Mississippi House passes 'Jesus Take the Wheel Act'

Here's the relevant information from U-haul's FAQ:

Do I need a special driver's license to rent a truck?

No. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver's license.

The driver's license can be one of the following:
- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province
- International or from a foreign country

U-Haul Frequently asked questions Truck rentals

From your link

How many people can ride in your trucks and are car seats safe?

Some of our 10' moving trucks and cargo vans are only equipped with 2 bucket seats. However, most of our equipment will seat 3 passengers with safety restraints. Most of our trucks are equipped with air bags and may not satisfy local requirements for car seats. Young children and those in car seats should not be seated in front seats. For larger families we recommend driving your own vehicle and moving your belongings with U-Box moving containers.

Does Uhaul rent buses?

Still a really dumb argument.

Are all the people at risk INSIDE THE U-HAUL?

The answer is a resounding...wait for it...no.

That U-haul, as Guno put it "is endangering all the lives blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

For 50 years people have been operating these non-commercial large vehicles on a regular license, and no one had a problem with it...

Add a church into the mix "HOLY CRAP"...suddenly it's huge.

Just admit it...if this was the ACLU busing intercity voters to their polling places, suddenly it would be "This is the greatest idea that has ever been seen upon the face of the earth and why didn't they think of this before, cuz they've been renting U-hauls on a regular drivers license for like fifty years"

So please, give it up, you're not fooling anybody.

Exactly how do you think I'm trying to fool anybody?
Some busses and some U-Haul trucks are the same length. However, there are several ways that they are not the same. Busses have been required to have different inspections, equipment, and licenses for ever because length is not the only deciding factor. I understand that you very badly want to be right, but you are not. Repeating the same thing over and over won't change the fact that a bus with 30 passengers is not a U-Haul truck and never will be.

OK. And when one of their drivers with inadaquete experiance takes out a car, I hope it is you.

Driving a church van is no different than you driving a pick up truck or a Lincoln Continental. If a driver of a church van should be required to have a "commercial driver's license" then so should you!
You have a 30 passenger pickup truck?

Sure ... hope in.

You were in Beverley Hillbillys right?

If it allows them to drive a 30 passenger bus, yes, it is differant. I have driven a 32 passenger bus, and it is not at all like driving a large van.

Most drivers of Church vehicles are volunteers and not on a payroll (or they're paid very little). I have a class A, double-triple, tanker, HazMat license and they're not cheap to obtain or maintain.

Does volunteering make the lives of those thirty passengers, or the other traffic on the road less valuable? A van with a couple of extra passengers probably wouldn't be a problem, but a 30 passenger bus requires more documented training even if the driver is an unpaid volunteer.

There are a lot of retired CDL drivers that drive for churches. On a bus health issues for a driver are a big concern. Many drivers give up their CDLs because of diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure and on and on. The experience of a good healthy driver is something that can't be substituted.

Health issues are a big concern for drivers, heavy equipment operators and a host of other professions. They can't take the chance of a medical issue endangering other people. The fact that those other people might be on their way to church doesn't make it any less of a potential problem.

No. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver's license.

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Some of our 10' moving trucks and cargo vans are only equipped with 2 bucket seats. However, most of our equipment will seat 3 passengers with safety restraints. Most of our trucks are equipped with air bags and may not satisfy local requirements for car seats. Young children and those in car seats should not be seated in front seats. For larger families we recommend driving your own vehicle and moving your belongings with U-Box moving containers.

Does Uhaul rent buses?

That U-haul, as Guno put it "is endangering all the lives blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

For 50 years people have been operating these non-commercial large vehicles on a regular license, and no one had a problem with it...

Just admit it...if this was the ACLU busing intercity voters to their polling places, suddenly it would be "This is the greatest idea that has ever been seen upon the face of the earth and why didn't they think of this before, cuz they've been renting U-hauls on a regular drivers license for like fifty years"

Some busses and some U-Haul trucks are the same length. However, there are several ways that they are not the same. Busses have been required to have different inspections, equipment, and licenses for ever because length is not the only deciding factor. I understand that you very badly want to be right, but you are not. Repeating the same thing over and over won't change the fact that a bus with 30 passengers is not a U-Haul truck and never will be.

