Most state lawmakers earn low salaries. It impacts who can afford to be one

this is a worthy topic, my friends!

Bullshit. Every politician I know loves his job.

My one buddy just retired from the police. He will receive a pension. He now makes like $85k as a county clerk.

Heres the kicker. If he wins a second term, he will also get a pension for being a politician. Just 8 years he gets a pension? On top of his police pension?

We don’t want to start making this argument corporations make. If you want to attract the best you have to pay competitive wages.

How about only people who think $85k is enough should be politicians. If you need more stay in the private sector

It's like everything else in life, you pursue the things that you can afford or if you are "all that" as a current low-level politician then you get someone else to foot the bill for you through donations to your campaign so you can seek higher office.....It's also how you find yourself in the pocket of special interests.

Say what---they go in to make money $$$$ but most of them make their money under the table and through bribes via their family............
My ex cop buddy loves his job as county clerk. He’s important, gets to make decisions, makes about $80k and will get a pension in 8 years. He likes it more than being a cop.

He isn’t corrupt but could make a business deal while out there raising campaign money or going to fund raisers. It might be a conflict of interest but whatever.

Not low enough
The board members in my condo don’t get paid. They like having decision making ability and power.

Some say, “they shouldn’t have to pay association dues”. My argument for that is if they don’t pay them they’ll never mind raising them on the rest of us.

It's like everything else in life, you pursue the things that you can afford or if you are "all that" as a current low-level politician then you get someone else to foot the bill for you through donations to your campaign so you can seek higher office.....It's also how you find yourself in the pocket of special interests.
My politician friend admitted that bs about wanting to serve is bullshit. He knows it’s a good gig. Same for being a cop. How many go into it because they want to serve. Bullshit. It’s a job those kind of guys love to do. Then they get in and like everyone else, they complain how hard the job is. Teachers do this too. They just didn’t realize it’s a tough job.

My buddy loves being county clears and he’s not underpaid. Overpaid if you ask me. I’d do away with the pension After only serving 8 years.

When properly conceived, state legislators should only be in session for a maximum of four weeks per year. Any more than that, they get into mischief.

It should be a part-time job with term limits, so that ordinary citizens can participate.

The very idea of a PENSION for state lawmakers is an abomination for the taxpayers.

Say what---they go in to make money $$$$ but most of them make their money under the table and through bribes via their family............
^^^ Nailed it! In fact 60 Minutes did an investigative story catching dozens in the act of taking and soliciting bribes and they went to JAIL! And yes the corruption does't stop there, here's a word...patronage. Did you know that in NY patronage jobs are not subject to civil service salaries? They get their family and friends into those jobs earning north of $140k a year.

In NY a state government leader got his brother a cushy patronage job he wasn't even qualified to hold for over $130k a year. It was too inconvenient for his brother to commute to work to his government office in Albany 25 miles away so the state government leader leased his brother an office near his house for $50k a year paid for by taxpayers. That $50k a year went to...yes the state government leader's next door neighbor. Outrageous even by NY standards when this story broke the brother resigned and they got rid of the $50k a year office. Naturally NY being the corrupt to the core state that it is, a few months later after things had died down on page 10 it was reported the brother once again got another state patronage job for $130k+ doing something else he wasn't qualified to do.

My politician friend admitted that bs about wanting to serve is bullshit. He knows it’s a good gig. Same for being a cop. How many go into it because they want to serve. Bullshit. It’s a job those kind of guys love to do. Then they get in and like everyone else, they complain how hard the job is. Teachers do this too. They just didn’t realize it’s a tough job.

My buddy loves being county clears and he’s not underpaid. Overpaid if you ask me. I’d do away with the pension After only serving 8 years.

County Clerk isn't an elected job, nor is it a political job, although being friends with county officials will be asset in getting the job. The salaried jobs in government are a decent gig, but they don't pay nearly as well as the private sector. They are also an introduction to opportunity. You don't have to be corrupt or on the take, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open to what's going on, and who's doing what.

Everything that's happening in the county has to go through the Clerk's office - applications, approvals, licenses, contracts. It's a mecca of useful information. And you get to know everyone.

