Message To NY City Cops

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Link sent to Dante by the FAMILY of a NYPD Officer: Message To NY City Cops

I used to live on E. 3rd St. in Manhattan, across from the Men’s Shelter. It could get pretty stinky but I was fond of a lot of these guys.

Tommy the Jacket Head, who wore a jacket over his head and walked in circles mumbling to himself and then blurting out things that could have come from Stephen Hawking or Søren Kierkegaard. There was an enormously fat guy who would blurt out "Armageddon! Armageddon! Hoom!” every 10 minutes or so, but otherwise...​

One night at about 3 a.m., I heard something going on outside and stood up on my window ledge to see what was happening. There was a cop, by himself, in a precarious situation.

A guy with a metal pipe over his head was standing in front of the cop. Two other guys were behind the cop and seemed ready to attack. An old bum was lying on the pavement and appeared to have been knocked unconscious by the other three.

The cop was white and everyone else was black. I am not sure that that matters but there you are.

Now if I had been the cop and had a gun, I cannot imagine that I would not have shot the guy with the pipe.

But he didn’t.

The cop managed to disarm the guy with the pipe by rushing him and pulling his arm over his shoulder, then handcuffing him almost all in one motion. Then he took out his gun and told the other two to get lost.

It was so insanely brave, that when I got down off of the window sill, I was on the verge of tears.

One cannot expect anyone to act as heroically as this man had — alone, in the middle of the night, with no one to see, no cameras, on a block most officers didn’t dare to go on — risking his life to not take another’s.

If you joined the force to carry a gun and hang with your buddies, crack nasty jokes and bully kids who hang out at the convenience store until they feel like they have no other recourse than to fight back because these things inexplicably make you feel more manly or powerful, if you band together to turn your back on someone speaking at a funeral, then you are an embarrassment.

Simple as that — you are an embarrassment.

But if you, in any small way, aspire to be this cop on 3rd St., 35 years ago — then, I’ve got your back. In any way in my power, I’ve got your back.

If you show this kind of integrity and courage, I dare say the whole city will have your back.

Lurie is an American musician, painter, actor, director and producer.
John Lurie A New Yorker s message to the cops - NY Daily News

Last edited:
35 years ago the police had standards of height and weight. A cop would be big and burly enough to do that.

Gawd, reading a liberal spew is like reading something from a kid in grade school. And they can't just write one paragraph to say she thinks the cops are embarrassing. they have to write a frikken book before they get to the POINT...... that author should look a mirror she want's to see an, embarrassment

At least the author was able to properly use apostrophes. And, having read the article, the author was drawing a line between cops who function in unsung and heroic ways, and cops who join a force because they have issues with needing to be in control.

It's a legit point, but you have to be semi-literate to grasp it.

Gawd, reading a liberal spew is like reading something from a kid in grade school. And they can't just write one paragraph to say she thinks the cops are embarrassing. they have to write a frikken book before they get to the POINT...... that author should look a mirror she want's to see an, embarrassment
Author's name is John Lurie. He never says the cops are embarrassing. He says certain cops are embarrassing. He supports the NYPD, but tells them turning their backs on people at memorial services is as childish as your posts.

You commented and had so many facts wrong. par for the course Stephanie Link sent to Dante by the FAMILY of a NYPD Officer: Message To NY City Cops

Last edited:
Eric Garner wasn't shot, he was choked to death. Perhaps big and burly is part of the problem.

What some people really don't get is that while they are situations that are as clear as day that yes force is needed, there are others that aren't clear.

In Alabama, two protestors were sitting in front of their cars and six officers again had to take him down and taze him even though he wasn't being violent at all towards them. That's not okay.

Yet, the justice system gives cops a complete pass on everything they do and cops know it. That's the problem.

Alabama Cops Taser Man Arrest Witness Recording Tasering

At least the author was able to properly use apostrophes. And, having read the article, the author was drawing a line between cops who function in unsung and heroic ways, and cops who join a force because they have issues with needing to be in control.

It's a legit point, but you have to be semi-literate to grasp it.

Do all you snobs flock together so you can all be an ass? you got atta boys for being one too. amazing. people like you are a dime a dozen on this board

35 years ago the police had standards of height and weight. A cop would be big and burly enough to do that.
Thirty five years ago street cops would retire after twenty or thirty years of patrol service and brag about never having to pull their guns in the line of duty; obviously, you can't prohibit half of humanity from police work if you expect to find enough qualified recruits; however, elimination size and gender requirements forced a rethinking of how street cops enforce command presence. Maybe another generation or two will solve the problem?

Thirty five years ago street cops would retire after twenty or thirty years of patrol service and brag about never having to pull their guns in the line of duty; obviously, you can't prohibit half of humanity from police work if you expect to find enough qualified recruits; however, elimination size and gender requirements forced a rethinking of how street cops enforce command presence. Maybe another generation or two will solve the problem?

Well it looks the gangs, the thugs and the criminals have gotten MORE violent over 35 years. You don't like them don't ever call for their service. simple

Well it looks the gangs, the thugs and the criminals have gotten MORE violent over 35 years. You don't like them don't ever call for their service. simple
stop being an apologist for bad cops who make all good cops look bad.

people like you need to stop and look in the mirror

Forum List

Back