Naked Facts from the Bible

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004

1. What prophet walked around naked for three years?

2. What prophet went naked as a way of mourning over the fate of Jerusalem?

3. What king of Israel, struck with the power to prophesy, stripped off his clothes and lay naked for a day and night?

4. What father lay naked and intoxicated in his tent, which so disturbed his sons that they came and covered him?

5. In war what people were often humiliated by being stripped? (Shades of Abu Ghraib, folks!)

6. What prophet threatened to take away the flax that covered his wife’s nakedness?

7. What disciple, busy at his daily work, was caught naked by Jesus?

8. Who embarrassed his wife by shamelessly exposing himself while dancing for job?

9. Where did a follower of Jesus escape an angry mob by running away naked?

10. What prophet was shocked to find his entire people naked before him?

Answers posted on Wednesday

You know what I find interesting? That men in the Bible can be seen nude, and it is not always shameful. But women's nudity is never (to the best of my recollection) mentioned without shame. Except in sex with their husbands (Song of Solomon).

1. Isaiah
2. Micah
3. Saul
4. Noah
6. Abraham--guess
7. Peter
10. Moses

1. What prophet walked around naked for three years? Isaiah (20:3)

2. What prophet went naked as a way of mourning over the fate of Jerusalem? Micah (1:8)

3. What king of Israel, struck with the power to prophesy, stripped off his clothes and lay naked for a day and night? Saul (1 Samuel 19:24)

4. What father lay naked and intoxicated in his tent, which so disturbed his sons that they came and covered him? Noah (Genesis 9:21-23)

5. In war what people were often humiliated by being stripped? Jewish captives (2 Chronicles 28:15)

6. What prophet threatened to take away the flax that covered his wife’s nakedness? Hosea (2:3, 9)

7. What disciple, busy at his daily work, was caught naked by Jesus? Simon Peter (John 21:7)

8. Who embarrassed his wife by shamelessly exposing himself while dancing for job? King David (2 Samuel 6:20)

9. Where did a follower of Jesus escape an angry mob by running away naked? Gethsemane (Mark 14:51-52)

10. What prophet was shocked to find his entire people naked before his eyes? Moses (Exodus 32:25)

Nienna said:
You know what I find interesting? That men in the Bible can be seen nude, and it is not always shameful. But women's nudity is never (to the best of my recollection) mentioned without shame. Except in sex with their husbands (Song of Solomon).

Interesting in what way? Do you think this compares to the rules for women in Islam (in a much less severe manner) ?

Adam's Apple said:
8. Who embarrassed his wife by shamelessly exposing himself while dancing for job? King David (2 Samuel 6:20)

9. Where did a follower of Jesus escape an angry mob by running away naked? Gethsemane (Mark 14:51-52)

Well heck. I was going to say David, but when I read the story.......
I guess I stopped reading too soon.

As far as the other, I was surprised to read this. I don't recall ever doing so before. I know, shame on me.

dilloduck said:
Interesting in what way? Do you think this compares to the rules for women in Islam (in a much less severe manner) ?
Nope... just highlights the fact that there are inherent differences between men & women, in their sexuality.

Joz said:
Well heck. I was going to say David, but when I read the story.......
I guess I stopped reading too soon.

As far as the other, I was surprised to read this. I don't recall ever doing so before. I know, shame on me.
The "for job" part threw me off on the David one. I didn't know the Gethsemane one, either. :)

Nienna said:
Nope... just highlights the fact that there are inherent differences between men & women, in their sexuality.
That's the only difference you see? :poke: :happy2:

Nienna said:

Eve was nude w/o shame until she and Adam 'ate'.

dmp said:
They certainly never got 'married'... :)
They sure did. And besides, just because you weren't invited to the ceremony...... :talk2:

Nienna said:
Of course they did! They were fruitful, and they multiplied. Sanctified sex IS the act of marriage.

No. Adam and Eve never EVER got Married. They WERE married - or, put-together by God. They never 'got' married.

Nienna said:

women inherently cover themselves? Not in some of the National Geographics that were my favorites as a kid! :teeth:

dilloduck said:
women inherently cover themselves? Not in some of the National Geographics that were my favorites as a kid! :teeth:
No... women's sexuality inherently needs more protection than men's.

Okay feminists... GO!
:D

5stringJeff said:
To-may-to, to-mah-to, po-tay-to, po tah-to.

not even close.

In Eve we have an example of God creating ONE specific Person, for another. When Adam found Eve, they lived together. They didn't recite vows, or stand in front of family and friends. Marriage is only about ONE milestone; A man and woman making a committment. Did Adam, however, ever vocalize his committement to Eve? Why? What would be the point.

"I Adam...take you Eve...forsaking all...oh..wait..nevermind."

Adam and Eve were Mates; indeed in practice they 'lived married to one-another' in some capacity - but to say they 'were' or 'got' married doesn't quite fit.

dmp said:
not even close.

In Eve we have an example of God creating ONE specific Person, for another. When Adam found Eve, they lived together. They didn't recite vows, or stand in front of family and friends. Marriage is only about ONE milestone; A man and woman making a committment. Did Adam, however, ever vocalize his committement to Eve? Why? What would be the point.

"I Adam...take you Eve...forsaking all...oh..wait..nevermind."

Adam and Eve were Mates; indeed in practice they 'lived married to one-another' in some capacity - but to say they 'were' or 'got' married doesn't quite fit.

The Bible doesn't record the wedding ceremony, but Adam went from single (before Eve) to married, so there must have been something said or done. I really think you're doing the word game thing again.

Forum List

Back