Mitch McConnell Warns House Republicans About 'Hammerlock Of Dysfunction'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The Senate GOP leader urged those in the House to ditch a rule he said would make the job of any future speaker “impossible."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has urged House Republicans to ditch a rule that led to the stunning downfall of Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) from the speakership, warning it would make any future speaker’s job “impossible.”

“I have no advice to give to House Republicans, except one: I hope whoever the next speaker is gets rid of the motion to vacate,” McConnell said Wednesday at a weekly press conference.

“To do that job, for anyone, you have to get rid of the motion to vacate because it puts whoever the speaker is in a hammerlock of dysfunction, potential dysfunction,” he added.

The “motion to vacate the chair” is a rarely used procedural tool that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) utilized earlier this week, leading to McCarthy’s ouster as speaker — a first in American history.

McCarthy won the House’s top job in January partly by agreeing to lower the threshold required to set the procedure in motion, a demand of hard-line conservatives. As a result, a single lawmaker could trigger a snap no-confidence vote in his speakership. Ironically, it’s that very same change that led to his undoing on Tuesday.

I detest McConnell, but he's certainly right about the "motion to vacate" that can be triggered by a single lawmaker. What do you think?

The Senate GOP leader urged those in the House to ditch a rule he said would make the job of any future speaker “impossible."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has urged House Republicans to ditch a rule that led to the stunning downfall of Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) from the speakership, warning it would make any future speaker’s job “impossible.”

“I have no advice to give to House Republicans, except one: I hope whoever the next speaker is gets rid of the motion to vacate,” McConnell said Wednesday at a weekly press conference.

“To do that job, for anyone, you have to get rid of the motion to vacate because it puts whoever the speaker is in a hammerlock of dysfunction, potential dysfunction,” he added.

The “motion to vacate the chair” is a rarely used procedural tool that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) utilized earlier this week, leading to McCarthy’s ouster as speaker — a first in American history.

McCarthy won the House’s top job in January partly by agreeing to lower the threshold required to set the procedure in motion, a demand of hard-line conservatives. As a result, a single lawmaker could trigger a snap no-confidence vote in his speakership. Ironically, it’s that very same change that led to his undoing on Tuesday.

I detest McConnell, but he's certainly right about the "motion to vacate" that can be triggered by a single lawmaker. What do you think?
He has had to fend off enough himself and if the Senate had that rule he'd have been 86'd a long time ago.

I agree it's a bad rule and so do many in the House think the same.

Now we know there is a uniparty. Thanks for pointing it out.

1696475494341.png

Ga

Why are you guys so into this? This isn't your fight. Nooo. You're just fine with the corrupt assholes ramrodding your life.

You know that Pelousy would not brook a motion to vacate. She got rid of it. NO ONE was going to put her speakership in jeopardy. You okay with that? changing the rules to protect herself?

From the OP:

Many Republicans are also angry with House Democrats for not throwing McCarthy a lifeline by simply voting “present,” a move that could have lowered the majority threshold for the no-confidence vote and allowed him to survive. McCarthy and his allies had argued that Democrats would preserve the institution of the House by helping avoid an unprecedented ouster and potentially opening the door to a GOP speaker they may like even less.

But Democrats saw no reason to bail out someone who coddled those on the hard right — including Donald Trump mere days after the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection that aimed to keep him in the White House — and empowered the most extreme members of the GOP caucus, while also making no appeals or gestures to Democrats in exchange for their support.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) said he didn’t fault Democrats for not giving McCarthy a helping hand this week.

“Speaker McCarthy made a decision to get as close as he possibly could to the radical wing of his party, and by doing that he made it virtually impossible for the Democrats to come to his aid,” Romney told HuffPost.

I think i see why y'all are putting your noses in this. COULD IT BE that no $$$$ goes to Zelensky while this is up in the air.

romney says he doesn't fault democrats...well hell no he doesn't fault them. I don't think he's met a democrat elite that he wouldn't kiss their ass.

“Speaker McCarthy made a decision to get as close as he possibly could to the radical wing of his party, and by doing that he made it virtually impossible for the Democrats to come to his aid,” Romney told HuffPost.

what a load of bbullshit.

Forum List

Back