NY could be first state to ban declawing of cats

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Declawing sounds like animal torture to me.

NY could be first state to ban declawing of cats

may 17 2016 ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York would be the first state to ban the declawing of cats under a legislative proposal that has divided veterinarians.

Several vets — along with a spokescat named Rubio — came to the state Capitol on Tuesday to lobby for the ban. They say the declawing procedure, which involves cutting through bone, tendon and nerves to amputate the first segment of a cat's toes, is unnecessary and cruel. Australia, Britain and several European countries already ban the practice. It's also illegal in Los Angeles and some other California cities.

"It's a disfiguring, inhumane and misguided procedure," said Eileen Jefferson, an Ulster County veterinarian who does not perform the procedure. She said about 25 percent of cats will be declawed.

What good is a cat without claws? It would be like having a dog's olfactory nerves removed or his teeth taken out.

If you're so concerned about a cat clawing up your furniture, maybe you shouldn't get a cat.

I have had cats with claws and cats that have been declawed. For a housecat that doesn't go out, they are healthier and happier declawed.

I have had cats with claws and cats that have been declawed. For a housecat that doesn't go out, they are healthier and happier declawed.
how would you know they are happier?....
If you cannot tell whether or not your pet is happy, maybe you shouldn't have a pet at all.

Housecats that never go out don't use their claws aggressively. Especially if trained. They get lazy about using the scratching post. Their claws don't shed as they should and get thick and infected. The claw has to be removed anyway. Just one at a time.

Cats declawed as kittens don't experience a loss at all.

LOL Lthis is fucking hilarious

Liberal " it's okay to cut your son's penis off to "make him a girl" but don't you declaw a cat"

you goddamned loons need to commit mass suicide for the betterment of humanity.

how would you know they are happier?....
If you cannot tell whether or not your pet is happy, maybe you shouldn't have a pet at all.

Housecats that never go out don't use their claws aggressively. Especially if trained. They get lazy about using the scratching post. Their claws don't shed as they should and get thick and infected. The claw has to be removed anyway. Just one at a time.

Cats declawed as kittens don't experience a loss at all.
not my question was it?.....but nice dance....

There are cities in California that banned the declawing of cats. The result was way fewer cats were adopted and had to be euthanized.

There are some areas where the government should just let people make decisions for themselves

Forum List

Back