At the municipal level, there is a LOT of non-legal opportunities too. A lot of pocket lining, especially in construction. It takes about 2 years to develop a piece of land. During which time you simply spend money on the project with nothing coming in. A lot of developers go broke before they even break ground. Even honest developers pay bribes. If you can shave 6 months off the time frame buy greasing the skids here or there, it could save your project. Yes, it really is that bad.

When properly conceived, state legislators should only be in session for a maximum of four weeks per year. Any more than that, they get into mischief.

It should be a part-time job with term limits, so that ordinary citizens can participate.

The very idea of a PENSION for state lawmakers is an abomination for the taxpayers.

I have a real issue with "part time job with term limits". What you're saying is that just about the time when people really get to know what they're doing, and can truly make a difference in the job, they can't run again. I think that encourages shenanigans, rather than stops them.

You can't make a career out of the job, so you'd just "get it while you can". You have X number of years to get yourself set up in your next career.

I have been fortunate enough to have career politicians who really did do right by their constituents. My City Councillor in Toronto was such a man. He went on to become my MP, and the Leader of the NDP Party in Canada. The only time in my life I've ever voted NDP.

If you called his office, you got a call back within minutes. If you had an issue, they would resolve it within a day. Nobody worked harder for his voters than Jack. If he'd run for King of the World, I would have voted for him.

County Clerk isn't an elected job, nor is it a political job, although being friends with county officials will be asset in getting the job. The salaried jobs in government are a decent gig, but they don't pay nearly as well as the private sector. They are also an introduction to opportunity. You don't have to be corrupt or on the take, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open to what's going on, and who's doing what.

Everything that's happening in the county has to go through the Clerk's office - applications, approvals, licenses, contracts. It's a mecca of useful information. And you get to know everyone.

At the municipal level, there is a LOT of non-legal opportunities too. A lot of pocket lining, especially in construction. It takes about 2 years to develop a piece of land. During which time you simply spend money on the project with nothing coming in. A lot of developers go broke before they even break ground. Even honest developers pay bribes. If you can shave 6 months off the time frame buy greasing the skids here or there, it could save your project. Yes, it really is that bad.
Yes he did hav to run and win an election. At least in this particular county you do.

Assuming the person has had a successful career be they run, they should probably be close to retirement age and have money saved.

He could have continued to be a police officer. With overtime would maybe make more. But he was burned out and this $85k a year gig he clearly loves. And in 8 years he will guarantee get a pension. Not a bad gig.

I don’t want to give away who he is or I’d say the county.

Oops. It’s a township county clerk.

What are the qualifications to run for township office?
To qualify for either township supervisor, treasurer, clerk or trustee, a person must be a township elector, but property ownership is not required. An elector is defined as someone 18 years of age, who is a U.S. citizen and has lived at least 30 days in the township for which they will serve.

My buddy won. Clerk.

Okay, but who wants to get their taxes raised in order to pay extra to the civil servants?

What are the qualifications to run for township office?
To qualify for either township supervisor, treasurer, clerk or trustee, a person must be a township elector, but property ownership is not required. An elector is defined as someone 18 years of age, who is a U.S. citizen and has lived at least 30 days in the township for which they will serve.

My buddy won. Clerk.

In Canada, Clerk's aren't elected, they're appointed. But good jobs like that with the country mean you have to be connected with the guys in charge to get the job.

When we first moved to the country from Toronto, and my SIL was looking for work, we learned about a new job which had opened up with the Township road crew, where we lived. My SIL applied. I told my daughter he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that job. I grew up a rural community. I know how these things work in real life.

That job would go to the son or nephew of one of the councillors, or his buddies. No out of towner, especially one fresh from Toronto, was going to take a good $30 an hour plus benefits job away from some ne'er do well offspring of one of the locals who just isn't cut out for farming, and is never going to make much of himself. These jobs are the salvation for these yokels. One of my buddies when I was single, was on our township road crew where I grew up. That's how he got the job. My SIL didn't even get a call for an interview.

Clerk is a much higher level job. That one would go to some bright young up and comer, who knows how to play ball. To keep him in the community, rather than lose him to the city. But you can't have a goody two shoes as County Clerk, because nothing will ever get done if you try that. You need someone who is "flexible", but with discretion.

Sadly, local politics are the most corrupt, and that's the group most people see.

ETA: This post is not a stamp of approval on this bribery and corruption. Just an acknowledgement of reality.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back