My conclusions on the police

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
Ever since Ferguson I have scoured the internet daily. I have looked at innumerable videos ranging in length from a ten second one that showed the end of Tamir Rice to those lasting minutes as officers beat the hell out of people. (ala 'Rodney king) I have read hundreds of articles, from short incidents in the papers to the FBI reports on crime and reporting procedures. I have read studies on grand juries, their function, statistics on their indictments, and relationships to DAs . Reports on the function of internal affairs and their outcomes.

A few things stand out:

We have no idea of how many people are killed yearly by the police as they are not required to report them all. Reasonable estimates suggest the the number is at least double that reported and probably more.

Until recently the only "evidence" presented was that supplied by the officers themselves. That is changing with the ever present cell phone video.

As far as grand juries go it is evident that the DA and the cops have a symbiotic relationship where they must stay on good terms with one another or both will suffer the consequences of each others wrath. It is written that a DA can indict a ham sandwich and that is born out by the rates of indictment, well over 90% in general. The fact that convictions in regular trial are nowhere near that figure also bears out how tenuous the evidence may be for grand juries to indict.

Then there are the grand jury trials of police officers. Indictment rate? Less than 5%. Since it would seem that only the most egregious cases of police misconduct would even be presented to a grand jury this is a real killer figure and reinforces the (seeming) fact that a grand jury trial for a law office is not so much a search for cause as it is a defense trial for the officer. The Ferguson trial was a poster boy for that although it is far from being the worst example.

Is this racial? Yes, I think there is an element of that although not in every case as I have seen all colors of cops beating up all colors of citizens in whatever combination you can imagine. In what cases I have seen that a white person and a black have had similar encounters for similar causes the black man suffers far worse consequences.

One thing that stands out is the utter brutality and vulgarity of these encounters. I once said the academies must teach courses in these subjects as well as requiring proficiency in using the "F" word (and other vulgarities) as the major part of their language in dealing with the public. I realize that these videos are there because the exhibit bad behavior, and one can only hope that they are an exception but I wonder. So many of these are just stops of people who are simply impolite or who insist that their rights be observed. So often the cops threaten to find something, anything to "drag your sorry as to jail right now" Seriously, this is such a common phrase it become almost funny in a disgusting kind of way.

The physicality? I have seen no video of a one on one encounter. Most were two or three on one and so many were simply gang take downs where the (so called) criminal was simply overwhelmed by sheer numbers and beaten severely in the process. Many of these look like acts of sadism. (definitions 2 and 3) Often the beating does not stop with handcuffs.

Killings? Lord our cops are trigger happy. They shoot folks running away. When they stop running. Sometimes the very act of stopping running and turning around is enough to get one blown away. A twitch, a slight downward movement of the arms. One guy got it for turning his head while face down in handcuffs.

Well they say the cops are just protecting themselves in dangerous situations. Maybe but it sure looks like hell on the videos. Perhaps I would react this way but I am not a trained policeman. Surely in these"professionals" we have a right to expect more than knee jerk reactions to these situations. In far too many cases they just made a bad decision and they blame fear. Again, maybe so but they appear far too fearful in a job that requires them not to be.

Then there is always the excuse of inherent danger in the job. There is that but one must admit this danger is not omnipresent and that cops are far down the list of most dangerous jobs. In fact, statistically, although it will vary slightly on a year to year basis. a police officer is less likely to be killed by violence, on the job than the average civilian is to be killed by murder.

In house investigations and punishment? You will hear tales of how how the cops are their own best critics. That could be considered the lie of the century. Once again, up until now the evidence acted upon by internal affairs was primarily just the cop vs the victim. We know who wins there. These "investigations", for the simplest of cases will typically drag on for months, only to be settled by a slap on the wrist (if that) long after the public has forgotten the circumstance. Very likely the result will never see the light of day.

Millions on dollars are awarded in civil trials to police victims where the cop has been exonerated by the force. Apparently some juries are not so charitable.

Here we depart from what I have learned to what I think, opinion if you will, and it it is harsh criticism of the "good cops". Not for the job they are doing as they deserve every credit imaginable for doing a difficult job well. My criticism is for their tolerance of the "bad" cops. The sadists the control freaks, the power geeks, the ones that should be booted out immediately and never should have been allowed on the force to begin with. I realize the difficulty as they might have to depend on these assholes for protection some day. Kicking them out would take real courage. It may well be the most dangerous thing they could ever do but until it is done, and it must have the full cooperation of the administration, these guys will deserve no better than the ones they protect.

