Military Mauser Converted Into A Sporting Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My local pawn shop had a Argentine M1909 that had been sporterized but they did not know what caliber it was.

It was well done in a 50s/60s type of way so I took it home for $200.00.

09 002 (2).JPG

09 003 (2).JPG

I got it home, pulled the action and .308 Win. was stamp on the bottom of the barrel. I went ahead and did a chamber cast anyway and yep, .308.....I have a few 7.62 NATO dummy rounds and they fed just fine. The bore is great.

It had a old 10X Valor (Japan) scope on it mounted in redfield rings/base so I exchanged it for a 2 X 7 Redfield I had.

I also noticed that it had a Timney trigger and a Buehler safety. The barrel was 18.50" and free-floated, and it was in a Reinhart Fagan walnut stock.

It's pretty typical of the gunsmith conversions done back in the day other than the barrel length.....Someone was ahead of their time.

The German made (DWM) M1909 actions/trigger-guards were very popular to build on back then (and now) as they are regarded as the "Cadillac of Mausers"......It's part of the reason uncut M1909s are sorta hard to find.

This rifle started life as a DWM M1909 Engineer's Carbine made in 1912.

I would have preferred a nice oil finish been left on the stock but back then True-Oil was the thing.....You can tell it a mile away by the way it yellows with age.

My local pawn shop had a Argentine M1909 that had been sporterized but they did not know what caliber it was.

It was well done in a 50s/60s type of way so I took it home for $200.00.

View attachment 708100

View attachment 708101

I got it home, pulled the action and .308 Win. was stamp on the bottom of the barrel. I went ahead and did a chamber cast anyway and yep, .308.....I have a few 7.62 NATO dummy rounds and they fed just fine. The bore is great.

It had a old 10X Valor (Japan) scope on it mounted in redfield rings/base so I exchanged it for a 2 X 7 Redfield I had.

I also noticed that it had a Timney trigger and a Buehler safety. The barrel was 18.50" and free-floated, and it was in a Reinhart Fagan walnut stock.

It's pretty typical of the gunsmith conversions done back in the day other than the barrel length.....Someone was ahead of their time.

The German made (DWM) M1909 actions/trigger-guards were very popular to build on back then (and now) as they are regarded as the "Cadillac of Mausers"......It's part of the reason uncut M1909s are sorta hard to find.

This rifle started life as a DWM M1909 Engineer's Carbine made in 1912.

I would have preferred a nice oil finish been left on the stock but back then True-Oil was the thing.....You can tell it a mile away by the way it yellows with age.
That is well done........ I'll give ya $100 for it........ :p

Forum List

Back