The 30 passenger bus requires the EXACT same inspection as the 15 passenger bus that they could ALREADY drive without a CDL.

It's the same [insert obsenity of your choice here] thing...only longer.

THE SAME INSPECTION.

No air brakes, no compression braking, no power divider, no tandem axles.

The same bus, only extended.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

The ONLY thing different is the size of the vehicle.

And as I've said three times now, for the last 50 years we've allowed folks to drive vehicles that size WITHOUT a CDL.

Any other arguments you'd like to throw out there and hope they stick?

In defense of Mississippi, which was the original object of ridicule...Blacks constitute about 40% of the population in Mississippi...largest in the nation...and most of the Blacks and most of the Whites in Mississippi...are Christians, black folks and white folks both, mostly Methodists and Baptists...which is likely why they get along with each other better than in most places...like the rotting cities of the North.

So, a law that gives their Churches a little relief from the costly incursions into their lives of the Central Power in Washington....was probably agreed to by almost all Mississippians, and does not indicate ignorance or stupidity....only a peculiar attachment to the Christian morals and Jeffersonian ideals which made this country the greatest society which has so far existed on this planet.

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

The 30 passenger bus requires the EXACT same inspection as the 15 passenger bus that they could ALREADY drive without a CDL.

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

And as I've said three times now, for the last 50 years we've allowed folks to drive vehicles that size WITHOUT a CDL.

I'm just giving my opinion. Looks to me like you need to convince the DOT that the rules that have been in place forever need changing. The only real argument you have presented so far, is that you don't want churches to have to follow the law.

If it allows them to drive a 30 passenger bus, yes, it is differant. I have driven a 32 passenger bus, and it is not at all like driving a large van.

Most drivers of Church vehicles are volunteers and not on a payroll (or they're paid very little). I have a class A, double-triple, tanker, HazMat license and they're not cheap to obtain or maintain.

Does volunteering make the lives of those thirty passengers, or the other traffic on the road less valuable? A van with a couple of extra passengers probably wouldn't be a problem, but a 30 passenger bus requires more documented training even if the driver is an unpaid volunteer.

There are a lot of retired CDL drivers that drive for churches. On a bus health issues for a driver are a big concern. Many drivers give up their CDLs because of diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure and on and on. The experience of a good healthy driver is something that can't be substituted.

Health issues are a big concern for drivers, heavy equipment operators and a host of other professions. They can't take the chance of a medical issue endangering other people. The fact that those other people might be on their way to church doesn't make it any less of a potential problem.

Health is a big concern for operators of commercial vehicles.

You can be the roundest, sickest, highest blood pressure havin'est, oxygen tank under each arm and still climb into this and drive wherever you want with your class D license.

rv_large_rv_509.jpg

You can be the roundest, sickest, highest blood pressure havin'est, oxygen tank under each arm and still climb into this and drive wherever you want with your class D license.

rv_large_rv_509.jpg

Sure......as long as you don't have 30 people stuffed in the back.

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

I'm just giving my opinion. Looks to me like you need to convince the DOT that the rules that have been in place forever need changing. The only real argument you have presented so far, is that you don't want churches to have to follow the law.

The federal DOT only has jurisdiction over vehicles engage in intrastate commerce. The state of Mississippi makes the rules for the Mississippi DOT.

So they ARE following the law.

That one won't stick to the wall either....keep throwing.

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

The federal DOT only has jurisdiction over vehicles engage in intrastate commerce. The state of Mississippi makes the rules for the Mississippi DOT.

So that one won't stick either.

OK... It's still a dumb law. I thought the right was opposed to Sharia like laws that gave preference to religions.

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

OK... It's still a dumb law. I thought the right was opposed to Sharia like laws that gave preference to religions.

