Nigeria bans Twitter for deleting a post from the president

We are really only talking about Nigeria because this behavior coincides with with the thought of a significant chunk of the Republican or Trump base, as evidenced by the number of people here cheering the decision of state censorship.

I support Nigerian Liberals First Amendment Right to access all Liberal sites online!

They have a right to used Twitter without being penalized by American Law. And they will retain this right even as they receive deserved penalty for violating Local Laws.

I disagree. The state is presenting the people of Nigeria from accessing Twitter. Isn’t that the context we are dealing with here?

I did not know that First Amendment of US Constitution limited Nigerian or Russian or Chinese governments in any way.

It is a wise move to keep people away from Left-Wing Twitter.

They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.
As I stated before, the president of Nigeria has access to the internet. He’s not banned from the internet at all. Twitter is.

From the site Twitter is promoting
I’m trying to figure out where you got that Twitter is promoting their site. There’s a hashtag for open internet but that’s just a hashtag.

Either way, you’re clearly reading into this statement to justify your own purposes. Even this website you’ve been hyping includes articles talking about necessity of moderation and recommendations for how to do it.

For example:

No where does this website say anything about mandating that platforms don’t moderate their content. In fact, this article demonstrates the opposite.

Would you mind explaining why you think this website is relevant to Twitter’s statement?

Would you mind explaining why you think this website is relevant to Twitter’s statement?
Sure. Let me quote myself because you're an idiot.

If they meant "open internet" they would have said that... Instead of #OpenInternet

I linked it for you in this thread. Don't work too hard clicking and reading it.

#KeepitOn is the same way.

If they meant "open internet" they would have said that... Instead of #OpenInternet

I linked it for you in this thread. Don't work too hard clicking and reading it.

you know, repeating yourself doesn’t make you look any smarter. Part of critical thinking is being able to critical evaluate your own statements, and you don’t seem to be able to do that.

Who produced a link to that website?
Not Twitter. It was you. Why do you keep saying they’re promoting it?

you know, repeating yourself doesn’t make you look any smarter. Part of critical thinking is being able to critical evaluate your own statements, and you don’t seem to be able to do that.

The WHOLE REASON TWITTER WAS BANNED IS BECAUSE THEY DELETED A POST FROM A PRESIDENT

Well... It's just repost my first post. I know it's a ban-able offense... But you're an idiot. So we have to do this.

We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.

From the site Twitter is promoting:

4 EXPRESSION AND ASSOCIATION:
Everyone has the right to seek,
receive, and impart information freely
on the Internet without censorship or
other interference.
Everyone also has
the right to associate freely through
and on the Internet, for social,
political, cultural or other purposes.

I'll repost my first post... AGAIN in this post.

We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

I think you’re having a hard time seeing past your own issues.
Possible. I think you aren't worth anything when it comes to any type of critical thinking.

Ban incoming.
Jesus, not only are you an arrogant prick, you’re also a lazy idiot.

Everything you’re saying is based on misrepresentation and falsehoods. You claim this site is promoted by Twitter. That’s a lie. You claim that this site is opposed to moderation. That’s a misrepresentation.

When I raise these points, you ignore them. There’s no point in trying to have a discussion with someone as irrevocably stuck up their own ass. You’ve demonstrated abject dishonest again and again.

The WHOLE REASON TWITTER WAS BANNED IS BECAUSE THEY DELETED A POST FROM A PRESIDENT

Well... It's just repost my first post. I know it's a ban-able offense... But you're an idiot. So we have to do this.

other interference.
Everyone also has

Possible. I think you aren't worth anything when it comes to any type of critical thinking.

Ban incoming.
Jesus, not only are you an arrogant prick, you’re also a lazy idiot.

Everything you’re saying is based on misrepresentation and falsehoods. You claim this site is promoted by Twitter. That’s a lie. You claim that this site is opposed to moderation. That’s a misrepresentation.

When I raise these points, you ignore them. There’s no point in trying to have a discussion with someone as irrevocably stuck up their own ass. You’ve demonstrated abject dishonest again and again.

other interference.
Everyone also has

Ban incoming.
Good lord, you’re just a child aren’t you?

