Monarch butterflies are now an endangered species.

I thought they'd already been endangered for some time. Maybe I was thinking of something else.

Oddly, butterflies are probably one of my favorite things about sitting out on the porch in the summer. They're everywhere, so long as they have something drawing them in.

• Banned
I thought they'd already been endangered for some time. Maybe I was thinking of something else.

Oddly, butterflies are probably one of my favorite things about sitting out on the porch in the summer. They're everywhere, so long as they have something drawing them in.

I planted a milk weed, to attract them.

I planted a milk weed, to attract them.

Yeah, they're drawn in by a lot of different herbs and regular leafy plants. Different varieties of sage bring in the hummingbirds and the buttelies pretty regularly. Doesn't always have to be flowers.

Some years ago I had my property evaluated and approved for a natural wildlife habitat. It's nothing governmental or anything. Many different wildlife organizations do it, all you have to do is have a variety of plants and, of course, water sources and food sources in the form of plants and trees for different species. And you get a little decorative sign for your property.

If you keep up with it, all sorts of critters move in.

I've almost been nailed by the skunks a few times at night, whenever mama skunk brings her babies to feed off the lower hanging apples or whatever has fallen to the ground. When she flips upside down, it's time to hit the bricks.

I used to chase monarchy butterflies up at the family cottage when I was a kid. Beautiful little creatures that only God could create. Just watch them when they land on a flower and flap their wings slowly while sitting there.

There must be some organizations protecting and breeding them.

I remember seeing Monarchs every summer when I was a kid

I can’t remember the last one I saw

Forum List

Back