they just go about it differantly

The right should love this third Bush term.

Why don't you move to Syria? Maybe their president would make you happy?

that makes no sense whatsoever.

It makes plenty of sense from my perspective. I give my honest thoughts daily on what we could do to make things better. I've admitted that Bush fucked things up. I've admitted that Obama has made shit worse. I've offered ideas on how things could be better.

All I ever see you and many others do is blame everyone, accept no responsibility for how we got here and mock others. There is a place for people like that.....and its not in our political discourse. It's late night TV, where most wannabe's go to pretend their opinion matters. As far as I'm concerned yall can move to a country (syria) where I know your opinions don't matter.

Half of this board treats our political system as if its a game. And I'm not speaking for only the left. Many simply have NOTHING of substance to offer.

of course this cannot be real, because I remember having arguments right here and being told that the President doesn't interfere or doesn't tell even cabinet level folks what to do in their orgs.....Friday news dump too....:lol:

why yes mr. president reducing ozone depletion = smog standards, so close to the background level that Yellowstone Park would have trouble passing is a tad aggressive.

Obama pulls back proposed smog standards in victory for business

By Juliet Eilperin, Updated: Friday, September 2, 9:40 AM

President Obama abruptly pulled back proposed new national smog standards Friday morning, overruling the Environmental Protection Agency’s efforts to compel states and communities nationwide to reduce local air pollution in the coming years or face federal penalties.

The move represented a win for the business community, which had lobbied to postpone new restrictions on ground-level ozone — known as smog — until 2013 in light of the economic downturn. It also raised questions about the fate of several other air quality regulations the EPA is preparing to finalize this year.

snip-

The federal government normally reviews the standards for ground-level ozone — a “primary” standard for public health and a “secondary” one aimed at the environment — every five years. The George W. Bush administration set the primary standard at 75 parts per billion in March 2008, but Jackson chose to revisit the standards early because that level was significantly higher than the 60 to 70 parts per billion recommended by the EPA’s scientific advisory committee at the time.

more at-
Obama pulls back proposed smog standards in victory for business - The Washington Post

would anyone be shocked if I told you they have not even completed their study? AND like Obamas comment in Iowa on the Bus tour that the EPA measures cost per reg. and they have not done that either?

I can't believe the left in this country--isn't flipping out over this decision.

of course this cannot be real, because I remember having arguments right here and being told that the President doesn't interfere or doesn't tell even cabinet level folks what to do in their orgs.....Friday news dump too....:lol:

why yes mr. president reducing ozone depletion = smog standards, so close to the background level that Yellowstone Park would have trouble passing is a tad aggressive.

Obama pulls back proposed smog standards in victory for business

By Juliet Eilperin, Updated: Friday, September 2, 9:40 AM

President Obama abruptly pulled back proposed new national smog standards Friday morning, overruling the Environmental Protection Agency’s efforts to compel states and communities nationwide to reduce local air pollution in the coming years or face federal penalties.

The move represented a win for the business community, which had lobbied to postpone new restrictions on ground-level ozone — known as smog — until 2013 in light of the economic downturn. It also raised questions about the fate of several other air quality regulations the EPA is preparing to finalize this year.

snip-

The federal government normally reviews the standards for ground-level ozone — a “primary” standard for public health and a “secondary” one aimed at the environment — every five years. The George W. Bush administration set the primary standard at 75 parts per billion in March 2008, but Jackson chose to revisit the standards early because that level was significantly higher than the 60 to 70 parts per billion recommended by the EPA’s scientific advisory committee at the time.

more at-
Obama pulls back proposed smog standards in victory for business - The Washington Post

would anyone be shocked if I told you they have not even completed their study? AND like Obamas comment in Iowa on the Bus tour that the EPA measures cost per reg. and they have not done that either?

I can't believe the left in this country--isn't flipping out over this decision.

They're just ignoring it as this thread proves. As are most on the right. Admitting success or progress does not promote good insult contests. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Why would "the right" love a third Bush term?

If you think Bush was a conservative you probably:

Have a closet full of Ché faces on t-shirts

Think a night out for dinner is the Freegan™ fest in the dumpster behind Piggly Wiggly

And are planning for a nice camp out in NYC on Sept 17th. celebrating a "peaceful" day of rage.

Yup, I agree, your Bush III is enough for me, NoBama 2012!

LIAMD.

another opinion on all this. LINKS in article at site.

SNIP:
Obama: “I have continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens. September 2, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

As the Washington Post is reporting today, there is a minor – if temporary – victory in the war against oppressive over-regulation by the federal government coming your way. The Obama administration is backing down on the EPA’s efforts to heighten ozone restrictions to a point where even Yellowstone National Park would fail to meet them.
The move represented a win for the business community, which had lobbied to postpone new restrictions on ground-level ozone—known as smog—until 2013 in light of the current economic downturn. It also raised questions about the fate of several other controversial air quality regulations EPA is preparing to finalize this year.
Sadly, I must report that this isn’t the real story here. For the full effect, we need to go to the official White House statement on this, in which President Obama states, (apparently with a straight face):
Statement by the President on the Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards | The White House

the rest ..
Obama: “I have continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens” « Hot Air

another opinion on all this. LINKS in article at site.

SNIP:
Obama: “I have continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens. September 2, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

As the Washington Post is reporting today, there is a minor – if temporary – victory in the war against oppressive over-regulation by the federal government coming your way. The Obama administration is backing down on the EPA’s efforts to heighten ozone restrictions to a point where even Yellowstone National Park would fail to meet them.
The move represented a win for the business community, which had lobbied to postpone new restrictions on ground-level ozone—known as smog—until 2013 in light of the current economic downturn. It also raised questions about the fate of several other controversial air quality regulations EPA is preparing to finalize this year.
Sadly, I must report that this isn’t the real story here. For the full effect, we need to go to the official White House statement on this, in which President Obama states, (apparently with a straight face):
Statement by the President on the Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards | The White House

the rest ..
Obama: “I have continued to underscore the importance of reducing regulatory burdens” « Hot Air

I'm leaning towards this being a phoney orchestrated press fart. Read the link above the WhiteHouse. You should know that this ozone level thing is reviewed EVERY five years. Scheduled for review by 2013. So evidently in 2008, the EPA suspended the 75ppb implementation and asserted the 60 to 75ppb "goal". THEN -- the EPA starts drafting a 60ppb implementation BEFORE this comes up review in 2013.

I think it's all theatre. Designed to make Obama look like he's really concerned about the impact to the economy. When in reality the Admin has just shed some criticism that they can't afford to take right now. Score Obama nothing -- the environment nothing. It's a draw.

Remember TREES cause pollution. At least at the levels that the EPA wants to adopt.

Forum List

Back