New York lawyer Urooj Rahman gets only 15 months in prison for firebombing a police car during the George Floyd riots

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
I think she should have gotten 20 years. This ridiculously short sentence sends a very bad message.

Lawyer gets 15 months behind bars for firebombing police car

By Tom Hays

November 18, 2022

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City attorney was sentenced to 15 months behind bars on Friday for firebombing an empty New York City police vehicle with another lawyer during protests over the murder of George Floyd.

Before hearing her sentence, Urooj Rahman asked a judge to spare her prison time and give her a “second chance” to redeem herself for what she called a momentary lapse of judgement.

“I’m so incredibly sorry for my reckless and wrong actions,” a tearful Rahman said in federal court in Brooklyn. “I don’t think there’s enough words to express my sorrow and regret. … I completely lost my way in the emotion of the night.”

U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan praised her for choosing a career in public interest law to fight against social injustices.

“You’re a remarkable person who did a terrible thing on one night,” Cogan said.

However, Cogan also scolded her for thinking she could get away with violent protest.

“It displays an amazing amount of arrogance. … It’s just a very arrogant way to think,” he said.

Federal prosecutors had recommended a sentence of 18 to 24 months as part of a plea deal.

Rahman and Colinford Mattis were arrested amid clashes between protesters and police on May 30, 2020, during an eruption of demonstrations following Floyd’s killing by a police officer in Minnesota.

Surveillance cameras recorded Rahman hurling an incendiary device into a parked police vehicle, setting fire to its console. No one was injured in the attack, but the vehicle was severely damaged.

Officers arrested the lawyers a short time later and said they found a lighter, a Bud Light beer bottle filled with toilet paper and a gasoline tank in the back of a minivan driven by Mattis, a corporate attorney. Prosecutors alleged the lawyers planned to distribute and throw other Molotov cocktails.

While other lawyers condemned their conduct, some objected to the severity of the charges, arguing that the case was improperly handled as if it were an act of domestic terrorism. When the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn asked that the lawyers be detained without bail, 56 former federal prosecutors sent a legal brief to the court criticizing the government’s handling of the case.

Rahman and Mattis have been disbarred. Mattis is scheduled for sentencing next month.

leftwinglawyerconvictedloldsjkskfskjfh.png

the racist democrat party and their yellow press handmaidens incited left wing extremist violence
over thirty people were killed
dems have no shame because they don't have a conscience

View attachment 727977
the racist democrat party and their yellow press handmaidens incited left wing extremist violence
over thirty people were killed
dems have no shame because they don't have a conscience
(5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
(A)
involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
(B)appear to be intended—
(i)
to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii)
to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii)
to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping

Obviously, throwing a firebomb at an emergency vehicle is against the law. It was also obviously done "to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion".

Last edited:
I think she should have gotten 20 years. This ridiculously short sentence sends a very bad message.

By Tom Hays

November 18, 2022

NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City attorney was sentenced to 15 months behind bars on Friday for firebombing an empty New York City police vehicle with another lawyer during protests over the murder of George Floyd.

Before hearing her sentence, Urooj Rahman asked a judge to spare her prison time and give her a “second chance” to redeem herself for what she called a momentary lapse of judgement.

“I’m so incredibly sorry for my reckless and wrong actions,” a tearful Rahman said in federal court in Brooklyn. “I don’t think there’s enough words to express my sorrow and regret. … I completely lost my way in the emotion of the night.”

U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan praised her for choosing a career in public interest law to fight against social injustices.

However, Cogan also scolded her for thinking she could get away with violent protest.

“It displays an amazing amount of arrogance. … It’s just a very arrogant way to think,” he said.

Federal prosecutors had recommended a sentence of 18 to 24 months as part of a plea deal.

Rahman and Colinford Mattis were arrested amid clashes between protesters and police on May 30, 2020, during an eruption of demonstrations following Floyd’s killing by a police officer in Minnesota.

Surveillance cameras recorded Rahman hurling an incendiary device into a parked police vehicle, setting fire to its console. No one was injured in the attack, but the vehicle was severely damaged.

Officers arrested the lawyers a short time later and said they found a lighter, a Bud Light beer bottle filled with toilet paper and a gasoline tank in the back of a minivan driven by Mattis, a corporate attorney. Prosecutors alleged the lawyers planned to distribute and throw other Molotov cocktails.

While other lawyers condemned their conduct, some objected to the severity of the charges, arguing that the case was improperly handled as if it were an act of domestic terrorism. When the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn asked that the lawyers be detained without bail, 56 former federal prosecutors sent a legal brief to the court criticizing the government’s handling of the case.

Rahman and Mattis have been disbarred. Mattis is scheduled for sentencing next month.

Wrong.
It is just minor property damage since the car was empty.
And the murder of George Floyd deserved a much greater response.
Police have to understand they are SUBORDINATES hired by us, and not our ruling class.
The crimes committed continually even now by the police, like the illegal War on Drugs, amounts to treason.

IMO, There should not have been any "plea deal".

The evidence is not just merely "beyond a reasonable doubt", it's beyond any imaginable doubt whatsoever.

Rahman and her partner terrorist should have been executed on the scene of the crime. Or taken to Gitmo and be tortured until they gave up some info. Then killed.

Wrong.
She is a hero.
The police not only were wrong, but evil, and have always been used to enforce slavery, union busting, illegal war, the draft, etc.

Wrong.
Police have to understand they are SUBORDINATES hired by us, and not our ruling class.
The crimes committed continually even now by the police, like the illegal War on Drugs, amounts to treason.

You shouldn't use big words like "treason" if you don't have a clue what they mean. Police enforce the law, that's their job. They don't make the law, judge the law, only enforce laws.

BTW the two perps were granted bail unlike dozens or more of January 6 detainees. This is what the magistrate judge said when he granted them bail:

“One night of behavior is not a basis on which to reject somebody’s ability to make rational decisions,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Steven Gold said.

Just more unequal justice.

Wrong.
But, protestors in DC should get 3 years for trespassing?...lol

By Tom Hays

November 18, 2022

Dang, he should have also murdered someone then he would have been off on bail only.

Shoe Bomber Richard Reid's bomb didn't even go off, and he wasn't an officer of the court or even a US citizen- yet got life in prison.

Ditto with that young black guy, the Panty Bomber who had a bomb in his drawers.

Why should it matter if the bomb only caused property damage, or didn't cause any damage at all- like with the other fellows.

The only difference here is that Ms. Rahman is a Liberal Extremist. If she was a islamonazi, or a Republican or an ultramoderate , she would have , and should have- gone to prison for a long time.

Forum List

Back