I read that. You are still misunderstanding about the term “internet”.

The Nigerian president has access to publish their speech on the internet.
Twitter does not.

That’s a pretty significant difference, wouldn’t you say?
Twitter is suggesting that it's ... You know what... I don't care. You're a fuck'n idiot.
You probably just realized your argument is bullshit but are to much if an asshole to admit it.

Hypocrite.

TWITTER... Wrote that.

Ban incoming.
Oh no! You’re going to be banned because you can’t follow the rules! Oh god! The censorship!

The president of Nigeria isn’t banned from the internet. He’s welcome to host his own content. Twitter is not.

That’s not a subtle difference. That’s a monumental difference. This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain and is not something you’ve shown a spine and willingness to address.

Seems to be a systemic problem with the left leaning that they depend too much slogans BECAUSE they dont know how things work.. We had the Simpson butt kid say that posters on Twitter has as much power as Twitter does... Patently false... Like saying -- you have as much as power as the DA deciding to indict you.. EXCEPT WORSE -- there's no contest at trial to see who has the rights...

And you repeating a mind-less variant of this meme about "get YOUR OWN INTERNET SITE"... You dont know how things work.. The Techno-fascists hold all the cards there also.. If you're the Prez of Nigeria -- you can usurp THE PEOPLE'S MONEY to pay for your speech.. Because the media has colluded to slime you and Twitter has their knees on your neck about "free speech"... But an INDIVIDUAL -- or small group or association like USMB might have their ISP PULLED or their ADVERTISING CANCELLED -- or their phone apps pulled from the Apple/Google store in the same day as the twitter ban.. That's techno-fascist collusion.. From the same power whores that are SPYING ON EVERYTHING you do on your phone or device -- EVEN WHEN you told them not to,..

Of course -- you'll ignore all of this reality.. And go OUT OF YOUR WAY to support this power to spy and abuse the citizenry of any country that they NEED to build to build their OWN power as a stinky dumpster fire of divisive media. As Zuck and that trog owner of Twitter support the dictators and power abusers of the larger more important clients. Because you're a tool.. A tool that BELIEVES these techno-fascists are PRIMARY PART of your leftist political power.. And they are.. But they are NOW the LARGEST threat to Civil Liberties and national harmony in the whole entire world..

Govts INCLUDING OUR OWN -- no longer NEED the world's most Powerful Spy Machine at NSA.. Too messy to get FISA warrants and get caught abusing them.. All they need to do is to ally with Zuck and Dorsy and use THEIR domestic spying data.. And they are more than willing to CORRUPT our political system and lend a hand...

Social media doesn't have any more power than the humans who use it to communicate.
If that were true I would have the power to ban you as the useless troll you are. But alas, as users we DO NOT possess the power to alter political discourse via outright removing talk we don't like as social media does.
A machine has to have an operator, social media is no more than a tool, a machine that is there for humans to manipulate. Without humans it is a non-function apparatus. You do not have control of the machine because you are not its operator. The power I speak of is the interaction of the machine that allows us to communicate, just like on USMB... Oh, and fuck yer troll shit.
I'll put you and Colfax down as Boko Haram supporters then. Who knows maybe they can Kidnap ANOTHER 300 girls this year so keep your hopes up. Twitter is!
I see you have zero capabilities to debate or to recognize that a cell phone without social media could do the same thing as using social media. As far as your need to project your dismay is most laughable.

Really dude? Where can you respond directly to micro-wits like Melissa Milano and get heard??

Where can comment back at a President's tweet and get thousands of views? Another leftist with ZERO clues about how things and cellphones work or tech in general with nothing but slogans. Wasn't any real brain energy expended on that post...

Just pointing out that no media outlet is bound to host content they don’t want. People overstate and overhype the effect social media has on political discourse.

Really? So when the ENTIRE main stream media and the techno-fascist "social media" giants cancelled and censored any speech about Hunter Biden and his lap top calling it "RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA" -- you saw that as just "content they didn't want"??? Or banning discussion of the Covid origins? HOW UNDERSTATED that tyrannical bent and flavor is is the REAL danger here,, And you are just a great Jr Varsity cheerleader for UNPUBLISHED rules, ABITRARY censorship, COLLUSION of a magnitude this world has never seen before on what people can publicly discuss..

