No More Carrying Groceries Home!

"A new mobile shopping experience is coming to major cities around China with a subway network, and is currently being tested in Shanghai and Beijing.

The idea is simple -- and it's basically a rip-off of what Tesco Homeplus has done in South Korea, where mobile penetration rates are among the highest in the world.

Subway stations have been converted into virtual supermarkets. All you'll need to do is to scan the QR codes of the products you want, and once you're done with your purchase, the goods are delivered to your doorstep when you get home. Shopping done!

So successful and game-changing is this technology that Tesco has become the top online supermarket in South Korea and a "very close second" offline."

Subway supermarket shopping comes to Shanghai - Shanghaiist

Virtual QR Code Supermarket in Korean Subway - Tesco - YouTube
The American Credo of 'efficiency, convenience and economy' achieves a new level. We have those damn codes on the ads on the buses in the Twin Cities. You can scan the sides of buses for it as they pass you. I'm just amazed. There's part of me who loves this, and a larger part who hates this.

I do nearly all of our grocery shopping. I don't mind it at all. I usually run into someone I know and BS for a while...... And I get the freshest stuff...... Today I was in 4 different stores, Of course I was after some very different things than normal.

Home Depot
Sears (didn't have what I needed)
Bed Bath & Beyond (That beyond part is scary)
And Giant Eagle Grocery

Does anyone actually go grocery shopping any more? I order on line and have them delivered.
I do because I find cheaper prices at the stores like Aldi's and grocery liquidation outlets. Cant knock a quart of blueberries for a buck, can you?

Does anyone still cook?

Like, you know...recipies...aromas...quick tastes before it goes into the oven...a sip of wine while you watch the timer count down...

Mc'Donalds will not inherit the earth.

I cook...and bake. :eusa_whistle:

Besides I'm yet to find a need for a smart phone................
I'm waiting for the 10 dollar smartphone with unlimited internet time. Till then I'm good without one. I mean jeeze, I just got one that had a color screen AND took pictures. I could care less to be honest. having one is now finally just not a nuisance and doesn't feel like a leash to work or anyone else.

Does anyone still cook?

Like, you know...recipies...aromas...quick tastes before it goes into the oven...a sip of wine while you watch the timer count down...

Mc'Donalds will not inherit the earth.

I cook...and bake. :eusa_whistle:
yes yes... stop tormenting the single bachelors who can't make more than raman or canned soup.

I'm hell at hot dish.

I love grocery shopping. I love the farmers market. I love the butcher.

I want to be able to see, smell and choose my goods. :)

This is not a new concept. Safeway already delivers. Anyone ever hear of Schwan's? In some areas Schwan's carries milk and other dairy products.
In another city I used to live in, the pharmacy would deliver, no charge.

I do agree with picking out my own fresh fruits and veggies and cuts of meat.
I also love the smell of a 'real' deli.

This is not a new concept. Safeway already delivers. Anyone ever hear of Schwan's? In some areas Schwan's carries milk and other dairy products.
In another city I used to live in, the pharmacy would deliver, no charge.

I do agree with picking out my own fresh fruits and veggies and cuts of meat.
I also love the smell of a 'real' deli.
Schwan's icecream rocks, but their food is expensive. Gopher Grocery here in the Twin Cities is another one. And Corborn's rounds off the top three. I hear Lund's and Byerly's will also have personal shoppers and delivery for you too. Again very expensive.

The markets in NYC have delivered groceries of years. You go in... buy your stuff... and it all shows up latter.

For a price.

I think there's a charge for about two pounds...and free after fifteen pounds...

Of course, your local supermarket probably has lower prices...

Oh...I forgot...this might mean the end of your job as greeter at Wal-Marts!

Redirect Notice

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR2xMw5-FZ8]Jeff Dunham and Walter (Welcome to Walmart) - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, man, that's funny....

...hey....are you making fun of Rocks???

That's my job....get your own piñata!!

I think there's a charge for about two pounds...and free after fifteen pounds...

Of course, your local supermarket probably has lower prices...

Oh...I forgot...this might mean the end of your job as greeter at Wal-Marts!

Redirect Notice

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR2xMw5-FZ8]Jeff Dunham and Walter (Welcome to Walmart) - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, man, that's funny....

...hey....are you making fun of Rocks???

That's my job....get your own piñata!!

Now for the next 20 years every time you see or hear about a Walmart greeter you will think of Walter......

Does anyone actually go grocery shopping any more? I order on line and have them delivered.

I still do. The local food delivery place is rather overpriced. I would love to order online but find that I won't do so unless the prices are comparable.

They charge? :eek: Not here. I log on, and all the items I usually purchase are in my 'favorites', I check what I want, add any extras, hit 'check out', click 'paypal', check a delivery time and date and I'm done.

My local farm store will also deliver, and I sometimes do that but I kinda like to go there and check out what's nice... and they have a really nice coffee shop attached with homemade cake and stuff.

Delivery charge is rather meaningless. It is the price per item that counts. 10 bucks per delivery is nothing if the goods were the same price. If the average price is 10% higher though, thats another story altogether...

"A new mobile shopping experience is coming to major cities around China with a subway network, and is currently being tested in Shanghai and Beijing.

The idea is simple -- and it's basically a rip-off of what Tesco Homeplus has done in South Korea, where mobile penetration rates are among the highest in the world.

Subway stations have been converted into virtual supermarkets. All you'll need to do is to scan the QR codes of the products you want, and once you're done with your purchase, the goods are delivered to your doorstep when you get home. Shopping done!

So successful and game-changing is this technology that Tesco has become the top online supermarket in South Korea and a "very close second" offline."

Subway supermarket shopping comes to Shanghai - Shanghaiist

Virtual QR Code Supermarket in Korean Subway - Tesco - YouTube

I'd rather do my own damn shopping thank you.

Forum List

Back