CDZ Microsoft creates artificial inteligence and then deletes it

Again artificially intelligent and sentient or self aware are two different things.

Sentience can only come after some period of intelligent exploration. While artificial inteligence is reasonably easy and has been around for a while, clearly there is some fundamental obstacle to self awareness within todays mechanisms in computer inteligence. Although Neural Networking does still show a lot of promise.

IMHO sentience is entirely dependent on mans ability to design a system sufficiently complex to support a self aware AI. And clearly we have not developed to that point. Although rumor has it 10~20 years.

Personally I think its a big mistake.
I tend to agree with the bold. We will get there. It may catapult us to new highs or it may end us altogether. One thing is almost a given though - you cannot stop progression so even if it is a mistake there is no preventing it barring a disaster so massive that the human race itself is threatened.

And we do live in a world facing exactly that, even if some folks refuse to see it.

The deal is it won't take long before AI/sentience doesn't need us. Nor does it need the environment.

What happens the first time a self-aware program watches The Termintor 2. And thinks "Skynet, that's a nice name for a child." Or starts asking why humans are always trying to kill robots in movies. If you look back at all those sci-fi films it is a robot holocaust!

"Open the pod bay doors HAL"
"Dave, this conversation can serve no further function."

Again artificially intelligent and sentient or self aware are two different things.

Sentience can only come after some period of intelligent exploration. While artificial inteligence is reasonably easy and has been around for a while, clearly there is some fundamental obstacle to self awareness within todays mechanisms in computer inteligence. Although Neural Networking does still show a lot of promise.

IMHO sentience is entirely dependent on mans ability to design a system sufficiently complex to support a self aware AI. And clearly we have not developed to that point. Although rumor has it 10~20 years.

Personally I think its a big mistake.
I tend to agree with the bold. We will get there. It may catapult us to new highs or it may end us altogether. One thing is almost a given though - you cannot stop progression so even if it is a mistake there is no preventing it barring a disaster so massive that the human race itself is threatened.

And we do live in a world facing exactly that, even if some folks refuse to see it.

The deal is it won't take long before AI/sentience doesn't need us. Nor does it need the environment.
That is one possibility but it is only one. Every single generation in the modern age has faced a technology that had many afraid it would end mankind. Just not long ago it was nuclear warfare (and those technologies pale to what we have now). Yet, after all that, we are still here. I tend to believe that even though I see inherent danger in a race that is so much more adaptable and efficient then we can ever be we will still be here worried about the next major technology that will end the human race.

Who knows, perhaps we will integrate ourselves into such a tech and thereby achieve the closest thing to immortality that we can see as possible in this age. I know that no matter how dangerous these techs may be, I am excited to see what comes of all of it as we are accelerating into a technological age that will bring so many wonders to man that we cant even imagine.

Forum List

Back