Only reason USMB is here anymore... Because our rules are published and you can discuss virtually anything you want with the entire membership.. EVEN IF --- it ends up in Badlands or Conspiracy theories for lack of effort on the OP's part...

I read that. You are still misunderstanding about the term “internet”.

The Nigerian president has access to publish their speech on the internet.
Twitter does not.

That’s a pretty significant difference, wouldn’t you say?
Twitter is suggesting that it's ... You know what... I don't care. You're a fuck'n idiot.
You probably just realized your argument is bullshit but are to much if an asshole to admit it.

Hypocrite.

TWITTER... Wrote that.

Ban incoming.
Oh no! You’re going to be banned because you can’t follow the rules! Oh god! The censorship!

The president of Nigeria isn’t banned from the internet. He’s welcome to host his own content. Twitter is not.

That’s not a subtle difference. That’s a monumental difference. This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain and is not something you’ve shown a spine and willingness to address.

Seems to be a systemic problem with the left leaning that they depend too much slogans BECAUSE they dont know how things work.. We had the Simpson butt kid say that posters on Twitter has as much power as Twitter does... Patently false... Like saying -- you have as much as power as the DA deciding to indict you.. EXCEPT WORSE -- there's no contest at trial to see who has the rights...

And you repeating a mind-less variant of this meme about "get YOUR OWN INTERNET SITE"... You dont know how things work.. The Techno-fascists hold all the cards there also.. If you're the Prez of Nigeria -- you can usurp THE PEOPLE'S MONEY to pay for your speech.. Because the media has colluded to slime you and Twitter has their knees on your neck about "free speech"... But an INDIVIDUAL -- or small group or association like USMB might have their ISP PULLED or their ADVERTISING CANCELLED -- or their phone apps pulled from the Apple/Google store in the same day as the twitter ban.. That's techno-fascist collusion.. From the same power whores that are SPYING ON EVERYTHING you do on your phone or device -- EVEN WHEN you told them not to,..

Of course -- you'll ignore all of this reality.. And go OUT OF YOUR WAY to support this power to spy and abuse the citizenry of any country that they NEED to build to build their OWN power as a stinky dumpster fire of divisive media. As Zuck and that trog owner of Twitter support the dictators and power abusers of the larger more important clients. Because you're a tool.. A tool that BELIEVES these techno-fascists are PRIMARY PART of your leftist political power.. And they are.. But they are NOW the LARGEST threat to Civil Liberties and national harmony in the whole entire world..

Govts INCLUDING OUR OWN -- no longer NEED the world's most Powerful Spy Machine at NSA.. Too messy to get FISA warrants and get caught abusing them.. All they need to do is to ally with Zuck and Dorsy and use THEIR domestic spying data.. And they are more than willing to CORRUPT our political system and lend a hand...
You bring up a lot of things to managing a website but are definitely not the same. Advertising is nice, but you have no right to advertising. It’s not an assault on freedom of speech to not have advertising. I’ve been pretty consistent that apps for iOS and to a lesser extent Android may have anti-trust reasons to not being able to discriminate but it’s not speech. Websites don’t rely on apps when you are able to point a browser to any website you want.

The only thing needed is an ISP. And when you worry about an ISP pulling out, so do I. It’s a compelling case for regulating them as a common carrier.

Which, coincidentally, is part of a liberal agenda for the last decade.

Just pointing out that no media outlet is bound to host content they don’t want. People overstate and overhype the effect social media has on political discourse.

Really? So when the ENTIRE main stream media and the techno-fascist "social media" giants cancelled and censored any speech about Hunter Biden and his lap top calling it "RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA" -- you saw that as just "content they didn't want"??? Or banning discussion of the Covid origins? HOW UNDERSTATED that tyrannical bent and flavor is is the REAL danger here,, And you are just a great Jr Varsity cheerleader for UNPUBLISHED rules, ABITRARY censorship, COLLUSION of a magnitude this world has never seen before on what people can publicly discuss..

