No Charges Against Colorado Cop For Killing The “Good-Guy-With-a-Gun” Holding Shooter’s Rifle

Kick it away out of bad guy's reach and make sure nobody touches it. Don't even think of picking it up, period.
I agree with this.

Kick it away from the shooter. Holster your weapon. Keep others from touching ANYTHING including the weapon. Obey all police commands with exactness but very slowly like molasses in winter.

So if you are armed and a mugger accosts you and you pull your weapon, when the cops show up it will be understandable when they shoot you?
If accosted by a mugger, I will shoot the mugger until he is no long a threat, and re-holster my weapon and be holding my hands up above my head. Very unlikely a cop will shoot me in that situation.

Gotta clear. Can't leave a hot weapon laying around.
Yes you can. It is not your weapon. Let the civil authorities clear the weapon. You do not want it in your possession or your fingerprints on it, or to be seen with it. It will only complicate your life, and if you just had to shoot a real live bad guy, your life is going to be complicated enough. Don't do it.

No Charges Against Colorado Cop For Killing The “Good-Guy-With-a-Gun” Holding Shooter’s Rifle

On a June day earlier this year, good-guy-with-a-gun John Hurley “fatally shot the gunman, Ronald Troyke, 59, with his own handgun after Troyke ambushed and killed Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley with a shotgun.”

Moments later, another officer arrived on the scene of the shootings. Not realizing Hurley had already killed the bad-guy-with-a-gun and observing Hurley holding the bad guy’s weapon, the officer killed Hurley.

This again proves that TV and movie cops are the only members of law enforcement that can automatically recognize a hero. Hurley made this mistake when he didn’t drop to the ground after shooting Troyke.

Hurley saw he had severely wounded the would-be mass shooter, and, as a good-guy-with-a-gun should have long before familiarized himself with police procedures when arriving at a live shooter incident. After all, good-guys-carrying-guns are awaiting their opportunity to become heroes, and should anticipate the cautious reaction by police arriving on the scene of their act of heroism.

Had Hurley taken the steps necessary and carefully waited to assure his quarry was incapacitated before approaching the body, he would not have been standing and holding the rifle of the dead man, assuring his own death by cops newly arriving. (Cops also want to be heroes.)

Other good-guys-with-guns, eager to become heroes and live to receive their expected accolades, should always remember the name, John Hurley. In fact, get his name tattooed on the wrist of your gun-hand as a reminder, just in case you get your chance.

I'm sure the civil case will be a big ruling.

Yes you can. It is not your weapon. Let the civil authorities clear the weapon. You do not want it in your possession or your fingerprints on it, or to be seen with it. It will only complicate your life, and if you just had to shoot a real live bad guy, your life is going to be complicated enough. Don't do it.
The wrong person could pick it up, the shooter, if he isn't dead. I'm going to clear his weapon.

The wrong person could pick it up, the shooter, if he isn't dead. I'm going to clear his weapon.

And if he is dead you may get hit with a tampering with evidence charge. Detectives and perhaps forensic science want every tiny bit of evidence they can collect to put the puzzle together regardless how unimportant it may seem. If I shoot somebody and they are laying there unconscious, it's highly unlikely they will have the strength to shoot at you again. Even if they did, they won't be able to shoot very fast and there is no way you will get shot because you still have your gun.

This would be an extremely rare once in a lifetime occurrence for the innocent man who was killed. The police are supposed to be trained for things like this.
Yeah... "Once In a lifetime"... How many times can one actually die?

Nothing wrong with kicking it a few feet out of his reach. If you still have your weapon (even holstered), and he is reaching for his weapon, you may have to draw and shoot in self-defense again. It is much harder to explain, shooting a man on the ground. This is why you keep shooting the bad guy until you are certain he is no longer a threat. Do not approach the bad guy with your weapon, even holstered until he is no longer a threat, not even to render aide, unless you are willing to chance being shot with your own weapon. Again, do not even think about picking up his. Tell others, forcefully, not to touch the downed man's weapon. If they attempt to anyway, they become a threat. If it is too complicated for you, stay the fk out of it, and you have no business carrying, whether it is your right or not. It is people like you, that make me believe nobody should be carrying unless they have been through the carry permit classes. Here is another tip. Don't explain to anybody at the scene, what happened, not even the cops, maybe especially not the cops, and you should alert your lawyer immediately, you have been in an incident, and you believe the police will want to question you. If you carry a weapon, you would be a fool, not to carry the card of a lawyer in good standing that you can trust. Shit gets serious and seriously complicated, real quick.

Having even your own weapon drawn and in your hand when the cops show up, is probably not a good idea.

No, it isn't, but how often do you hear a trump Nazi/Second Amendment fanatic admit that? Possibly after an incident like this, but for their unswayable defense of the good-guy-with-a-gun hypothesis, it is rarely, if ever mentioned.

No, it isn't, but how often do you hear a trump Nazi/Second Amendment fanatic admit that? Possibly after an incident like this, but for their unswayable defense of the good-guy-with-a-gun hypothesis, it is rarely, if ever mentioned.

If you have a CCW that's exactly what you are taught. Don't have the gun in your hand in front of a police officer. You alert the officer you are armed, and either wait for further instructions or ask the officer for further instructions.

I'm sure the civil case will be a big ruling.
A civil case should be thrown out of court, since the officer was called into an active hooter situation. Had it been an off-duty cop killing the shooter, he would have known how to react to the officer arriving on the scene. Picking up the killer's rifle and standing heroically expecting his courageous deed to be immediately recognized by the approaching cop, would not have been his first move.

No rational jury could find the officer, the department, or the municipality negligent or responsible in any way.

Last edited:

Normal people know this. People that took properly taught, carry permit classes know this.

Normal people know this. People that took properly taught, carry permit classes know this.
Unfortunately, not all good-guys-with-guns have this training, or those that do are too caught up in the moment and the adrenaline rush to remember this training.

It's easy for the "Monday morning quarterbacks" to boast of what their quick-thinking and calm reactions would have been, we hear this type of bullsh!t from the trump Nazis daily. But few of them are ever put in this situation, so, the truth of their predictions as to their possible heroism is likely to remain unproven.

Unfortunately, not all good-guys-with-guns have this training, or those that do are too caught up in the moment and the adrenaline rush to remember this training.

It's easy for the "Monday morning quarterbacks" to boast of what their quick-thinking and calm reactions would have been, we hear this type of bullsh!t from the trump Nazis daily. But few of them are ever put in this situation, so, the truth of their predictions as to their possible heroism is likely to remain unproven.

That's why I urge everyone I talk to who carries, about carrying, to take time to get their kind right so as to be mentally prepared for a RL shootout.

Trump Nazi! Jeesh, dude, you are as eat up with it as they are, just in a different direction.

Forum List

Back