You either serve the public or you serve your buddy. You can't do both.

Every killing is reported to include any done by the cops. There is no hidden murders out there and that you believe that says a lot about your thoughts and opinions.

But you are in good company here as there are a butt load of lefties and righties that think all cops are evil and murderers.

archon68_do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Every killing is reported to include any done by the cops. There is no hidden murders out there and that you believe that says a lot about your thoughts and opinions.

But you are in good company here as there are a butt load of lefties and righties that think all cops are evil and murderers.

Not true. Not all killings by the cops are reported to the FBI where these statistics are kept. Look it up.

The police do not serve the people; they serve the state and we're involuntarily paying them to do it.

The police do not serve the people; they serve the state and we're involuntarily paying them to do it.
I hate that funding for the Fire dept. is always tied to Police funding on ballots.

I got taken to the hospital in January because I passed out. I just got a bill in the mail today from the City of Henderson billing me $1,000 for the ambulance ride and I'm like, wait a minute, what the fuck are my taxes paying for??

I hate that funding for the Fire dept. is always tied to Police funding on ballots.

I got taken to the hospital in January because I passed out. I just got a bill in the mail today from the City of Henderson billing me $1,000 for the ambulance ride and I'm like, wait a minute, what the fuck are my taxes paying for??

You got Obamacare. That'll pay it.

This thread became invalid at "...ive been scouring the internet..." to create an opinion on cops.

Wow.

Despite what their motor vehicles may indicate, "Protecting" and "Serving" are two things the SCOTUS has determined are NOT required roles of American police officers. Their role, according to SCOTUS is to investigate crimes, arrest the suspects and assist in the prosecution of those suspects. Nothing More. They really have no direct role in assisting the general public.

To that end, their main interest, as it should be, is going home in one piece at the end of the shift. If they have to beat the snot out of someone, or shoot them, so be it. That is as it should be. If/when the police are beholding to the public, it becomes much more difficult for them to do their job.... enforcing the laws, whether they agree with/like them or not.

Despite what their motor vehicles may indicate, "Protecting" and "Serving" are two things the SCOTUS has determined are NOT required roles of American police officers. Their role, according to SCOTUS is to investigate crimes, arrest the suspects and assist in the prosecution of those suspects. Nothing More. They really have no direct role in assisting the general public.

To that end, their main interest, as it should be, is going home in one piece at the end of the shift. If they have to beat the snot out of someone, or shoot them, so be it. That is as it should be. If/when the police are beholding to the public, it becomes much more difficult for them to do their job.... enforcing the laws, whether they agree with/like them or not.

Which is why I'll never give up my firearms.

These days, for the most part, ambulances are run by private companies...

Great point. The politically correct "community policing" bullshit has skewed expectations.

Police commanders use "serve". So does the military. They also "serve".

But some people think cops should "serve" them the way an Applebees waitress serves. No. Not the same.

Cops serve a purpose that keeps a society functioning in a state of civility and order. It may directly help some. It may directly hurt some.

The way a cops service helps...or hurts...depends on THE CITIZEN'S actions...not the cops.

You decide if police hurt or help you...based on your actions. Cops will largely keep being the same way. Accept it. And behave like a damn civilized human.

Last edited:
Great point. The politically correct "community policing" bullshit has skewed expectations.

Police commanders use "serve". So does the military. They also "serve".

But some people think cops should "serve" them the wait an Applebees waitress serves. No. Not the same.

Cops serve a purpose that keeps a society functioning in a state of civility and order. It may directly help some. It may directly hurt some.

The way a cops service helps...or hurts...depends on THE CITIZEN'S actions...not the cops.

You decide if police hurt or help you...based on your actions. Cops will largely keep being the same way. Accept it. And behave like a damn civilized human.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

These days, for the most part, ambulances are run by private companies...

The City of Henderson is not a private company.

Pensions.

You're right actually. If you go to OpenNevada.org and look at what policemen and firefighters are getting paid in our city it's fucking obscene. I don't think there is a cop in this city making under a $100k

Pensions.

You're right actually. If you go to OpenNevada.org and look at what policemen and firefighters are getting paid in our city it's fucking obscene. I don't think there is a cop in this city making under a $100k

Good. Dealing with people like you...they deserve more.

Forum List

Back