Morocco earthquake 6.8, Destruction overwhelming

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
I was checking weather dot com for a 10-day forecast when I ran into this blurb about a 6.8 quake near Marrakesh, Morocco that said:

(Image of survivors at link below.)​

The earthquake struck at 11:11 p.m. local time (6:11 p.m. EDT) about 43 miles south of Marrakech, the capital of Morocco.​
As of early Saturday, Morocco's Interior Ministry said at least 296 people had died in the quake, according to the Associated Press. More than 150 injured people were sent to hospitals. Most of the deaths and injuries were in provinces near the earthquake's epicenter high in the Atlas Mountains.​
Videos shared on social media sites showed buildings crumbled. The famous red walls that surround the old city in Marrakech were damaged, AP reported.​
Prayers up for the 300 people who were killed, and homes were shaken into rubble. :hands:

Last edited:
I was checking weather dot com for a 10-day forecast when I ran into this blurb about a 6.8 quake near Marrakesh, Morocco that said:

Image of survivors at link below.​

The earthquake struck at 11:11 p.m. local time (6:11 p.m. EDT) about 43 miles south of Marrakech, the capital of Morocco.​
As of early Saturday, Morocco's Interior Ministry said at least 296 people had died in the quake, according to the Associated Press. More than 150 injured people were sent to hospitals. Most of the deaths and injuries were in provinces near the earthquake's epicenter high in the Atlas Mountains.​
Videos shared on social media sites showed buildings crumbled. The famous red walls that surround the old city in Marrakech were damaged, AP reported.​
Prayers up for the 300 people who were killed, and homes were shaken into rubble​

This is tragic.

Most of the structures in places like Turkey, Syria, Morocco, and other earthquake prone locations are not built to withstand them, and they always have high casualty rates, also due to population density.

Yep. This is something they should have dealt with years ago.

You didn't go to the Blue City?

Nope, just Tangier. I was only at Rota Naval Station for a week or so for the DoD.

When you get off the boat at the port in Tangier you are immediately surrounded by a mod of children trying to sell you things. There are a bunch of spice shops there, and I bought some packets of cumin and others, but when I got home to the States, I was leery of putting any in my food. The restaurant seafood that I had was very good.

Nope, just Tangier. I was only at Rota Naval Station for a week or so for the DoD.

When you get off the boat at the port in Tangier you are immediately surrounded by a mod of children trying to sell you things. There are a bunch of spice shops there, and I bought some packets of cumin and others, but when I got home to the States, I was leery of putting any in my food. The restaurant seafood that I had was very good.
Yea, the hustling in that country I hear is bad, not only the children begging but the adults trying to be your "guide" or lead you into their shops or taxi's.

Forum List

Back