New Yorkers enjoy less freedom than residents of any other U.S. state

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
This study seems to reveal two things:

1.) Our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us,

2.) Our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us, so slowly that many people don't even notice their govt is doing it. Sort of like sinking into quicksand so slowly that you don't notice you're going down. And the liberals doing the taking of freedom, are very happy with that state of affairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Study: New York Enjoys Less Freedom Than Any Other State In The U.S. « CBS New York

Study: New Yorkers Enjoy Less Freedom Than Residents In Any Other State In U.S.

Conservative Think Tank Goes After Empire State's Taxes, Business Regulation

March 29, 2013 9:06 PM

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — New York may be first in taxes, but a survey has ranked it dead last in one important characteristic: freedom.

That’s the verdict from one conservative think tank, CBS 2’s Lou Young reported.

Young visited the Byram River on Friday. It is one of the many borders that separate New York and Connecticut. A new study says the New York side of that river is part of the least free place in America; seriously.

“I think it depends on what criteria you’re using, you know? You talking about taxes? You talking about civil rights?” Ridgefield, Conn., resident Jane Davila said.

The study in question is talking mostly about taxes and business regulation. The libertarian think tank at George Mason University in Virginia says New York is dead last in freedom. Most people seem to think that’s a stretch, but many said they see the point.

“I think there is a grain of truth to it. We’re not living in a police state. We happen to live in a very safe state. But the economics of New York clearly don’t work and then you see things like Mike Bloomberg and his Big Gulp sodas and we’re going to tell you what kind of cups you can use and what kind of bags you can use, that kind of day-to-day almost silly trivial “nanny”-type regulation; you can laugh about it but it starts to add up after a while,” White Plains attorney John Murtagh said.

And New York businesses can sometimes have to navigate oceans of red tape — like the sudden need to renew a state sales tax license after 27 years in business. One merchant, though, said he’ll live with it.

“It’s a small pinprick, not enough to make me feel I’m not free in the great state of New York,” Donald Roloff said.

The survey also looked at restrictions on vices like gambling and fireworks, as well as alcohol and tobacco products, with massive state tax burdens, like shackles for one seller.

“For every $100 we have to pay $75 in taxes. Less free,” cigar shop owner Dominick Tortortello said.

The buyer isn’t so sure. “I don’t like to say we’re less free,” Sean Patrone said.

NY will keep their BS up and they will cry like babies when Wall St. decides to move to Dallas or some other city where there is no State income tax. When that happens NY and NJ will look like Detroit. Couldn't happen to nicer folks

This was addressed in another thread. The study is from the Mercatus Center which is a mouthpiece for Koch Industries. Surprise surprise, they hate New York and California. Two of the most successful states in the union. :cool:

Didn't CA lose a rep in the last census because people are moving out of that successful state. Also the wealthy are moving out of NY. So what about your assertion doesn't add up? OH!! I know, everything.

This study seems to reveal two things:

1.) Our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us,

2.) Our freedoms are slowly being taken away from us, so slowly that many people don't even notice their govt is doing it. Sort of like sinking into quicksand so slowly that you don't notice you're going down. And the liberals doing the taking of freedom, are very happy with that state of affairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Study: New York Enjoys Less Freedom Than Any Other State In The U.S. « CBS New York

Study: New Yorkers Enjoy Less Freedom Than Residents In Any Other State In U.S.

Conservative Think Tank Goes After Empire State's Taxes, Business Regulation

March 29, 2013 9:06 PM

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — New York may be first in taxes, but a survey has ranked it dead last in one important characteristic: freedom.

That’s the verdict from one conservative think tank, CBS 2’s Lou Young reported.

Young visited the Byram River on Friday. It is one of the many borders that separate New York and Connecticut. A new study says the New York side of that river is part of the least free place in America; seriously.

“I think it depends on what criteria you’re using, you know? You talking about taxes? You talking about civil rights?” Ridgefield, Conn., resident Jane Davila said.

The study in question is talking mostly about taxes and business regulation. The libertarian think tank at George Mason University in Virginia says New York is dead last in freedom. Most people seem to think that’s a stretch, but many said they see the point.

“I think there is a grain of truth to it. We’re not living in a police state. We happen to live in a very safe state. But the economics of New York clearly don’t work and then you see things like Mike Bloomberg and his Big Gulp sodas and we’re going to tell you what kind of cups you can use and what kind of bags you can use, that kind of day-to-day almost silly trivial “nanny”-type regulation; you can laugh about it but it starts to add up after a while,” White Plains attorney John Murtagh said.

And New York businesses can sometimes have to navigate oceans of red tape — like the sudden need to renew a state sales tax license after 27 years in business. One merchant, though, said he’ll live with it.

“It’s a small pinprick, not enough to make me feel I’m not free in the great state of New York,” Donald Roloff said.

The survey also looked at restrictions on vices like gambling and fireworks, as well as alcohol and tobacco products, with massive state tax burdens, like shackles for one seller.

“For every $100 we have to pay $75 in taxes. Less free,” cigar shop owner Dominick Tortortello said.

The buyer isn’t so sure. “I don’t like to say we’re less free,” Sean Patrone said.

Since when are right wingers so concerned about New York?

This was addressed in another thread. The study is from the Mercatus Center which is a mouthpiece for Koch Industries. Surprise surprise, they hate New York and California. Two of the most successful states in the union. :cool:

Didn't CA lose a rep in the last census because people are moving out of that successful state. Also the wealthy are moving out of NY. So what about your assertion doesn't add up? OH!! I know, everything.

The story about a mass exodus from California and New York to Israel is not being reported. The truth is inventors, scientists, business people from Silicon Valley, the brightest and most successful are all leaving the USA and moving to Israel. The door has been closed to real opportunity in California and New York due to Obama Administration communist tactics and people are voting with their feet. Now it is spreading to the rest of the nation. Obama is destroying America from within. - Jeremiah

Libertarian view of what freedom is

Freedom from any regulation. They want to be free to pollute as they wish, abuse their employees to their hearts desire, freedom to have abandoned cars on your front yard

Freedom from any regulation. They want to be free to pollute as they wish, abuse their employees to their hearts desire, freedom to have abandoned cars on your front yard

Or, ..... a plea to return to Government by the consent of the Governed. Currently, we Elect our Keepers, and have no say in what they impose over us. The process is a cover for Tyranny. It's not called the Empire State without reason. ;)

Classical-Wallpaper-Darth-Vader-star-wars-25852934-1920-1080.jpg

You need taxes and regulations for a civilized state...Pffft! NY gets $0.79 back for every fed tax dollar they pay, ya freeloading red state scum.

Your Empathy and understanding of the value of your fellow man, leaves me speechless. :) .... No wait, .......

Or, ..... a plea to return to Government by the consent of the Governed. Currently, we Elect our Keepers, and have no say in what they impose over us. The process is a cover for Tyranny. It's not called the Empire State without reason. ;)

Classical-Wallpaper-Darth-Vader-star-wars-25852934-1920-1080.jpg

This is America. We elect our officials. Major Bloomberg was elected three times. Twice as a Republican

New Yorkers expect more from their government and are willing to pay for it.

LOL what two of the most broke and nonfunctional states,you must not live in ether.

Forum List

Back