Nursing home owners drained cash while residents deteriorated, state filings suggest

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Nursing home owners drained cash while residents deteriorated, state filings suggest

New York state records show nearly half the state

As the U.S. government debates whether to require higher staffing levels at nursing homes, financial records show some owners routinely push profits to sister companies while residents are neglected.
(Image credit: Maskot/Getty Images)
npr-rss-pixel.png

Remote : Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:10:57 -0500
Local : 2023-01-31(Tuesday) 18 : 10 : 57

Found via https://nicer.app/business

what a disgrace...

New York state records show nearly half the state

As the U.S. government debates whether to require higher staffing levels at nursing homes, financial records show some owners routinely push profits to sister companies while residents are neglected.
(Image credit: Maskot/Getty Images)
npr-rss-pixel.png

Remote : Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:10:57 -0500
Local : 2023-01-31(Tuesday) 18 : 10 : 57

Found via https://nicer.app/business

what a disgrace...

I don't think this is uncommon.

Early in my career, back in the 90's I guess I picked up shifts at local nursing homes. I have not thought about this for a long time but I can tell you all kinds of stories about how long term care facilities bilked money from their patients. For example, we had band aids that cost the facility about .30 cents. The charge tag cost about that, so the NH would double that and charge the patient 1.25.

I do not remember the exact numbers but back in the day a long term patient might have paid $200 a day or something like that. I noticed every few months some of my patients would get put on bed rest and start heparin so they would not get clots, yet I could find no real health change. IF a patient was on bed rest and heparin their status changed to acute care and the charges per day tripled. And the facility made the profit on the heparin too. Insurance only paid every quarter or six months, I dont remember. BUt looking back though the patients charts that was exactly how often they became acute care. Oh, and respiratory therapy...one of my patients died on a Friday. Seems she was charged for breathing treatments until the next Tuesday (several days, I don't remember exactly, seems like it was about the time of her funeral. The point with this one was RT just charged her for resp treatments, probably for years, without actually giving her one, or they would have noticed her room was empty.

Two of the places I picked up shifts had a full time RN to find ways like I just described to make more money. If medicare or insurance would pay for a procedure or med, if there was any possible to rationalize it, the patients got it. Oh, another one, the patients had to buy their meds from the facility pharmacy. They overcharged for the meds anyway and patients paid one price if the meds could be filled every month. If filled more often than once a month there was a 10% or so surcharge. You guessed it, they filled the meds every two weeks routinely.

The nursing home industry is a tough racket, no doubt about it.

The high degree of regulation they have, the government involvement in paying for such a high percentage of the patients, the pressure from Big Labor to get a bigger and bigger beachhead, it isn't a business for amateurs.

My fully vaxxed mom had a bout with the covid that damn near took her out and she had to go into resident rehab (nursing home) for six weeks to get her strength back.

The one they wanted to send her to in town I knew sucked so I sent her to one about 20 miles away that had good reviews but I swear they must have had shills writing the reviews for them.

What they were feeding her would not keep a bird alive and here she was trying to regain her strength. I swear had it not been for me bringing her meals into her every-other day I believe she would have checked-out.

The nursing home industry is a tough racket, no doubt about it.

The high degree of regulation they have, the government involvement in paying for such a high percentage of the patients, the pressure from Big Labor to get a bigger and bigger beachhead, it isn't a business for amateurs.
Regulation? Big labor? You are kidding, right? The regulations are often written by the owners and corporation of the facilities to make more money and are further manipulated as much as possible to scam even more profit. IF you are talking about unions, there are no unionized nursing homes in this state that are not fed or state ran. Where did you come up with big labor? Govt regs, are there but mainly not to benefit the patients.

Hospitals were getting $38,000 for every patient placed on a ventilator. (The Real Anthony Fauci)

Forum List

Back