Music of the 70's - Who's Missing?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a "member" of a Facebook group that posts about music of the 70's. The Eagles, Simon and G, Three Dog Night, and so on.

My YouTube feed included a biography of John Denver today. I scanned through it, and it occurred to me that the 70's music group NEVER mentions John Denver, and yet he was one of the top artists of the decade. Sold more than a hundred million records.

What is it about John Denver that resulted in him being "cancelled"?

When his songs come on you will see most folks singing along. Maybe people don't discuss his music because it may be difficult to categorize it. His was crossover music that covered both Pop and Country.

I believe, it was because he stood with Frank Zappa against the agenda of the PMRC in the 80s?

Opposing witnesses​

". . .. Folk rock musician John Denver referred to the proposed labels as censorship and stated he was "strongly opposed to censorship of any kind in our society or anywhere else in the world", and that in his experience censors often misinterpret music, as was the case with his song "Rocky Mountain High". He further compared the PMRC proposals to Nazi book burnings,[11] and expressed his belief that censorship is ultimately counterproductive: "That which is denied becomes that which is most desired, and that which is hidden becomes that which is most interesting. Consequently, a great deal of time and energy is spent trying to get at what is being kept from you." When Denver came up to give his speech, many expected him to side with the PMRC.[12][11]. . "

Look what the establishment is doing to Trump? If you dare to stand against the man? They will squash you like a tomato bug.

. . . so yeah, after that, I don't remember corporations giving the radio his songs airplay any longer.

:ack-1:

I believe, it was because he stood with Frank Zappa against the agenda of the PMRC in the 80s?

Opposing witnesses​

". . .. Folk rock musician John Denver referred to the proposed labels as censorship and stated he was "strongly opposed to censorship of any kind in our society or anywhere else in the world", and that in his experience censors often misinterpret music, as was the case with his song "Rocky Mountain High". He further compared the PMRC proposals to Nazi book burnings,[11] and expressed his belief that censorship is ultimately counterproductive: "That which is denied becomes that which is most desired, and that which is hidden becomes that which is most interesting. Consequently, a great deal of time and energy is spent trying to get at what is being kept from you." When Denver came up to give his speech, many expected him to side with the PMRC.[12][11]. . "

Look what the establishment is doing to Trump? If you dare to stand against the man? They will squash you like a tomato bug.

. . . so yeah, after that, I don't remember corporations giving the radio his songs airplay any longer.

:ack-1:

Oh, poor poor Trump. Give me a break.

Forum List

Back