More coal power plants close under Dumbo than Obama

Can't be. We're "bringing back coal".

Colsing plants would be the opposite of that.

Uh-huh, I guess you didn't get the memo that the United States isn't the only country that uses coal and that U.S. Coal exports were up more than 60% YoY 2016-2017.

So yeah, we're burning (slightly) less domestically as market forces make alternatives more price attractive but at the same time we're selling MORE of it to the rest of the world.

Why would anybody think that's a bad thing?

China buys most of it.

Jo

Umm.. No the top export destination for U.S. Coal is India followed by South Korea, The Netherlands, Japan and Brazil, China isn't even in the top 10.

"It's not what we know that gets us into trouble, it's what we're sure of that just ain't so" -- Mark Twain

Uh-huh, I guess you didn't get the memo that the United States isn't the only country that uses coal and that U.S. Coal exports were up more than 60% YoY 2016-2017.

So yeah, we're burning (slightly) less domestically as market forces make alternatives more price attractive but at the same time we're selling MORE of it to the rest of the world.

Once again an Op didn't bother to research before he let everyone one know what a fool he is.

Yeah, apparently it's too complicated for some people to figure out that the "war on coal" that President Twitter was referring to wasn't the domestic CONSUMPTION of coal but the domestic PRODUCTION of coal, I don't think the OP knows the difference between the two otherwise he/she wouldn't have posted this thread.

.. and the data indicates that Coal exports are up again in 2017-2018 by over 26% YoY and domestic production was up by over 6% YoY 2016-2017 (I haven't seen the production data come out for 2018 CY yet).

That doesn't however mean we're seeing a big jump in employment (number of employees rose 2.4% YoY 2016-2017) in that sector since producers are getting more efficient (producing more with fewer operational mines).

Much as I blame Trump for duping desperate people into thinking coal would make a comeback to it's glory days, it is so sad to see those dependent on its use lose jobs. And selling to off-shore countries isn't that good for our lungs either, since the atmosphere covers the whole Earth. We can be pollution free and still suffer the effects of other countries. It's like our end of this boat called Earth isn't sinking so we think we're safe, but if they go down they take us with them. Not that I blame anyone dependent on coal mining to hope and hang on til the last dog dies, like I did watching Buick and Oldsmobile and Pontiac hit the extinct pile.
Black lung vote

China buys most of it.

Jo

Umm.. No the top export destination for U.S. Coal is India followed by South Korea, The Netherlands, Japan and Brazil, China isn't even in the top 10.

"It's not what we know that gets us into trouble, it's what we're sure of that just ain't so" -- Mark Twain

Good info! Thanks
I think I assumed that since China had more coal fired plants than anyone else they were our biggest customer. I'm not surprised to see those names in the list however.
Fact is we can burn coal just as cleanly as
Nat Gas if we choose to. The developing natives are not going to go through that trouble unfortunately.

Jo

China buys most of it.

Jo

Good info! Thanks
I think I assumed that since China had more coal fired plants than anyone else they were our biggest customer. I'm not surprised to see those names in the list however.
Fact is we can burn coal just as cleanly as
Nat Gas if we choose to. The developing natives are not going to go through that trouble unfortunately.

Jo

Understandable and you're correct China relies heavily on coal fired plants for electricity production (80% of their production), however they also produce over 4 times as much coal annually (accounting for over 45% of total global production) as the U.S. does (China is the worlds largest coal producer), so they really don't need to buy much from other countries (Yet).

The U.S. has larger coal reserves (we have the largest proven reserves in the world) , we just don't mine ours as extensively as the Chinese mine theirs (they have the 3rd largest proven reserves).

Much as I blame Trump for duping desperate people into thinking coal would make a comeback to it's glory days, it is so sad to see those dependent on its use lose jobs. And selling to off-shore countries isn't that good for our lungs either, since the atmosphere covers the whole Earth. We can be pollution free and still suffer the effects of other countries. It's like our end of this boat called Earth isn't sinking so we think we're safe, but if they go down they take us with them. Not that I blame anyone dependent on coal mining to hope and hang on til the last dog dies, like I did watching Buick and Oldsmobile and Pontiac hit the extinct pile.
Lol
You do realize most of the Coal this country his mined in Wyoming. So shut the fuck up

Trust me... If nat gas keeps going up...
Coal will come back with our without Trump's help.

Jo

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics/pennsylvania-coal-plants-weir-wxc/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

More coal powered plants closed under Dumbo than Obama?.....IS COAL BACK YET? What a stupid man we have as so called president...

Yes there were also more sun spots under Obama.... But they had nothing to do with the oval office. Fracking is what shifted the hydrocarbon emphasis form coal to cheap Nat gas. Now that the gas vendors are gouging coal is once again being looked at.

Jo

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics/pennsylvania-coal-plants-weir-wxc/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

More coal powered plants closed under Dumbo than Obama?.....IS COAL BACK YET? What a stupid man we have as so called president...

Yes there were also more sun spots under Obama.... But they had nothing to do with the oval office. Fracking is what shifted the hydrocarbon emphasis form coal to cheap Nat gas. Now that the gas vendors are gouging coal is once again being looked at.

Jo

Face it....Coal will not be back....not will white only bathrooms....much to the disappointment of the Racist in Chief.

Jo

Face it....Coal will not be back....not will white only bathrooms....much to the disappointment of the Racist in Chief.

That's the spirit!

When the premise of your thread gets completely destroyed by the facts you must always switch to tossing out accusations of racism.:rolleyes:

Jo

That's the spirit!

When the premise of your thread gets completely destroyed by the facts you must always switch to tossing out accusations of racism.:rolleyes:

You REALLY don't want to go with Facts.....like the 4,000 terrorist the liars said crossed the southern border. Actually 6 were CAUGHT who were on the watch list.

Everyone knows trump is a liar and he sends his minions out to lie for him. He cannot be believed....NONE OF THEM.

Does Sarah Huck Sanders know she is going to Hell for lying for trump? If she doesn't....she needs to ask daddy....

Jo

That's the spirit!

You REALLY don't want to go with Facts.....like the 4,000 terrorist the liars said crossed the southern border. Actually 6 were CAUGHT who were on the watch list.

Everyone knows trump is a liar and he sends his minions out to lie for him. He cannot be believed....NONE OF THEM.

Does Sarah Huck Sanders know she is going to Hell for lying for trump? If she doesn't....she needs to ask daddy....

What does any of that have to do with domestic coal production ?

I guess when slinging charges of racism fail to do the trick you'll just throw in any random partisan gibberish in a vain attempt to divert attention away from the fact that you're full of shit, huh?

So you're in favor of MORE coal powered plants in the United States?

No dumbass, he is talking about the dupes who voted for Trump because he promised them to reverse the decline of the coal industry and middle-of-nowhere places in general.

Forum List

Back