NY Times Has Pity Party For Dixie Chicks

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The Bush bashing Dixie Chicks have had to cancel conserts due to lack of ticket sales, their music is not being played on country radio stations, the Chicks have lashed out and bashed their fans for supproting Pres Bush.

Of course, the Chicks do not blame thier antics for their trouble, no the Chocks and NY Times blames conservatives and others are afraid of being "Dixies Chicked"

What a laugh! Don't blame the Chicks for bashing their country, their Presindent, and their fans - blame the "evil" conservatives.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7094
NY Times Claims 'Fury' Against Dixie Chicks Causing Country Music Liberals to Clam Up
Posted by Clay Waters on August 21, 2006 - 12:06.
NY Times Nashville-based reporter Theo Emery has a story on those poor, persecuted Democratic country-music songwriters in Saturday's "In Nashville, Sounds of Political Uprising From the Left."

"Country music videos flashed on a television set at the Idle Hour, a Music Row bar where a Crock-Pot of beef stew simmered for hungry musicians.

"Sitting at a table in early August, Bobby Braddock, the longtime songwriter, lamented the conservatism of the country music industry that was demonstrated when the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks became a target of fury three years ago after saying she was ashamed that her band and President Bush shared the same home state.

"Asked whether his recent song 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' would have airplay, Mr. Braddock said, 'Oh, never.'

"'Something political will not get played on country radio unless it’s on the conservative side,' he added. 'If you show both sides, it’s not good enough. It’s got to be just on the right.'"

(You can hear a clip of "Thou Shalt Not Kill" at the Music Row Democrats website and judge for yourself if Braddock's song is being kept from the airwaves purely for political reasons, or because the dopey lyrics would get it laughed off the air.)

"Country music, the genre of lonely hearts and highways, lost jobs and blue-collar woes, has become a cultural battleground. Conservatism is widely seen as having the upper hand, a red-state answer to left-leaning Hollywood."

Emery can't seem to find much actual prosecution, so he circles back to the pogrom against the Dixie Chicks.

"Though Music Row occupies a small patch of Nashville, it looms large over the city’s culture. When the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, said at a concert in London in March 2003, 'We’re ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas,' the reaction was fierce and swift.

"Country stations stopped playing the group’s songs. Talk-radio hosts urged listeners to complain about Ms. Maines’s remarks. And a Nashville audience of 18,000 booed the host of a music awards show who urged forgiveness.

"None of that was lost on Music Row. Democratic songwriters say that they have since hesitated to express political views, for fear of being 'Dixie Chicked.'"

If by being "Dixie Chicked," they mean fawning cover stories in Entertainment Weekly and Time Magazine, as well as having a #1 album on the Billboard charts this summer, Times Watch imagines plenty of songwriters would submit to the procedure.

The Bush bashing Dixie Chicks have had to cancel conserts due to lack of ticket sales, their music is not being played on country radio stations, the Chicks have lashed out and bashed their fans for supproting Pres Bush.

Of course, the Chicks do not blame thier antics for their trouble, no the Chocks and NY Times blames conservatives and others are afraid of being "Dixies Chicked"

What a laugh! Don't blame the Chicks for bashing their country, their Presindent, and their fans - blame the "evil" conservatives.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7094
NY Times Claims 'Fury' Against Dixie Chicks Causing Country Music Liberals to Clam Up
Posted by Clay Waters on August 21, 2006 - 12:06.
NY Times Nashville-based reporter Theo Emery has a story on those poor, persecuted Democratic country-music songwriters in Saturday's "In Nashville, Sounds of Political Uprising From the Left."

"Country music videos flashed on a television set at the Idle Hour, a Music Row bar where a Crock-Pot of beef stew simmered for hungry musicians.

"Sitting at a table in early August, Bobby Braddock, the longtime songwriter, lamented the conservatism of the country music industry that was demonstrated when the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks became a target of fury three years ago after saying she was ashamed that her band and President Bush shared the same home state.

"Asked whether his recent song 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' would have airplay, Mr. Braddock said, 'Oh, never.'

"'Something political will not get played on country radio unless it’s on the conservative side,' he added. 'If you show both sides, it’s not good enough. It’s got to be just on the right.'"