Only reason USMB is here anymore... Because our rules are published and you can discuss virtually anything you want with the entire membership.. EVEN IF --- it ends up in Badlands or Conspiracy theories for lack of effort on the OP's part...
Your rules also say that anyone’s posts can be taken down at any time without any warning for any reason or no reason at all.

You bring up a lot of things to managing a website but are definitely not the same. Advertising is nice, but you have no right to advertising. I

It's not a "right to advertising" -- its a virtual MONOPOLY on advertising that is being exploited to CONTROL CONTENT.. Needs to get fixed.. No one competes with Google on advertising BECAUSE Google is now as POWERFUL as the NSA in spying on internet users... Advertisers LOVE those capabilities. I couldn't get a Silicon Valley start-up off the ground to OFFER "alternative ad serving" without 10 years and $BILLs in funding to compete with that. Bet you love that..

Alexa from Amazon is the same deal and folks WILLINGLY GIVE IT ACESS to EVERYTHING in their lives. And Bezos thanks them by creating the "Sidewalk" system that STEALS data from your Ring and Alexa and other Inet appliances to create a NEIGHBORHOOD watch program that WATCHES YOU...

I know leftists dont understand how thing work.. That's just a handicap in life.. But beyond that -- NOT having a sense of personal preservation is a DEADLY mistake that you are making by IGNORING the realities of growing techno-fascism and its COLLUSION with leftist governance...

Leftists are no longer my buds in preserving Civil Liberties.. Freedom and liberty are nowhere on their list of concerns.. So it's a SERIOUS situation for them to start loving themselves having the POWER of "big tech" as their brownshirts and East German Stasi....

Last edited:

Your rules also say that anyone’s posts can be taken down at any time without any warning for any reason or no reason at all.

I've been moderating for about 11 years here. That "mod discretion" is frowned upon.. And those "weasel words" are used for strange and weird situations only.. It's important for consistency and "peace in the mod room" that NONE of us go "rogue" and start making up red lines and new standards on a whim or a political agenda like Zuck and DorsalFin or Bozo.. We LIKE harmony in the mod room and abuse of "mod discretion" is why MOST of our current mod staff CAME to USMB from other boards with TOO MUCH of it..

The only thing needed is an ISP. And when you worry about an ISP pulling out, so do I. It’s a compelling case for regulating them as a common carrier.

You dont just need an ISP... If you become REALLY successful -- more successful than USMB -- you reach a point where YOU DRIVE the national trends.. And at that point, the unique discussions and points and opinions posted here could be BANNED from any MOST ALL OTHER media sites... Like YouTube does to successful sites like Dennis "Prager U" or the Babylon Bee..

And without advertising, folks who WANT freedom of speech are gonna have to cough up the bucks for it... Which is very Libertarian -- but does not SOLVE the ENTIRE problem of being walled off from the "official" "national conversation" where the Twits and Faces and Google decide the stories of the day and leave THEIR PART OF NATION -- stupid and ill-informed.. If you rely on leftist media ONLY NOW -- I can truly say that YOU might be severely stupid and ill-informed from all the fake and retracted shit that SUBSTITUTED for HONEST, genuine debate...

You're still not understanding the complexity of "social media" and public discussion and how it can be stifled by tech monsters with a political sugardaddy,..

You dont just need an ISP... If you become REALLY successful -- more successful than USMB -- you reach a point where YOU DRIVE the national trends.. And at that point, the unique discussions and points and opinions posted here could be BANNED from any MOST ALL OTHER media sites... Like YouTube does to successful sites like Dennis "Prager U" or the Babylon Bee..

And without advertising, folks who WANT freedom of speech are gonna have to cough up the bucks for it... Which is very Libertarian -- but does not SOLVE the ENTIRE problem of being walled off from the "official" "national conversation" where the Twits and Faces and Google decide the stories of the day and leave THEIR PART OF NATION -- stupid and ill-informed.. If you rely on leftist media ONLY NOW -- I can truly say that YOU might be severely stupid and ill-informed from all the fake and retracted shit that SUBSTITUTED for HONEST, genuine debate...

