My Fascination with the Amish

Sean Combs Talks About His Summer With the Amish on Jimmy Kimmel...
cool.gif

'Diddy in a Buggy' : Sean Combs Talks About His Summer With the Amish

August 2, 2018 | Music mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs reminisced about his childhood experience in Pennsylvania Dutch country with Jimmy Kimmel Wednesday night.
Combs was explaining how his daughter didn't enjoy her rustic summer camp because she didn't have a bed, when Kimmel asked him, "Did you go to camp when you were a kid?" Combs said his mother sent him away one summer to live with an Amish family as part of the Fresh Air Fund, which takes underprivileged children out of the city -- in Combs' case, New York City. Combs has achieved extraordinary success in his life, but he said he still remembers his Amish family in Lancaster and what a "great experience" he had living with them. He said it "helped to make me who I am." "Wow. Do you remember the family?" Kimmel asked Combs. "Yes, I remember the family," Combs said. "But I had no way to stay in touch with them."

Kimmel laughed -- the Amish don't use phones or electricty. But Combs said, "I'm serious. I think about them all the time. And I'm just like, man, I wonder if they know, you know, what I grew up to be. But I don't think they did." Kimmel asked Combs what it's like, living with an Amish family: "It's beautiful," Combs said. "It's a chance to really kind of get away and just -- no electronics. It really teaches you how to just relate with each other." Combs said he had chores -- milking cows (Kimmel joked about that) and picking berries. "It was a lot of chores. You know, they wake up and, you know, do their chores." Kimmel joked that the Amish family probably needed help around the farm, and they "somehow bamboozled this charity into sending you there to work."

But Combs repeated, "It was a great experience." He said his mother left him with the Amish family for two months. Kimmel told Combs, "That would be great if we could get you in touch with that family." "Wouldn't it?" said Combs. "It would be great." Combs continued reminiscing: "I remember we used to go to church. And at the church they used to just have these lavish meals. And it really kind of taught you family...I rode around in a horse and buggy everywhere." "You did?" an incredulous Kimmel said -- "Diddy in a buggy," he joked, noting that now Combs drives around in a Bentley. As Kimmel joked, Combs remained more serious: "But it's one of the things that helped to make me who I am, you know, just all the different experiences of life. I truly appreciated it. Shout-out to the Fresh Air Fund."

'Diddy in a Buggy' : Sean Combs Talks About His Summer With the Amish
I should have known...

image.png

After the school shootings in Amish country a few months ago, I became intrigued by their way of life and beliefs. Yet, my personal opinion of the culture is deeply conflicted.

On one hand, I respect their virtuous conduct in the name of Christ, their voluntary decision to exclude themselves from the inherent "evils" of mainstream society, and their restraint in forcing religious values on the outside world.

But within this reclusive sphere of existence comes a lack of education (most of them stop school after 8th grade in order to help their families earn modest incomes) and a lack of exposure to the benefits that society can offer. I truly believe that education is a national (and should be a universal) right. Without the gift of knowledge we are unable to independently define and rationalize our existence.

I've spoken to many of my friends at school about this and to my surprise (since I go to an extremely liberal and at times leftist university), many told me that it's simply another culture and that my Americanized perspective constituted a bias towards their way of life.

If anyone is interested in responding to this, it would be greatly appeciated as I'm extraordinarily curious to hear what others have to say.

Uneducated? Amish? Strange idea. I would normally call all US-Americans uneducated but not so the Amish people. Very friendly people with good manners. I guess 8th grade means they start to go to school in the age of 6 and leave school 8 years later in the age of 14. I guess this is the old German system of school, where a vocational education follows and they will start afterwards to learn a job as well in theory and in practice. I heard the children of the Amish are very disciplined and they learn a lot. The school system of the Amish is part of the own culture - although they don't teach their religion in their schools. This is part of the family life and community life. I don't know whether they will make later a journeyman's examination (German: Gesellenprüfung) and a craftsman examination (German: Meisterprüfung), but if so then I think the Amish are able to solve every problem in every job. You miss perhaps an academic apprenticeship. But academics are often a little helpless in the requirements of the daily life.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the clothing. I mean Islamic people wear "exotic" clothing so do the Amish, and no matter how backward and legalistic and punitive they are, liberals can't fall all over them enough.

Okay then, evangelicals need some "exotic" clothing with hats and I guess that's all it would take then. LOL

After the school shootings in Amish country a few months ago, I became intrigued by their way of life and beliefs. Yet, my personal opinion of the culture is deeply conflicted.

