Merlin1047 in the Hospital

Big M.
You've already received the best wishes and prayers from everyone on the board. So instead of repeating the obvious, I will remind you that I offered to buy you a beer once. In order to do that you must be fit for duty. Hang in there bud. Any thing at all, just PM.

Phil
aka Top
or Asshole
or the dinosaur
or Worlds greatest dad who knows and sees all. (well not really but I can fake it well)

My wife and I send good thoughts during meditation, I hope you will be well soon.

This past month has been hard on my wife and I, her father was diagnosed with a particularly nasty case of Prostate Cancer one of the more malignant forms (he is getting the X-Ray treatment).

And then about two weeks after that my step-father was diagnosed with Lung Cancer (and no, he has never smoked), the only treatment for him is to have the lung removed. He will be going in for a full body scan to see if the cancer has metastasized anywhere before they can remove the lung. However his pulmonary process was only at 50% while in the hospital and they must raise that as well before he can get surgery...

I beat cancer once, at 15. All you have to do is get it to go on the defensive, then smash it with everything you got. And hey, after you hit remission, the American Cancer Society invites you to a banquet every year and gives you a parking tag for the Relay for Life.

archangel said:
Even thou you banned me for 24hrs in the past...I still pray and wish you the best...I beat skin cancer...and a parapalegic condition...so can you... all ya need is faith and the determination to beat the odds...best and God Bless!

:banned: Cancer that is!

LOL - even though it has been barely over two weeks since I was diagnosed, one thing this ordeal has done for me is cause me to question and to re-order my priorities. All of a sudden things that used to be important fall by the wayside and things that we take for granted become precious.

So thanks for the support and let's forget about the rest. :)

fuzzykitten99 said:
Ah, Merlin, you'll kick the leukemia's ass! Sounds like the doctors are watching for secondary health issues like common colds, flu, etc, not just cancer issues.

I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to reiterate to you that if you experience any symptoms outside what you have been told to expect, call your doctor. Make sure they do ALL tests possible and such.

I watched my grandmother (who raised me) fight for 2 years with leukemia. She had retired only 3 months before she was diagnosed. Unfortunately, she came down with tuberculosis, and could not fight it off. She would have if she would not have been on an HMO program because they refused to pay for the test, as the condition mimicked that of severe bronchitis, and TB is very rare etc,

I'm pretty paranoid about the secondary infection issue. If anyone comes into the house, they wear a mask and the wife Lysols the place down after they depart.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like she was a victim of a medical practice run by accountants instead of doctors. It's tough to know when the medical establishment is treating the patient and when they're just seeing how good your health insurance is. It sure helps to have someone looking out for you during the process.

Hobbit said:
I beat cancer once, at 15. All you have to do is get it to go on the defensive, then smash it with everything you got. And hey, after you hit remission, the American Cancer Society invites you to a banquet every year and gives you a parking tag for the Relay for Life.

It helps to hear some positive news about others who have beaten cancer. And I'm looking forward to attending the rubber chicken dinner. But I'm not running in any damn race.

no1tovote4 said:
My wife and I send good thoughts during meditation, I hope you will be well soon.

This past month has been hard on my wife and I, her father was diagnosed with a particularly nasty case of Prostate Cancer one of the more malignant forms (he is getting the X-Ray treatment).

And then about two weeks after that my step-father was diagnosed with Lung Cancer (and no, he has never smoked), the only treatment for him is to have the lung removed. He will be going in for a full body scan to see if the cancer has metastasized anywhere before they can remove the lung. However his pulmonary process was only at 50% while in the hospital and they must raise that as well before he can get surgery...

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll keep your folks in my prayers.

When something like this hits, the first question I asked myself is "why?" What did I do to cause this? Well, there may never be an answer to that. I smoked two packs a day. Finally quit the habit in 1978, but the damage could have been done. You wonder about all the chemicals in our foods, all the artificial sweeteners, all the chicken and beef raised on steroids. On top of that, I was one of tens of thousands exposed to agent organge back in that garden spot of southeast Asia.

But I don't suppose that the "why" is all that important. It's "where do we go from here?" that I intend to concentrate on. One day at a time, good days, bad days. Whatever comes, comes. Either I'll beat this or not. If not, it won't be because I gave up trying. That's the only worthwhile thing I can pass on to you at this point in regard to the ordeal which faces your father in law and stepfather. That, and the fact that the active support of family and friends is not only a comfort, but another weapon in the fight against the disease.

pegwinn said:
Big M.
You've already received the best wishes and prayers from everyone on the board. So instead of repeating the obvious, I will remind you that I offered to buy you a beer once. In order to do that you must be fit for duty. Hang in there bud. Any thing at all, just PM.

