“My dying words will always be, as it has been, ‘I am an innocent man’” - Ledell Lee, who was executed in 2017: New DNA evidence shows he was innocent

No one should be executed when there is a possibility that person is innocent
I'm a supporter of Capital punishment but if there aren't at least a couple of eyewitnesses who agree on the person's guilt, I'd have no problem keeping them in prison for life.
So keep a man in prison for life, eventhough, he is probably innocent.

I just did some reflecting on what is being said, and my problem is the case is old, the DNA is old, because of that, he still may have done the crime but the DNA wont match because of age. Like the glove over O.J.s hand that when OJ takes his medicine the glove fit fine. He didnt take the meds, so his hand swelled up.
Yea he is black, so he is probably guilty. Right?

Any wronged person who suffers at the hands of the state is a victim. Worse if the "justice" is handed out via capital punishment.

Hopefully the Lord keeps and eye on such injustices and the victim, along with anyone who willingly and unjustly brandishes their power when they know it is unjust; are both repaid in full.

Sounds like he was railroaded into a death sentence.

If there is ANY evidence, no matter how small or "insignificant", then his lawyer should have demanded a new trial with the DNA evidence from the POTUS office.

Sounds like his lawyer was a moron, or paid off by the other side.

The problem is that the people hearing the appeals need proof before they can order a new trial. Everyone says they are innocent. So they don’t believe anyone.

Even if the person killed someone dear to you? Of course i wont hesitate to put an asshole into the grave if they do harm to my family or me. I dont believe in "turn the other cheek", i am an eye for an eye, type of guy....Do unto others before they do unto you.....
Floriduh man again spectacularly misses the point.

There should be ZERO doubt that someone who is executed is guilty, you should require DNA evidence, either an eyewitness or a dying declaration by the victim, or some other form of evidence that removes all doubt. That a state could execute an innocent man shows how flawed the justice system is in this country.

This was Neil Gorsuch's first vote as a Supreme Court justice, and he was likely dead wrong.

In other news, South Carolina doesn't have to worry about a shortage of the lethal injection cocktail.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The bill, approved by a 66-43 vote, will require condemned inmates to choose either being shot or electrocuted if lethal injection drugs aren’t available. The state is one of only nine to still use the electric chair and will become only the fourth to allow a firing squad.

"May have been" innocent still doesn't show that he was innocent.

Anyway, I am not a huge fan of the death penalty. Right when I am on the edge of being against it, some case comes along when the murderer ruthlessly committed the act or tortured the victim and I would be willing to execute them myself.

There should be ZERO doubt that someone who is executed is guilty, you should require DNA evidence, either an eyewitness or a dying declaration by the victim, or some other form of evidence that removes all doubt. That a state could execute an innocent man shows how flawed the justice system is in this country.

This was Neil Gorsuch's first vote as a Supreme Court justice, and he was likely dead wrong.

In other news, South Carolina doesn't have to worry about a shortage of the lethal injection cocktail.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The bill, approved by a 66-43 vote, will require condemned inmates to choose either being shot or electrocuted if lethal injection drugs aren’t available. The state is one of only nine to still use the electric chair and will become only the fourth to allow a firing squad.

Firing squad?

Wow, they are going old school in S. Carolina.

As I age and learn about the world, human nature and humanity in general. In particular, the lack of principle and the lack consequences for those who work to undermine others rights, I am far less willing to accept capital punishment then I had been in years gone.

As most state, I'd need DNA, eye witness evidence, in particular video evidence for me to vote for C.P. Let people sit in jail and if they are innocent, they can fight it.

There is a really horrible feeling in my stomach even when I hear of men sitting in prison for crimes they didn't commit. The pit grows larger when you read of people being put to death while innocent. There is something really soul crushing about this. I don't know how a person in the justice system could live with themselves under such circumstances.

I just did some reflecting on what is being said, and my problem is the case is old, the DNA is old, because of that, he still may have done the crime but the DNA wont match because of age. Like the glove over O.J.s hand that when OJ takes his medicine the glove fit fine. He didnt take the meds, so his hand swelled up.
Yea he is black, so he is probably guilty. Right?
Ready , set ,go !!!!! Race Race Race......

Wow, that whole story seriously sucks. they were trying to use up their lethal injection formula before it expired?? I think Arkansas politics has some history of malfunction but thats some scary shit.

I believe in the death penalty, but only for those where there is ZERO doubt

Yeah.. i sort of agree with that. You better have solid eye witnesses... no question.

Did he have a criminal record aside from this crime? Did the authority take the opportunity to get rid of a career criminal.

Did he have a criminal record aside from this crime? Did the authority take the opportunity to get rid of a career criminal.

thats not right tipsy... you cant kill people for crimes they didnt do or for lesser ones. If you read the article they were just in some sort of rush. thats not the way justice works. It's too close to mob justice to me

thats not right tipsy... you cant kill people for crimes they didnt do or for lesser ones. If you read the article they were just in some sort of rush. thats not the way justice works. It's too close to mob justice to me

It might not be right but it happens.

This is why I turned away from the death penalty.
"Reasonable doubt" is not nearly enough of a standard when we are going to murder a prisoner.
It is murder. State sanctioned murder but murder nonetheless. Used to be I'd say "that guy will never kill anyone again" and poo poo the "what if he's innocent."
Then I saw them releasing innocent men from death row. RELEASING because they were proven innocent and I wondered if we'd killed any innocents in the name of "Justice."
Don't care how guilty one is or how horrible the offense, until we can be 100% certain 100% of the time, don't kill.

Sounds like he was railroaded into a death sentence.
What would be the motive for that?
To close the case.

I'm not sure on the details but...

In the 80s there was a serial killer around Gainesville, FL. Everyone scared, a killer behind every corner.
FHP followed a "suspicious" kid from Gainesville to his home around Melbourne where they arrested him for assault on his grandmother.
Now, understand, the alleged "crime" occurred in Brevard County but they transferred the kid back to Gainesville for "questioning."
The media, police, politicians had this kid fitted for the electric chair.
But, there were two problems.
Every competent criminal profilers shook their head and say "I don't think so."
The crime scenes were particularly horrific and the victims sexually posed for discovery.
Not the work, they said, of an 18 year old kid.
The other problem? The kid was innocent.
But that didn't stop them from holding him.
That is, until they arrested the killer. A 40 year old drifter.
They quietly transferred this kid back to Brevard county and dropped the charges.

Oh, and BTW...Absolutely destroyed this kid's life.
All so they could get that quick arrest and allay the public fear.

Convictions of the innocent to get the case closed are not uncommon.
Also not uncommon to see the prosecution oppose release EVEN when the person is proven innocent.
DID YOU KNOW...
In the 1980s and may still be
In Texas, innocence is not a cause for appeal.
May be true elsewhere as well.

Forum List

Back