Obama....'recess appointments'...and GOP tactics

Nat

If Obama doesn't like the fact that the Constitution gives Congress a say on appointments, maybe he should make up a law overturning the Constitution.
Nat

If Obama doesn't like the fact that the Constitution gives Congress a say on appointments, maybe he should make up a law overturning the Constitution.
The trouble is that Congress isn't saying anything. They just hold up appointments and won't vote on anything.

Will you hold that same opinion when Ted Cruz is President?

This may seem like a trick question, but it is not

Not a trick question? Perhaps, but a delusional one?
Without doubt.....but PLEASE, dear God, let the right wingers nominate Cruz......

But Congress is not approving appointments which hurts the operation of the government..
That's fine win me. The more the government grinds to a halt, the better.
Yeah, it helps catapult the propaganda that government doesn't work. It would work just fine if we could get rid of all the obstructionist republicans that refuse to let it work.

If by "working" you mean oppressing and looting the productive citizens of this country. Government performs no services that I want it to perform. None. For government to grind to a complete halt would be the best thing that ever happened to this country.
Yeah, I'm sure that repugs would just love it if there was no government oversight. Business could do whatever it wanted. Polluters could pollute freely. Banksters could fleece the public. National treasures could be sold off to the highest bidder. We could become a republican dream state like Somalia in no time at all.

None of those scary scenarios will occur. Such issues were resolved by communities long before the state ever got involved. That's what "common law" is. It's non governmental law.

Congress should have thirty days to approve or disapprove an appointment. After thirty days the appointment becomes official without Congress whether they are in session or not

Perfect and sound idea....surely 30 days should be enough for those camera whores to strut their approval or dissent.

Congress should not have the authority to shut down the executive branch or the judicial branch through inaction

If the want the right to approve or disapprove appointments, they should use it
I'll bet you think Congress should just take orders from Obama and do whatever he tells it to do.

I think Congress should do its job

It is doing its job. We elected it to stop Obama. Sorry if that chaps your ass.

Borillar

Holding up votes and not voting on anything? Think they took lessons from Harry Reid?

Search engines are your friend, dumb ass.

Senate stays in session to block Bush recess appointments - CNN.com

How irate are you know?

I am sure that it won't make a bit of difference to your biased half brain.......but your example....from your own link.....shows that conditions wee a bit different when Bush was using the THANKSGIVING (a legitimate break for congress) break to push recess appointments...and this, after the disastrous appointment of war-mongering John-how's-my-moustache-Bolton to the UN...... From your link:

Reid said the Bush administration had informed him that several recess appointments would be made during the Thanksgiving break.

How irate are you know?

I am sure that it won't make a bit of difference to your biased half brain.......but your example....from your own link.....shows that conditions wee a bit different when Bush was using the THANKSGIVING (a legitimate break for congress) to push recess appointments after the disastrous appointment of war-mongering John-how's-may-moustache-Bolton to the UN...... From your link:

Reid said the Bush administration had informed him that several recess appointments would be made during the Thanksgiving break.

What was "disastrous" about his appointment? That's one of the best appointments he made.

Will you hold that same opinion when Ted Cruz is President?

This may seem like a trick question, but it is not

Not a trick question? Perhaps, but a delusional one?
Without doubt.....but PLEASE, dear God, let the right wingers nominate Cruz......

What do they say about being careful what you wish for?

Who are 'they' anyway? Is there, like, a 'they.com' web site that everyone reads the first thing in the morning?

Edit add; Dang, there is a web site called 'they.com'.

Last edited:
Borillar

Holding up votes and not voting on anything? Think they took lessons from Harry Reid?
More likely learned from grand obstructionist Jesse Helms during the Clinton administration. That is not to say I approve of Harry Reid or his tactics. I think appointments and legislation should be allowed to be debated and voted on. Not indefinitely tabled, amended, blocked, held, etc.

How irate are you know?

I am sure that it won't make a bit of difference to your biased half brain.......but your example....from your own link.....shows that conditions wee a bit different when Bush was using the THANKSGIVING (a legitimate break for congress) break to push recess appointments...and this, after the disastrous appointment of war-mongering John-how's-my-moustache-Bolton to the UN...... From your link:

So not only are you a hypocrite, you're also a liar.

