Now Here's A Guy Living His Best Life

WillPower

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2018
I've never skateboarded or surfed....always thought I might have been good at it though....Had a buddy named Wavey Davey who skated NCAR Hill outside of Boulder....I drove the follow car while he did all his moves including "the mummy" on his back stiff as the board....and he never fell. :shock:

Used to live on a hill while living in Frenchtown MT that was around 1/2 mile long, with a pretty decent grade. Was able to hit 35 to 40 mph going down that thing, and the fun part, was that at the bottom, there was a 90 degree turn that was BANKED! Came at it from the outside, grabbing my board and leaning back, and slingshotted the curve.

Some parts of my childhood were pretty great.

I've never skateboarded or surfed....always thought I might have been good at it though....Had a buddy named Wavey Davey who skated NCAR Hill outside of Boulder....I drove the follow car while he did all his moves including "the mummy" on his back stiff as the board....and he never fell. :shock:

Man, if I could only skateboard like him. That was awesome!

Used to live on a hill while living in Frenchtown MT that was around 1/2 mile long, with a pretty decent grade. Was able to hit 35 to 40 mph going down that thing, and the fun part, was that at the bottom, there was a 90 degree turn that was BANKED! Came at it from the outside, grabbing my board and leaning back, and slingshotted the curve.

Some parts of my childhood were pretty great.

I lived in SF, where the hills were long and step. We didn't have commercial skateboards, we took old style roller blades, the type used on the streets in the 1950's, separated the front wheels from the rear wheels and nailed them on a piece of 2 by 4.

• Banned
When the craze started in the 60's back in Detroit, I was already in my GTO and then off to the Army. But I always secretly wanted to try skateboarding or surfing and then I got too busy. My kids were all good at it and goaded me into trying it but one good crash and I'd have never heard the end of it. I was their hero but that can end in the blink of an eye when they're better than you at something. :neutral:

When the craze started in the 60's back in Detroit, I was already in my GTO and then off to the Army. But I always secretly wanted to try skateboarding or surfing and then I got too busy. My kids were all good at it and goaded me into trying it but one good crash and I'd have never heard the end of it. I was their hero but that can end in the blink of an eye when they're better than you at something. :neutral:

Well, since you're a bit older, I would recommend surfing over skateboarding. Water is softer than pavement and doesn't chew on your flesh as much. While I still ride a bike and occasionally rollerblade, I'm too old to ride a skateboard anymore.

If given the chance, I will surf however.

• Banned
Well, since you're a bit older, I would recommend surfing over skateboarding. Water is softer than pavement and doesn't chew on your flesh as much. While I still ride a bike and occasionally rollerblade, I'm too old to ride a skateboard anymore.

If given the chance, I will surf however.

I grew up on the Great Lakes (tiny waves or storm riptides) and don't care for saltwater. Got bumped by a shark off Daytona Beach and damn near drowned by a rogue wave off Huntington Beach. Both oceans were telling me I wasn't welcome and I agreed to stay away from them. :lol:

Did a lot a lot of skateboarding as a youngster including some down hill stuff.
Me and a Bud were at a local park that had a perfect one mile down hill with twisties that you could easily hit 40 on.
The cop that patrolled the park was really cool and he'd hit us with his radar to confirm our speed.
My Buddy was mid way down when an ambulance was coming up the hill and ran him off the road onto an oyster shell road.
Needless to say he got shredded by the oyster shells.
He came up cussing "the bitch"who was driving the ambulance....turned out she was the cops girlfriend who was coming to see him on her lunch break.
She patched him up and the cop laughed it off.

Forum List

Back