Moab to investigate police handling of Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito altercation

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
While I understand that some people may be looking for anyone to blame in this young woman's death, they seem to be targeting the wrong agency in my opinion. I don't understand why Laundrie is still being referred to as a person of interest instead of a suspect considering the totality of the "circumstantial" evidence at this point in time.

From what I've heard in the news, by letting him remain a person of interest anyone who assists him in evading the police or leaving the country would be doing so lawfully since he's not as of yet been charged with a crime.

If nothing more, I don't understand why they didn't have him under surveillance between the time Gabby's parents reported her missing on 9/11/21 and the time he disappeared 3 days later on 9/14/2021. They didn't have enough time?
The City of Moab, Utah, tells Fox News on Thursday that it is launching an investigation into how police handled an Aug. 12 incident between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie.​
"With the weeks-long search for Ms. Petito across the western U.S., news that a call to Grand County Dispatch on Aug. 12 reported a possible domestic dispute between Ms. Petito and Brian Laundrie here in Moab has naturally led to questions from the media and the public about the call," the city of Moab said Thursday. "During the past week, our police officers have been both praised and criticized for their response and their resolution of the incident involving Ms. Petito and Mr. Laundrie."​
"At this time, the City of Moab is unaware of any breach of Police Department policy during this incident," their statement continued. "However, the City will conduct a formal investigation and, based on the results, will take any next steps that may be appropriate."​
Gabby Petito, left, and Brian Laundrie are seen in bodycam footage released by the Moab City Police Department in Utah.

Gabby Petito, left, and Brian Laundrie are seen in bodycam footage released by the Moab City Police Department in Utah. (Moab City Police Department)
The city also said "we understand that individuals can view the same situation in very different ways, and we recognize how the death of Ms. Petito more than two weeks later in Wyoming might lead to speculation, in hindsight, about actions taken during the incident in Moab."​
Moab City Police Chief Bret Edge, in a statement provided to Fox News on Thursday, said an outside party filed a request with the department to conduct an investigation and that it will "identify an unaffiliated law enforcement agency to conduct the formal investigation on our behalf."​
"Should the investigation identify areas for improvement we will take that information to heart, learn from it, and make changes if needed to ensure we are providing the best response and service to our community," Edge added.​
A witness to the domestic incident between Petito and Laundrie believed that the couple was fighting over a phone and that Laundrie may have been trying to ditch his fiancée, according to a witness statement obtained by Fox News earlier this week.​
"They were talking aggressively [at] each other [and] something definitely seemed off," the witness, identified only as Christopher, wrote in the Aug. 12 statement. "At one point, they were sort of fighting over a phone – I think the male took the female’s phone. It appeared that he didn’t want her in the white van."​
Petito's body later was found in Wyoming on Sunday while Brian Laundrie who is a person of interest, remains missing.​

While I understand that some people may be looking for anyone to blame in this young woman's death, they seem to be targeting the wrong agency in my opinion. I don't understand why Laundrie is still being referred to as a person of interest instead of a suspect considering the totality of the "circumstantial" evidence at this point in time.

From what I've heard in the news, by letting him remain a person of interest anyone who assists him in evading the police or leaving the country would be doing so lawfully since he's not as of yet been charged with a crime.

If nothing more, I don't understand why they didn't have him under surveillance between the time Gabby's parents reported her missing on 9/11/21 and the time he disappeared 3 days later on 9/14/2021. They didn't have enough time?

I agree with you.. Laundrie should have been under surveillance.. As for the Moab police, they made an error in judgment.

I agree with you.. Laundrie should have been under surveillance.. As for the Moab police, they made an error in judgment.
I read that a female officer was counseling Gabby and telling her that her relationships had several "toxic" indicators. They made it sound as if she was trying to get her to indicate that she need assistance or protection. I'm sure the officer is heartbroken at this outcome.

as USUAL, the MOAB police handled it very well--perfectly

An arrest warrant has just been issued. He "used a debit card that was not his"

He used the debit card in the middle of that swamp? ;-)
It comes from Wyoming. No doubt Gabby's. I think it's just an excuse to pick him up (as soon as they find him)

This account says credit card. They first mentioned debit card

Last edited:
I think it's just an excuse to pick him up (as soon as they find him)
Well at least now they have legal grounds to go after him on something other than speculation.

Hopefully having obtained that warrant will lead to them being able to make their case against him. I know, "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" however his behavior since Gabby's disappearance is absolutely mind boggling and does nothing to convince anyone that he's innocent, in my opinion.

Do you think he killed her? I sorta
Do. And I think after this media theater bullshit misdirection runs it's course, he'll either be found dead or alive. We'll never know, I guess...

It's a state law that rzr's have flags while out on rides.
Half the ones I saw in Utah said, "F Biden."
LOL

It comes from Wyoming. No doubt Gabby's. I think it's just an excuse to pick him up (as soon as they find him)

This account says credit card. They first mentioned debit card

That last comment in that video, about the FBI not being sure, reminded me of this article.

Such a sad, sad state of affairs. It is stories like this, which make a person realize what is a real story, versus the shit they gas-light us with on a daily basis.

FBI Admits It’s Really Hard To Solve Crime They Didn’t Make Up Themselves
article-9539-1.jpg

"Unfortunately, in rare cases, you see crimes getting committed by someone who isn't even in the FBI. That makes it tough because we don't have their phone number and stuff. We have to track all that down. It's really hard."

With federal crimes not committed by the FBI on the rise, investigators are investing in detective stuff like long trenchcoats and magnifying glasses to help them solve those really difficult cases when they don't already know who did it.

"We may even have to stop committing fake crimes so that we have resources for real ones," said Wray. "I hope that day never comes. Sounds hard."

Is that legal, to stake out someone 24/7 who isn't charged? Maybe they can. I don't know.

People love to point fingers but honestly, no one had a crystal ball and after one hour, can anyone be expected to judge a couple's relationship? The police had nothing but second hand reports from both the 911 caller and Petito and Laundrie after the fact. No injuries. No video, no broken crockery. I don't think what they did was unreasonable at all. It takes women time to get out of an abusive relationship, IF that's what it was. They usually think they deserve it. They were seen in public two weeks later, in Salt Lake City and Jackson, Wyoming, so we know if she wanted to bolt, she could have. It wasn't the cops' fault.

Someone should have been watching the home....I don't care who or which agency but someone should have...all kinds of rules are brushed aside to go after Americans protesting the election but no rule can be eased to watch a probable murderer that may have murdered across state line....come on FBI.....

Someone should have been watching the home....I don't care who or which agency but someone should have...all kinds of rules are brushed aside to go after Americans protesting the election but no rule can be eased to watch a probable murderer that may have murdered across state line....come on FBI.....
I thought it was somewhat baffling that they only designated him as a person of interest. Why was he not a "suspect" right away when he showed up back at his ("their") home, driving her vehicle, without her?

That doesn't make sense to me.

person of interest
Jew. Too much money in the bank and the cops want it all.
"circumstantial" evidence
Circumcised.

What happened? A kiss and a promise, but no sex, no love? Still doesn't mean it was Brian Laundrie. That gal looks like she was getting a little bit too cute on everyone. Was Brian Laundrie the only boyfriend? That gal must have been around the block a few times already by the age Brian Laundrie's mommy would have let him out of his bedroom.

Forum List

Back