Senate holds 12-second session to block Bush - CNN.com

Here's what your dear leader said on the subject:

In 2005, Senator Obama said Bush’s recess appointments were “the wrong thing to do,” to appoint people who “couldn’t get through a Senate nomination.”

As senator Obama blasted Bush on recess appointments - PostBulletin.com Letters

I guess he's a hypocrite and a liar also.

Here's an article that will give you a bit better education on the subject, you need it.

Supreme Court unanimously rules Obama s recess appointments unconstitutional - Vox

I'll bet you think Congress should just take orders from Obama and do whatever he tells it to do.

Only an idiot would state that.....and YOU rose to the "challenge."

Yes, any idiot would state that Congress should just take orders from Obama and do whatever he tells it to do, and that's exactly what rightwinger suggested. IN fact, that's what all libturds claim whenever there's a dispute between Obama and Congress.

Last edited:

In 2005, Senator Obama said Bush’s recess appointments were “the wrong thing to do,” to appoint people who “couldn’t get through a Senate nomination.”

Here's an article that will give you a bit better education on the subject, you need it.

NO, NO, NO......you are missing (as expected) the whole point.

We are not debating the validity of recess appointment BUT, instead, the necessity for such a method of appointing....

I really do not expect right wing jerks to discern the difference.....

In Bush's case, (his brain, Cheney) wanted to appoint cronies who would never pass muster in the senate, so they waited until the senate was LEGITIMATELY in recess.............

In Obama's case, virtually NO ONE would be ever appointed because, regardless of qualifications, republicans would block them or not take any action........

In the former case(Bush's), recess appointments were used to pass through folks who would be voted down.....

In the latter case (Obama's) recess appointments were used to pass through folks who would never be even voted upon.

I don't expect for right wingers to follow the logic, but, hopefully saner posters will.

Nat

And the Republicans are taking a pass on people who would be voted down. They don't want Obama's choices.

And before you go off on another stupid rant, the Republicans do have the ability to vote their own leadership out, but they are standing behind them.

So, "majority rules" applies. And majority doesn't mean "because Obama said so".

this entire debate could be over IF the republican senate members would simply decide to YES........we will vote down ANY appointment request made by the Obama administration....

Instead they either "table" the request and do NOTHING, or rely on their cronies on the corrupt SC to back them up on their UNWILLINGNESS to do their jobs.

NO, NO, NO......you are missing (as expected) the whole point.

We are not debating the validity of recess appointment BUT, instead, the necessity for such a method of appointing....

I really do not expect right wing jerks to discern the difference.....

In Bush's case, (his brain, Cheney) wanted to appoint cronies who would never pass muster in the senate, so they waited until the senate was LEGITIMATELY in recess.............

In Obama's case, virtually NO ONE would be ever appointed because, regardless of qualifications, republicans would block them or not take any action........

In the former case(Bush's), recess appointments were used to pass through folks who would be voted down.....

In the latter case (Obama's) recess appointments were used to pass through folks who would never be even voted upon.

I don't expect for right wingers to follow the logic, but, hopefully saner posters will.

Keep talking instead of reading, you're just proving how ignorant you really are. Your dear leaders recess appointments of union cronies to the NLRB was done because they would have never gotten senate confirmation.

Feel free to keep trying to play your word games and saying, but.......but.......but what you guys did wasn't done for really good reasons like my guys. It just demonstrate how deep your hypocrisy goes. Carry on child.

He was absolutely correct. The International Criminal Court is a kangaroo court populated with leftists who hate America. Making the United States subject to their decisions is something only the insane would agree with.

this entire debate could be over IF the republican senate members would simply decide to YES........we will vote down ANY appointment request made by the Obama administration....

Instead they either "table" the request and do NOTHING, or rely on their cronies on the corrupt SC to back them up on their UNWILLINGNESS to do their jobs.

You need to get it through your thick skull that the senate sets its own calendar, they really could give a holly crap what you think about it, just like the commiecrats didn't give a holly crap about what the republicans thought of it.

Forum List

Back