You're still not understanding the complexity of "social media" and public discussion and how it can be stifled by tech monsters with a political sugardaddy,..
You need an ISP for speech and speech is all your entitled to have.

You're not entitled to have advertising. You're not entitled to be forefront in the national conversation. You're not entitled to be listened to. You're not entitled to have an audience.

This country guarantees you free speech and that's where the guarantee ends. Everything else you want is merely part of entitlement.

I understand the complexity of social media just fine. You do not understand the basics of what the law can guarantee.

I've been moderating for about 11 years here. That "mod discretion" is frowned upon.. And those "weasel words" are used for strange and weird situations only.. It's important for consistency and "peace in the mod room" that NONE of us go "rogue" and start making up red lines and new standards on a whim or a political agenda like Zuck and DorsalFin or Bozo.. We LIKE harmony in the mod room and abuse of "mod discretion" is why MOST of our current mod staff CAME to USMB from other boards with TOO MUCH of it..
The reason that broad clause is in the terms is so that you can deal with weird situations. That's called flexibility. It's exactly the kind of policy necessary to manage any social media platform. You can't write a rule for ever situation.

You bring up a lot of things to managing a website but are definitely not the same. Advertising is nice, but you have no right to advertising. I

It's not a "right to advertising" -- its a virtual MONOPOLY on advertising that is being exploited to CONTROL CONTENT.. Needs to get fixed.. No one competes with Google on advertising BECAUSE Google is now as POWERFUL as the NSA in spying on internet users... Advertisers LOVE those capabilities. I couldn't get a Silicon Valley start-up off the ground to OFFER "alternative ad serving" without 10 years and $BILLs in funding to compete with that. Bet you love that..

Alexa from Amazon is the same deal and folks WILLINGLY GIVE IT ACESS to EVERYTHING in their lives. And Bezos thanks them by creating the "Sidewalk" system that STEALS data from your Ring and Alexa and other Inet appliances to create a NEIGHBORHOOD watch program that WATCHES YOU...

I know leftists dont understand how thing work.. That's just a handicap in life.. But beyond that -- NOT having a sense of personal preservation is a DEADLY mistake that you are making by IGNORING the realities of growing techno-fascism and its COLLUSION with leftist governance...

Leftists are no longer my buds in preserving Civil Liberties.. Freedom and liberty are nowhere on their list of concerns.. So it's a SERIOUS situation for them to start loving themselves having the POWER of "big tech" as their brownshirts and East German Stasi....
Google's advertisers like their product because it's very effective. The horror.

The amount of condescension in your posts is ridiculous given you repeat the same nonsense tropes as other brain dead right wingers.

You're not out there defending civil liberties. You're out there creating new civil liberties out of convenience. This is a thread where Nigeria removed Twitter from the internet because their president got pissed at them for removing his content. Now anyone in Nigeria is subject to criminal prosecution for using Twitter. Is that the sort of liberty that we should emulate?

Google's advertisers like their product because it's very effective. The horror.

The amount of condescension in your posts is ridiculous given you repeat the same nonsense tropes as other brain dead right wingers.

You're not out there defending civil liberties. You're out there creating new civil liberties out of convenience. This is a thread where Nigeria removed Twitter from the internet because their president got pissed at them for removing his content. Now anyone in Nigeria is subject to criminal prosecution for using Twitter. Is that the sort of liberty that we should emulate?

Like I said, you're expending way too much energy defending despicable wanna-bee despots and oligarchs who wont rest until they can sell the number of times a day you flush the toilet..

Tell ya what.. How about USMB just starts DELETING threads with links to certain sites and doesn't TELL you what the "algorithm" is??? Or bans you for wanting to discussing certain topics of the day and doesn't explain why?

Oh and we do these things to YOU in particular because -- you're the problem with world and this county and we want to crush you....

Not too far from this.. Keep on just supporting those corporations that can be MORE abrasive to your Civil Liberties that revolutionaries ever DREAMED of being.. A corporate oligarchy REPLACING partisan control by democratic representation aint a pretty future...

Forum List

Back