On one hand, I respect their virtuous conduct in the name of Christ, their voluntary decision to exclude themselves from the inherent "evils" of mainstream society, and their restraint in forcing religious values on the outside world.

But within this reclusive sphere of existence comes a lack of education (most of them stop school after 8th grade in order to help their families earn modest incomes) and a lack of exposure to the benefits that society can offer. I truly believe that education is a national (and should be a universal) right. Without the gift of knowledge we are unable to independently define and rationalize our existence.

I've spoken to many of my friends at school about this and to my surprise (since I go to an extremely liberal and at times leftist university), many told me that it's simply another culture and that my Americanized perspective constituted a bias towards their way of life.

If anyone is interested in responding to this, it would be greatly appeciated as I'm extraordinarily curious to hear what others have to say.
well first off, your education statement is way off base.

they stop at 16, and of the 15% that don't go back, most can pass college entrance exams.

Wow this really proves my point.

People have a love affair with the Amish. I grew up in Mennonite country and they're a little better, but I have stories there too. It's just uncanny. I wonder how many of these folks who think the Amish are quaint are also liberals.....liberals tend to be very tolerant of Islam as well. Go figure that, huh? lol
I've known a few and I've seen documentary's on them.

amish won't chop off your head for not following god

they stop at 16, and of the 15% that don't go back, most can pass college entrance exams.

People have a love affair with the Amish. I grew up in Mennonite country and they're a little better, but I have stories there too. It's just uncanny. I wonder how many of these folks who think the Amish are quaint are also liberals.....liberals tend to be very tolerant of Islam as well. Go figure that, huh? lol

Neither will Christians almost anywhere. But they do shun their families if they don't conform to their rules, and they do live in a highly patriarchal system.

Why is that okay--why do you think that is so charming?

Neither will Christians almost anywhere. But they do shun their families if they don't conform to their rules, and they do live in a highly patriarchal system.

It's ok b/c it's non violent. disobey islam and your dad kills you, horribly as an example to the other kids.

I don't find them charming, I find them sheep like with an outdated and idiotic notion on how Christ wants them to live. no where does it say you can't have a car

It's ok b/c it's non violent. disobey islam and your dad kills you, horribly as an example to the other kids.

I don't find them charming, I find them sheep like with an outdated and idiotic notion on how Christ wants them to live. no where does it say you can't have a car

You defended them. You said they can pass college exams and they won't chop your head off.

Great, same can be said of many evangelicals. The difference is, most evangelicals don't shun their children and won't ever even see them again if they don't follow the rules about buttons. I mean I'm just being honest here.

Now that’s funny shit right there!

You defended them. You said they can pass college exams and they won't chop your head off.

Great, same can be said of many evangelicals. The difference is, most evangelicals don't shun their children and won't ever even see them again if they don't follow the rules about buttons. I mean I'm just being honest here.
all I said was their education is top notch, and it is.
the skill sets they learn can take them far in life.

but living he way they do is just ignorant

I grew up in Amish country. One of my best friends throughout childhood was an Amish kid. His name was Harley. He worked very hard and though their education level might not meet what you consider to be acceptable standards; consider this. When Harley turned 18 he was married (not too thrilled about it I might add), and his father bought him his own farm. At a cost of more than $200,000. Paid outright. So even though you may consider their education level a hinderance toward the accumulation of wealth, and successful family building. They do exceptionally well financially speaking. The town I grew up in saw a steady increase in Amish population as I grew up. I’ve long since moved away, but do go back occasionally to visit remaining family, and each time I am surprised to find that a property that once belonged to a neighbor, or classmates family now has new Amish owners. Their way of life while seemingly simple, lacks for nothing of importance. And I can assure you they have no difficulty in rationalizing their own existence. In point of fact they likely would question others rationale of their own existence, if it centered around consumerism. That is... If it were in them to be so judgemental.

They are very judgmental. With each other.

See my post.
Holding their own brethren to account, is central to many faiths. Who would expect anything different?

Okay I can meet you partway there. Certainly learning trades and skills that they do is very beneficial.

I grew up in Amish country. One of my best friends throughout childhood was an Amish kid. His name was Harley. He worked very hard and though their education level might not meet what you consider to be acceptable standards; consider this. When Harley turned 18 he was married (not too thrilled about it I might add), and his father bought him his own farm. At a cost of more than $200,000. Paid outright. So even though you may consider their education level a hinderance toward the accumulation of wealth, and successful family building. They do exceptionally well financially speaking. The town I grew up in saw a steady increase in Amish population as I grew up. I’ve long since moved away, but do go back occasionally to visit remaining family, and each time I am surprised to find that a property that once belonged to a neighbor, or classmates family now has new Amish owners. Their way of life while seemingly simple, lacks for nothing of importance. And I can assure you they have no difficulty in rationalizing their own existence. In point of fact they likely would question others rationale of their own existence, if it centered around consumerism. That is... If it were in them to be so judgemental.