Thanks. Hopefully about 7 to 8 months from now we'll be able to discuss that beer thing.

I'm looking forward to it.

Merlin1047 said:
When something like this hits, the first question I asked myself is "why?" What did I do to cause this?
Without getting into any kind of argument, or religious debate, this doesn't work. It will make you crazy. (in your case....crazier) If the answer isn't obvious......maybe there isn't one...other than that's just the way it is.

Joz said:
Without getting into any kind of argument, or religious debate, this doesn't work. It will make you crazy. (in your case....crazier) If the answer isn't obvious......maybe there isn't one...other than that's just the way it is.

I agree. I'm no longer worrying about the why's and wherefore's. The disease chose me for some unknown reason and that's that. Now we just have to deal with it and concentrate on a recovery.

:)

Hi, buddy! It's good to have you back on the board again. Your wit and wisdom have been sorely missed. Spiritually, you seem strong as an ox - like always. I believe you can beat anything. Hang in there, and just keep laughing at this crazy world - we DESERVE it!

Merlin1047 said:
I agree. I'm no longer worrying about the why's and wherefore's. The disease chose me for some unknown reason and that's that. Now we just have to deal with it and concentrate on a recovery.

:)
I've missed ya and am looking foreward to your complete recovery. I may not agree with all your posts but they are clear, well written, and you are able to oppose without debasing. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

musicman said:
Hi, buddy! It's good to have you back on the board again. Your wit and wisdom have been sorely missed. Spiritually, you seem strong as an ox - like always. I believe you can beat anything. Hang in there, and just keep laughing at this crazy world - we DESERVE it!

Thanks MM. Rita & I are coping. Now and then it gets a little depressing, but we have lots of support from friends and family and that helps a lot.

dilloduck said:
I've missed ya and am looking foreward to your complete recovery. I may not agree with all your posts but they are clear, well written, and you are able to oppose without debasing. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Hi DD

Glad to be back. I'll keep you all posted on how things are coming along.

Hey Merlin....sorry to hear of the diagnosis...glad to hear the treatment has started, and wish you the best!

(Please drop me a PM, if there is anything I can do for you or your family)

Merlin1047 said:
I'm pretty paranoid about the secondary infection issue. If anyone comes into the house, they wear a mask and the wife Lysols the place down after they depart.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sounds like she was a victim of a medical practice run by accountants instead of doctors. It's tough to know when the medical establishment is treating the patient and when they're just seeing how good your health insurance is. It sure helps to have someone looking out for you during the process.

good, be paranoid---this type of paranoia could save your life.

My grandma getting sick, helped me grow up a little. I got a job to buy my own school stuff, fun stuff, and learned about paying bills and running a house, all at about 15. My aund and uncle and my dad (as well as other family) all helped, but because I lived with her, I was primarily the one paying bills for her when she was in the hospital every couple weeks (she would set out pre-signed checks for me), going grocery shopping, doing basic yard work, all while still going to school and even participating in marching band, the high school plays, and working.

I learned a lot from her, and from the whole experience. I learned to not take people and money, and life in general, for granted. I live life to the moment, and try not to plan too much in advance because it takes the spontanaity (sp?) out of life. I treasure every moment I have with my son and my husband. I learned financial responsibility and good planning, as well as how to save money in unexpected places.

Well Merlin1047... DAMN IT! If I had to pick a board's top orator, it'd be YOU! Hearing this latest of your condition saddens my heart. My prayers are with you brother.

Attitude can play almost as significant of a role in ones health as the medicine. With that in mind, I expect you to whip the snot out of this luke-whatever stuff... :)

Welcome back, yo! :thup:

Take it easy. Having watched my sister go through 2 years of chemo, I know you'll have good days and bad days. Hang in there.

Mr. P said:
Okay folks...I know some of you are aware of this, but most probably aren't.

After some hesitation and since no one else posted, I decided to...

Merlin1047 checked into the Hospital this a.m. for one week of chemo treatment, for leukemia.
He tells me he doesn't mind the board knowing, but doesn't want to seem as though
he's seeking pity, so he hasn't mentioned it...I understand that....BUT, we all are sort of family so....

Join me please, in best wishes and prayers for his recovery.

Mr. P

Oh my god! Of course I will pray for him and his family. Im glad you let us know.

Forum List

Back