N Korea has rockets armed, ready and aimed right now.

Another short dictator with short man's syndrome trying to get respect. If he keeps pushing it, all he's gonna get is DEAD.

I can't tell how serious DPRK is when they make these threats. I don't think Jong un actually means to start a war - & it's not clear to me that if he actually gave the order for a preemptive attack on S. Korea & the US, that his military high command would actually execute.

What I understand is that his population is starving, they need all the hard currency they can generate for food, oil, electricity imports. That says to me that long-term, they're not much a threat, except to their own well-being. Whether Jong un sees the future that way too, I can't say.

If push comes to shove, & NK actually fires & invades, it'll be v. messy indeed. But that would end, I expect, with the Korean peninsula in ruins, lots of dead, & DPRK overthrown. Whether the US, Japan, SEATO would help to rebuild the peninsula - would depend on PRC's consent, & to a much lesser degree, the Russian Confederation.

It would be a short fight, there is not much to the N Korean army. They look great on paper, just like Iraq did. The reality is they are hungry and still using some of the same equipment they fought us with the first time. Their planes would never get off the ground, their armor would never stop even 1 US or ROK tank, their troops would surrender pretty quickly.

The best thing that could happen to the North Korean people would be for war to break out, the MREs our troops would hand out as they passed would probably be more food than those folks have seen in a while. N Korea may drop some artillery shells into Seoul but their troops would never get there. And, S Korean counter-battery would insure that each of their artillery pieces only fired once. =)

It's hard to tell whether people are not interested in this story because it seems to have happened so many times in the past without ever leading to war, or just because it is hard to blame Obama for it.

At least Clueless Frank does his best to make it America's fault here, but he can only do so much.

My major concern is that in the event of NK firing as much as an arrow at Hawaii, Obama would be obliged to turn it into a carpark, but without damaging a lightbulb in South Korea. It's an impossible task. I also worry about the loss ov civilian life in NK, when the people can hardly be blamed for their own government's ineptitude.

What does John Kerry have to say? I hear he served in Vietnam

Do you turn on all people who have served or just liberal ones?

I don't believe that CrusaderFrank was disparaging those who served. I think he was merely questioning the extent of Senator Kerry's “service.” There are those who – right or wrong – consider the man to be a traitor.

As for me, when I was 16 I forged my birth certificate in an attempt to join the Marine Corps. Thankfully, they didn't arrest me but simply told me to wait a while longer. My 17th birthday was on a Sunday, I took the physical on Monday and was sworn in on Tuesday.

To all Marines: Semper Fi, motherfucker.

To all others who wore a uniform: Thanks.

What does John Kerry have to say? I hear he served in Vietnam

Do you turn on all people who have served or just liberal ones?

I don't believe that CrusaderFrank was disparaging those who served. I think he was merely questioning the extent of Senator Kerry's “service.” There are those who – right or wrong – consider the man to be a traitor.

As for me, when I was 16 I forged my birth certificate in an attempt to join the Marine Corps. Thankfully, they didn't arrest me but simply told me to wait a while longer. My 17th birthday was on a Sunday, I took the physical on Monday and was sworn in on Tuesday.

To all Marines: Semper Fi, motherfucker.

To all others who wore a uniform: Thanks.

Kerry lied to get 3 purple hearts, he lied to get a silver star and he illegally met with the North Vietnamese Delegation in France. He was probably stripped of his metals for that, that would explain why Reagan's Head of the Navy reissued those awards.

North Korea feeds its troops. The troops are not starving at all. They have enough artillery aimed at Seoul to level it in about a half hour. The terrain leading into North Korea is rough as hell any attempt to attack into North Korea would see significant casualties on both sides.

North Korea could be a bear if it attacks South Korea. We would beat it but there would be a hell of a lot of dead people.

RetdGySgt -

Do you think the US should launch a pre-emptive missile strike?

My feeling is that after comparing Tunisia (no land troops) and Iraq (too many dead land troops), Obama might prefer to fight a war by missile than land invasion anyway. Once NK is paralysed and leaderless, the South Koreans could probably do most of the land invasion tasks themselves.

RetdGySgt -

Do you think the US should launch a pre-emptive missile strike?

My feeling is that after comparing Tunisia (no land troops) and Iraq (too many dead land troops), Obama might prefer to fight a war by missile than land invasion anyway. Once NK is paralysed and leaderless, the South Koreans could probably do most of the land invasion tasks themselves.

China would have to agree to any invasion. Any Invasion into North Korea would be across rough terrain, an offensive nightmare, against positions prepared and updated since 1954. South Korea does not have the manpower to invade the North.

Depending on how good the anti air defense is over the North Korean positions one could hammer the North there with little loss to civilian lives but again they have had almost 60 years to build their defense and they have the Iraq war to remind them about up to date anti air defenses.

More then likely the North is blustering and nothing will come of it. They do this every year when we have joint exercises with the South. Unless the new leader is stark raving mad he knows if he attacks the South his regime will get plowed under.

Thanks, Sgt, that is good info.

As well-prepared as the North might be, I would wonder about some of their basic infrastructure - will their electricity & telecoms networks survive an initial attack, for instance? Are their long range missiles reliable?

I also have to wonder about morale. Do North Korean troops really want to fight, or will they drop arms and run as soon as the fighting begins?

Chances are the little shrimp thinks the U.S. won't respond if they make a move. They might start some shit with S.K. first to test the waters but it's not likely they're stupid enough to launch a nuke at California first.

I can't tell how serious DPRK is when they make these threats. I don't think Jong un actually means to start a war - & it's not clear to me that if he actually gave the order for a preemptive attack on S. Korea & the US, that his military high command would actually execute.

What I understand is that his population is starving, they need all the hard currency they can generate for food, oil, electricity imports. That says to me that long-term, they're not much a threat, except to their own well-being. Whether Jong un sees the future that way too, I can't say.

If push comes to shove, & NK actually fires & invades, it'll be v. messy indeed. But that would end, I expect, with the Korean peninsula in ruins, lots of dead, & DPRK overthrown. Whether the US, Japan, SEATO would help to rebuild the peninsula - would depend on PRC's consent, & to a much lesser degree, the Russian Confederation.
Its very clear what the difference between USPOL and USMB is... :cool:

Well, to get an overview it is necessary to get information without opinion.
Here you hace something about the wealth in North Korea (from 2011):
Asia Times Online :: Korea News and Korean Business and Economy, Pyongyang News

And here is something about technology:
North Korean Precision Manufacturing Develops Computer Numerical Control (CNC) | Korea IT Times

And here is something about Korea´s military. Caution: This is pro Korean but nevertheless it shows that North Korea´s Army is not like the Iraqi one in 2003 or the Libyan one.
N Korea Military Tactics In A War With US

So now that we know it better then CNN does it gives us the possibility to view it in a different light.

Forum List

Back