Mission Creep Timeline of the U.S. War in Syria

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Enjoyed this read over coffee this morning.

Obama is over his head and needs to start listening to military commanders

-Geaux
----------------------------------------
Snip-

Mission creep has occurred because Obama, as I have written repeatedly, continues to pursue a strategic objective that is totally unachievable. The United States and the other 61 members of the “coalition,” either solely or in combination with Iraqi and Syrian ground forces, simply will not commit the degree of military power needed to ensure that Assad falls or the Islamic State is destroyed. This is even more so given the Russian intervention and the reported significant deployment of Iranian ground forces or Iranian-sponsored militias. On Oct. 2, Obama pledged, “When I make a decision about the level of military involvement that we’re prepared to engage in, in Syria, I have to make a judgment based on, once we start something we’ve got to finish it, and we’ve got to do it well.” Unfortunately, he already made this misjudgment in September 2014 when he declared the wholly unrealistic strategy to degrade and ultimately destroy the Islamic State.

http://news.yahoo.com/official-mission-creep-timeline-u-212637511.html

I read that article by Ziggy that this piece references.

Russia must work with, not against, America in Syria
Zbigniew Brzezinski
Russia must work with, not against, America in Syria - FT.com

In either case, the future of the region, and American credibility among the states of the Middle East, are both at stake. In these rapidly unfolding circumstances the US has only one real option if it is to protect its wider stakes in the region: to convey to Moscow the demand that it cease and desist from military actions that directly affect American assets. Russia has every right to support Mr Assad, if it so wishes — but any repetition of what has just transpired should prompt US retaliation.

The Russian naval and air presences in Syria are vulnerable, isolated geographically from their homeland. They could be “disarmed” if they persist in provoking the US. But, better still, Russia might be persuaded to act with the US in seeking a wider accommodation to a regional problem that transcends the interests of a single state.

I'd love to read that original Foreign Policy article.

They should work together but they wont. They each have their own prerogative.

Forum List

Back