(You can hear a clip of "Thou Shalt Not Kill" at the Music Row Democrats website and judge for yourself if Braddock's song is being kept from the airwaves purely for political reasons, or because the dopey lyrics would get it laughed off the air.)

"Country music, the genre of lonely hearts and highways, lost jobs and blue-collar woes, has become a cultural battleground. Conservatism is widely seen as having the upper hand, a red-state answer to left-leaning Hollywood."

Emery can't seem to find much actual prosecution, so he circles back to the pogrom against the Dixie Chicks.

"Though Music Row occupies a small patch of Nashville, it looms large over the city’s culture. When the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, said at a concert in London in March 2003, 'We’re ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas,' the reaction was fierce and swift.

"Country stations stopped playing the group’s songs. Talk-radio hosts urged listeners to complain about Ms. Maines’s remarks. And a Nashville audience of 18,000 booed the host of a music awards show who urged forgiveness.

"None of that was lost on Music Row. Democratic songwriters say that they have since hesitated to express political views, for fear of being 'Dixie Chicked.'"

If by being "Dixie Chicked," they mean fawning cover stories in Entertainment Weekly and Time Magazine, as well as having a #1 album on the Billboard charts this summer, Times Watch imagines plenty of songwriters would submit to the procedure.
Yawn.

I freaking love it. The biggest country music radio station here in town refuses to play anything from the new DC album. We have lots of small business here that advertises via radio and they've told the stations that if they play anything from the new album, the ads will be yanked.

I freaking love it. The biggest country music radio station here in town refuses to play anything from the new DC album. We have lots of small business here that advertises via radio and they've told the stations that if they play anything from the new album, the ads will be yanked.

Same here. Every once in awhile we'll hear one on KJ-97, then "poof" gone again for six months. And they're from right up the road. Can't even get hometown support.

Same here. Every once in awhile we'll hear one on KJ-97, then "poof" gone again for six months. And they're from right up the road. Can't even get hometown support.

Literally right up the road in my case. Natalie Mains went to Lubbock High which is about half a mile from the shop.

Literally right up the road in my case. Natalie Mains went to Lubbock High which is about half a mile from the shop.

Emily and Charlie Robison are from Bandera, about 40 miles NW of SA. Notice how Charlie has kept his mouth FIRMLY shut. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the Robison house come bill-paying time.

What I find the most pathetic about the Dixie Chick nonsense is how much press time they keep getting.

They voiced their opinions. Their fans did not like their opinions and reacted. Rather than apologize or stop voicing their opinions publically, the Dixie Chicks increased the amount of political opinion they put out, their fans left them. The Dixie Chicks are sad and want new fans. The liberal music listeners seem to be willing to become these fans - even if its just because they don't like the conservative music listeners. End of story.

The Dixie Chicks had and continue to have every right to voice their opinions. Their fans had every right to stop listening. God bless freedom of speech and expression - both are illustrated beautifully.

Why is this a story?

It seems to me that the liberal media just wants to keep dredging it up again and again - making the Dixie Chicks out to be true victims of something rather than what they are - opinionated women who CHOSE to make their political beliefs public and then, unhappy with the reaction of their fans and their decreasing sales, attempted to market themselves as poor, little victims of evil christian conservatives.

If I walk into my teacher's lounge tomorrow and tell the teachers there that I voted for Bush in the last election - I can guarantee that at least half of them will think less of me. Several will give serious consideration to not being "friendly" with me anymore. I know this because of listening to their conversations regarding politics, the last Presidential election, and current events.

Because I do not feel that the work place is the correct place to voice political opinions - I generally do not express my political views there. Is my freedom of speech being stifled? No - because I am CHOOSING not to voice my opinion. I COULD if I wanted to - but I would have to be willing to suffer the consequences of that action. I don't feel like dealing with moronic - "I can't believe you support that idiot!" comments every day of the week - so I don't voice my opinion as often or as loudly as I would like. Thats called making choices, thats called life.

The Dixie Chicks didn't want to play by those rules - they wanted to scream and yell and pout and have everyone applaud them for it and give them lots of money. It didn't work out the way they planned - so they have found another way to scream and yell and pout and make money doing so.

Forum List

Back