I don't think it's dumb, for the reasons I mentioned. I do agree that if it only applies to churches (or religious institutions) that is wrong...it should extend to any not-for-profit, non-commercial, privately owned mini-buses.

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

I can own a semi and drive it for my own personal use, for someone else, it's a different story. The is the difference between driving a 45 ft motor home and a 45 ft motor coach. If it is for commercial use, you need a Commercial Drivers License.

If you are a church, and you are using a vehicle that can haul more than 16 people it is considered commercial use. You need a commercial license.

rv_large_rv_509.jpg

LOL. Ain't that the truth!!!

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

I can own a semi and drive it for my own personal use, for someone else, it's a different story. The is the difference between driving a 45 ft motor home and a 45 ft motor coach. If it is for commercial use, you need a Commercial Drivers License.

If you are a church, and you are using a vehicle that can haul more than 16 people it is considered commercial use. You need a commercial license.

Well ... since a church isn't a business then driving a church bus isn't for commercial use. End of story!

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

I don't think it's dumb, for the reasons I mentioned. I do agree that if it only applies to churches (or religious institutions) that is wrong...it should extend to any not-for-profit, non-commercial, privately owned mini-buses.

It doesn't

- Military
- One of the 50 states
- District of Columbia
- Canadian Province

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

Three things Pap.

1) The Personal Semi: That depends on where you live, where you are driving and what you mean by "Semi". In most states you must have at least a class B license air-brakes endorsement to drive a vehicle like a semi tractor alone...or a Class A (air brakes is included in all class A licenses) to operate a combination vehicle with a GVW over 26,000 pounds.

2) Interstate DOT regulation are set by the state, intrastate regulations are set by the feds via the USDOT. The state determines it's own laws and regulations...if they choose to exempt a class of vehicle, that is a power reserved to them.

3) A church bus is not a commercial vehicle. they aren't charging a fee. Slap "not for hire" on the door, just like private horse hauling rigs.

From your link

Does Uhaul rent buses?

THE SAME INSPECTION.

Look.

15 passenger bus:

634375152715161424.png

30 passenger bus:

7.jpg

Three things Pap.

1) The Personal Semi: That depends on where you live, where you are driving and what you mean by "Semi". In most states you must have at least a class B license air-brakes endorsement to drive a vehicle like a semi tractor alone...or a Class A (air brakes is included in all class A licenses) to operate a combination vehicle with a GVW over 26,000 pounds.

2) Interstate DOT regulation are set by the state, intrastate regulations are set by the feds via the USDOT. The state determines it's own laws and regulations...if they choose to exempt a class of vehicle, that is a power reserved to them.

3) A church bus is not a commercial vehicle. they aren't charging a fee. Slap "not for hire" on the door, just like private horse hauling rigs.

Just like school buses, they are commercial use. Just like casino buses, many are free, however they are for commercial use. They have every right to waive the regulation, however they are for commercial use. If they cross a state line,mother are subject to US DOT.

On the semis, do you need a CDL or just the endorsement?

Just like school buses, they are commercial use. Just like casino buses, many are free, however they are for commercial use. They have every right to waive the regulation, however they are for commercial use. If they cross a state line,mother are subject to US DOT.

On the semis, do you need a CDL or just the endorsement?

In my state, air brakes is only offered with a class A & B license...and I'm pretty sure that is nationally standardized. Technically it is a restriction rather than an endorsement. IOW there is a class B and a class B minus air brakes as opposed to a class B and a class B plus air brakes. Hope that makes sense.

OK. And when one of their drivers with inadaquete experiance takes out a car, I hope it is you.

When will you begin pushing for requiring motorhome drivers to have CDL's?

Having driven these types of buses...they're not that big a deal. Yeah, most REALLY ARE like driving a big van. (Most are built on van chassis.) Also note that if they didn't have all the seats, you could drive one the day after passing your road test in a Civic!

Note that no special licence whatsoever is required to drive this:
truck.png

Also note: that truck is much larger than a 30-pax bus, and more than likely has full air brakes besides!

Forum List

Back