No repeal this year to Gay marriage ban in California

They're absolutely NOT worth pursuing, to the point that there needs to be a separation between matrimony and state.

Create your own power of attorney and trust documents.

:doubt:

We've been through this before:

Marriage Rights and Benefits
Learn some of the legal and practical ways that getting married changes your life.

Whether or not you favor marriage as a social institution, there's no denying that it confers many rights, protections, and benefits -- both legal and practical. Some of these vary from state to state, but the list typically includes:
Tax Benefits

* Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
* Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits

* Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
* Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
* Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
* Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits

* Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
* Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
* Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits

* Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
* Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
* Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
* Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits

* Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
* Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits

* Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
* Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits

* Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
* Applying for joint foster care rights.
* Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
* Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits

* Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
* Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits

* Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
* Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
* Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections

* Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
* Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
* Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
* Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
* Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
* Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Note that if you are in a same-sex marriage in one of the five states where same-sex marriage is allowed (Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont) or a domestic partnership or civil union in any of the states that offer those relationship options, none of the benefits of marriage under federal law will apply to you, because the federal government does not recognize these same-sex relationships. For example, you may not file joint federal income tax returns with your partner, even if your state allows you to file jointly. And other federal benefits, such as Social Security death benefits and COBRA continuation insurance coverage, may not apply.

To learn more about the rights and benefits available to same-sex couples, consult a lawyer with expertise in this area and see Making It Legal:A Guide to Same-Sex Marriage, Domestic Partnerships & Civil Unions, by Frederick Hertz with Emily Doskow (Nolo).
Marriage Rights and Benefits - Free Legal Information - Nolo

As I suspected all along...It's all about getting in on gravy train benefits extended by third parties, rather than protecting ones rights to contract and have those agreements enforced.

Thanks for your inadvertent honesty.

Inadvertent honesty? :cuckoo:

Equal benefits under the law and NOT emotional acceptance like the gay haters like to say.

As I suspected all along...It's all about getting in on gravy train benefits extended by third parties, rather than protecting ones rights to contract and have those agreements enforced.

Actually as much as getting the SAME benefits, rights and protections as law-abiding tax paying citizens.

So...you support the government's gender discrimination, do you?

Actually as much as getting the SAME benefits, rights and protections as law-abiding tax paying citizens.

Its not gender discrimination.

I am a straight male... I cannot marry a man either.
My wife is a straight female... she cannot marry a woman either.

No discrimination.. same rules for every female and male.

Last edited:
Actually, I am one of the ones who will help us win. 18,000 of us have legal marriage...others do not. That is unequal treatment under the law...classic Segregation. And it will go away just like those colored drinking fountains went away. We aren't going away. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Not unequal treatment. I am straight and can't marry a man either.

That argument worked really well for the Segregationists in the Loving v. Virginia case. :lol::lol::lol:

That ruling struck down a law that was based on race. A white man didn't have the same rights as a black man. That is discrimination.

Completely different.

Another example of a few idiots trying to force their perverted life style on everyone else. The people of cal. have voted, stop crying and except the loss. Right has won.

Really, so they are trying to pass a law telling heterosexuals they have to have gay sex? Another intellectually dishonest USMB piece of shit

I don't support special rights and privileges bestowed upon the hoi polloy, from people who are supposed to be our servants (not our masters), in any case.

Your way of approaching the problem merely leaves the perverted system in place, whereby you elevate those servants to the role of master.

Its not gender discrimination.

I am a straight male... I cannot marry a man either.
My wife is a straight female... she cannot marry a woman either.

No discrimination.. same rules for every female and male.

It most certainly IS gender discrimination....no one is stopping someone from marrying because they are GAY....however, they are stopping someone from marrying based on their gender and the gender of their chosen partner. THAT is gender discrimination.

Not unequal treatment. I am straight and can't marry a man either.

That argument worked really well for the Segregationists in the Loving v. Virginia case. :lol::lol::lol:

That ruling struck down a law that was based on race. A white man didn't have the same rights as a black man. That is discrimination.

Completely different.

Show us in the ruling that it is ONLY about race. I look forward to your answer.

I don't support special rights and privileges bestowed upon the hoi polloy, from people who are supposed to be our servants (not our masters), in any case.

Your way of approaching the problem merely leaves the perverted system in place, whereby you elevate those servants to the role of master.

You DO support the government's gender discrimination...shame on you.

So you support the right of Incestuous marriages as well? I mean that would be discrimination as well. I mean all that matters is legal age and consenting adults right?

So you support the right of Incestuous marriages as well? I mean that would be discrimination as well. I mean all that matters is legal age and consenting adults right?

Disallowing incest marriages is gender discrimnation? Kindly show me how that is, please.

Disallowing incest marriages is gender discrimnation? Kindly show me how that is, please.

Gender? Did I say Gender? Please highlight where I said that. I said it was discrimination. But being a gay all you care about is YOUR punch lines.

It is simple, if gays are normal and allowed to marry because they are 2 consenting adults and nothing else matters, then so are Incestuous relationships formed between two consenting adults. Your whole argument hinges on the CONSENTING ADULTS part. We are to accept abnormal abhorrent behavior simply because two consenting adults want it. Go ahead explain again how you are all for equality, except when it offends YOUR senses.

Gender? Did I say Gender? Please highlight where I said that. I said it was discrimination. But being a gay all you care about is YOUR punch lines.

It is simple, if gays are normal and allowed to marry because they are 2 consenting adults and nothing else matters, then so are Incestuous relationships formed between two consenting adults. Your whole argument hinges on the CONSENTING ADULTS part. We are to accept abnormal abhorrent behavior simply because two consenting adults want it. Go ahead explain again how you are all for equality, except when it offends YOUR senses.

Sorry...but not allowing gay marriage is gender discrimination. Not allowing incestuous marriage is NOT gender discrimination.

So...It appears to me that you support gender discrimination by the government. My whole argument hinges on things like Prop 8 are GENDER discrimination. You are apparently ok with the government doing that.

Actually, I am one of the ones who will help us win. 18,000 of us have legal marriage...others do not. That is unequal treatment under the law...classic Segregation. And it will go away just like those colored drinking fountains went away. We aren't going away. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Calling your vile couplings a 'marriage' will never make them anymore than vile couplings.

Say HALLELUJAH! :cuckoo:

My nomination for judgmental post of the month.

gay marriage should of never ever change in California from the start. they get it soon.. the only place i don't see it happening any time soon would be teaxs

Forum List

Back