See my post.
Holding their own brethren to account, is central to many faiths. Who would expect anything different?

They don't only hold them to account, they banish them from the only home they've ever known--from their entire family. That's very harsh and is also unbiblical.

The Amish are not what people think they are. They're not evil people, don't get me wrong. But also they are NOT the paragons of Christianity, by any stretch.

Meanwhile thousands of Amish at this moment are being productive and doing chores to ensure their own families success; while you absently type away on the Internet bashing them for living an “ignorant” lifestyle; contributing, and producing nothing, for anyone...
Ohh the irony...

See my post.

They don't only hold them to account, they banish them from the only home they've ever known--from their entire family. That's very harsh and is also unbiblical.

The Amish are not what people think they are. They're not evil people, don't get me wrong. But also they are NOT the paragons of Christianity, by any stretch.
break a rule does not = banishment

good lord, don't lie about something you have no understanding of.

Meanwhile thousands of Amish at this moment are being productive and doing chores to ensure their own families success; while you absently type away on the Internet bashing them for living an “ignorant” lifestyle; contributing, and producing nothing, for anyone...
Ohh the irony...
I put my 10 hours in already and will do another 10 later on, not including meals and chores of my own.

ignorance jokes are still funny.

Ohh the irony...

I already said they are hard-working and productive. But they are absolutely not the paragons of Christianity that people--mostly liberals and secularists--believe they are.

I mean what do you think Amish would do with a gay son? They would shun him. Absolutely they would. That means he would never, ever see any of his family again. Parents. Siblings. Aunts and uncles, cousins. This does occasionally happen in other Christian settings, but it is NOT prescribed. Believe that.

See my post.

break a rule does not = banishment

good lord, don't lie about something you have no understanding of.

No probably not for buttons. For other rules, yes.

Ohh the irony...

I already said they are hard-working and productive. But they are absolutely not the paragons of Christianity that people--mostly liberals and secularists--believe they are.

I mean what do you think Amish would do with a gay son? They would shun him. Absolutely they would. That means he would never, ever see any of his family again. Parents. Siblings. Aunts and uncles, cousins. This does occasionally happen in other Christian settings, but it is NOT prescribed. Believe that.
I personally don’t much care about religion till it effects me negatively. As for other people considering Amish to be “paragons of Christianity”... that’s a new one on me.
The Amish culture forbids homosexuality. So a leftist found an obscure hold out that hasn’t been brow beaten, and had Homosexuality rammed down its throat... Congratulations! Let your inquisition begin!
There’s nothing stopping homos from stating their own sect of queers who live the Amish lifestyle. See “The Shakers” for a glimpse into the potential success of such a movement.

Last edited:

Ohh the irony...

I personally don’t much care about religion till it effects me negatively. As for other people considering Amish to be “paragons of Christianity”... that’s a new one on me.
The Amish culture forbids homosexuality. So a leftist found an obscure hold out that hasn’t been brow beaten, and had Homosexuality rammed down its throat... Congratulations! Let your inquisition begin!
There’s nothing stopping homos from stating their own sect of queers who live the Amish lifestyle. See “The Shakers” for a glimpse into the potential success of such a movement.

I'm really starting to think there's something to the Leftists and weird clothes thing. They're drawn to it like flies to honey. Hmmmm

Now the Shakers. There's some strange goings-on, it's true.....

Part of the Amish, and Mennonite religious belief is the accumulation of WEALTH. They are very hard working, good negotiators, and astute businessmen. They have an obsession with money. I am not saying that is good, or bad, but it does contribute to them being self sufficient, and gives them the ability to pick, and choose which elements of modern society that want to embrace.

Their rules differ by sect, and are all over the place. It is a very interesting community.

Ohh the irony...

I'm really starting to think there's something to the Leftists and weird clothes thing. They're drawn to it like flies to honey. Hmmmm

Now the Shakers. There's some strange goings-on, it's true.....
While leftists do have some strange, and outright revolting proclivities; I’ve never heard of a connection to, or fixation on the Amish. Would you be so kind as to elaborate? I’m sure the board would enjoy learning more about your perspective. I know I would...

Forum List

Back