Need more ventilators? Send in the rednecks...

Hell,I've made parts for artificial hearts. It aint rocket science.
Given prints and specs any decent shop could make them from scratch. No need for fancy injection molded cases where a simple fabricated aluminium housing would work just fine.
The only controls you'd need is an oxygen regulator a duration regulator and pressure regulator from what I can tell.
Pretty simple stuff really.
I’m not sure oxygen is absolutely necessary

I suppose you could draw air from the environment but increased oxygen content can make up for the lack of the lungs ability to absorb it.
I used to use these very same systems in my bait wells on the boat. You can keep bait alive for weeks and if they get a little lethargic you crank up the oxygen levels.
I agree that oxygen is better

but also more difficult for diyers to make

Not really.
In place of an open intake you install a line to attach to an oxygen bottle and a regulator.
since its diy you are free to do it that way if you like

I'm thinking it would be up to who was having them made and their specs.
These are probably not going to be mass produced in garages and home shops

but maybe for family and friends

Given prints and specs any decent shop could make them from scratch. No need for fancy injection molded cases where a simple fabricated aluminium housing would work just fine.
The only controls you'd need is an oxygen regulator a duration regulator and pressure regulator from what I can tell.
I’m not sure oxygen is absolutely necessary

I suppose you could draw air from the environment but increased oxygen content can make up for the lack of the lungs ability to absorb it.
I used to use these very same systems in my bait wells on the boat. You can keep bait alive for weeks and if they get a little lethargic you crank up the oxygen levels.
I agree that oxygen is better

but also more difficult for diyers to make

Not really.
In place of an open intake you install a line to attach to an oxygen bottle and a regulator.
since its diy you are free to do it that way if you like

I'm thinking it would be up to who was having them made and their specs.
These are probably not going to be mass produced in garages and home shops

but maybe for family and friends

They could be easily mass produced in an established machine shop though.
With CNC mills and lathes and CNC coordinate measuring machines you could pump out several hundred a day.

A little more complex than that but your logic isn't that far off from a cpap I suppose.

Now don't you wish you'd kept your dead grandpa's CPAP?

A little more complex than that but your logic isn't that far off from a cpap I suppose.

The only reason I'm off is because I havent seen a print or schematic.
Give me those and I'm there.

Hell,I could build you a car engine from billet,but it would cost you more than buying an entire car.

Hell,I could build you a car engine from billet,but it would cost you more than buying an entire car.

LOL. the smoke from your two cycle vent might set off the alarms. Will it have a pull starter :auiqs.jpg:

More seriously, the higher end vents are designed to more assist breathing when possible as opposed to replace it to reduce ventilator dependence and hopefully wean people off faster. When I had a relative on one, I asked a lot of questions (as I was otherwise bored senseless sitting there but felt obligated to be there). I got pretty good at looking at the screen and being able to tell which breathes were more the person and which ones were more the machine doing its thing. With trachs (which is what happens after 10 days on the vent to reduce pneumonia) they will open the trach and let the person breathe on their own as much as possible, sometimes for hours just to get them doing it on their own.

LOL. the smoke from your two cycle vent might set off the alarms. Will it have a pull starter :auiqs.jpg:

More seriously, the higher end vents are designed to more assist breathing when possible as opposed to replace it to reduce ventilator dependence and hopefully wean people off faster. When I had a relative on one, I asked a lot of questions (as I was otherwise bored senseless sitting there but felt obligated to be there). I got pretty good at looking at the screen and being able to tell which breathes were more the person and which ones were more the machine doing its thing. With trachs (which is what happens after 10 days on the vent to reduce pneumonia) they will open the trach and let the person breathe on their own as much as possible, sometimes for hours just to get them doing it on their own.

Yep.
Thats where the duration and pressure come into play.

...the diy'ers, the hobbyists, the small town machinists and metal workers and mechanics. You give us the plans, and we'll build them. They may not be pretty...but if the alternative is nothing...give us a crack at it.

Discuss...why is this a good idea?

Why is it the dumbest shit you've ever heard?

My uncle who died a number of years ago was ready for coronavirus- he was ready to get a ventilator.

For decades he smoked Raleighs religiously and left enough behind enough coupons to get an Iron Lung, the cadillac of ventilators.

Forum List

Back