CDZ Men and Women (Differences)

e he's the ONE GUY that knows!
I get tired of hearing about the differences between men and women.
Do you think women have core similarities that are consistent in all women? What about men?

I get tired of hearing about how all women like shoes. I don't.
I get tired of hearing how emotional women ar. I'm not.
I get tired of hearing about how women always want to talk about their feelings. I don't.

You? What about men?
There are some real differences in men and women. Our actions are dictated by instinct caused by the secretions of chemicals in our brains. Men and women have different levels of these chemicals and for the most part their brains are wired differently. I personally think women are quicker in processing thought and at the same time more emotional due to the suplus of hormones. Just found this interesting article.

How Men s Brains Are Wired Differently than Women s - Scientific American
When speaking of instinct, I think it's hard to differentiate between behavior that is purely genetic and behavior that is learned. As children we learn to behave as other expect us to behave. Today there is far less expectations along those lines.

What is genetic about behavior? Behavior is learned not inherited.
Actually there is learned and unlearned behavior. In lower animals there are many examples. In humans it's been difficult to isolated learned from unlearned behavior. A human child is drawn to a parent or surrogate parent for warmth an substance. This is unlearned behavior.

Do you think women have core similarities that are consistent in all women? What about men?

I get tired of hearing about how women always want to talk about their feelings. I don't.

You? What about men?
There are some real differences in men and women. Our actions are dictated by instinct caused by the secretions of chemicals in our brains. Men and women have different levels of these chemicals and for the most part their brains are wired differently. I personally think women are quicker in processing thought and at the same time more emotional due to the suplus of hormones. Just found this interesting article.

When speaking of instinct, I think it's hard to differentiate between behavior that is purely genetic and behavior that is learned. As children we learn to behave as other expect us to behave. Today there is far less expectations along those lines.

Actually there is learned and unlearned behavior. In lower animals there are many examples. In humans it's been difficult to isolated learned from unlearned behavior. A human child is drawn to a parent or surrogate parent for warmth an substance. This is unlearned behavior.
One of my daughters has the exact same physical reactions I do in basketball. Its weird.

You? What about men?

Actually there is learned and unlearned behavior. In lower animals there are many examples. In humans it's been difficult to isolated learned from unlearned behavior. A human child is drawn to a parent or surrogate parent for warmth an substance plus a number behaviors that we regard as reflexes. These are unlearned behavior.

I do believe there are subtle differences between men and women that are simply interesting, and more significant differences between most with allowances made for exceptions.

Most of the world's most famous chefs are men, but there are fantastic female chefs. There are also men who instinctively know how to put a meal together to please all the people who will attend a dinner, but women will more often have the empathetic sense to accomplish that.

A new study published in National Geographic found:
"Females are better at discriminating among colors, researchers say, while males excel at tracking fast-moving objects and discerning detail from a distanceevolutionary adaptations possibly linked to our hunter-gatherer past."
Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently

And as for all behavior being 'learned behavior', I teach an adaptation of a Myers-Briggs kind of temperament typing. Certainly we learn much by observing, hearing, doing, reading. But some components of how we react or relate to various things are also hardwired into us at birth. This explains how you can have so many different kinds of personalities within a single family or among groups who grow to adulthood pretty much isolated from most outside influences.

And I am convinced that most men and women are also hardwired in different ways--not that one is superior to the other, but most will have different inate strengths and abilities.

You? What about men?

Sure, but there is no doubt there are differences in our chemistry makeup and that accounts for a lot of things. In men, testosterone levels are going to be higher (in normal circumstances). Because of this, men/boys are going to tend to be more aggressive and drawn to more aggressive type of activities, like sports. Women have higher amounts of estrogen which makes us more likely to exhibit more nurturing and more gentle behavior. Our differences serve a purpose. They are not just social constructs. They are also instinctual. We just happen to live in a society where gender roles are not as important as they once were, but we still have those instincts and things we are naturally normally drawn to, and that won't change.

You? What about men?

Women get tired more easily than men. ;)

You? What about men?

Women get tired more easily than men. ;)
That's a put on..

Sometimes it is really subtle things that are tell tale about the inate differences. Watching my son and daughter and also my nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews play with toy cars. . .without exception all the little boys made motor noises playing with those cars, and without exception not one of the little girls made motor noises playing with those cars. That is not learned behavior. It is just something hardwired into the circuitry. Important? Not at all. But it should inform us that God made men and women as different beings.

And probably the men were given the greater size, strength, speed, etc. because they would naturally be the hunters, gatherers, providers, protectors. And the women were given their own special kinds of stamina and abilities because they would bear the children and be the primary nurturers of those children and their community as well as making a home and being the heart of it. Does that mean men cannot be nurturers and/or homemakers or that women cannot be providers? Of course not. But there is a kind of natural rhythm in it all and I think we try to alter it at our peril.

I like what Foxfyre says. However, there is room for alterations in society. Our First Peoples made it so for the Backwards People, for example. And technology irrevocably blurs labor division that once clear differentiated the sexes.

You? What about men?

Sure, but there is no doubt there are differences in our chemistry makeup and that accounts for a lot of things. In men, testosterone levels are going to be higher (in normal circumstances). Because of this, men/boys are going to tend to be more aggressive and drawn to more aggressive type of activities, like sports. Women have higher amounts of estrogen which makes us more likely to exhibit more nurturing and more gentle behavior. Our differences serve a purpose. They are not just social constructs. They are also instinctual. We just happen to live in a society where gender roles are not as important as they once were, but we still have those instincts and things we are naturally normally drawn to, and that won't change.
I agree, there are certainly biological and chemical differences such as testosterone and estrogen that effects our behavior. However, the degree of those difference varies greatly from one person to another.

For researchers, it's difficult to determine how much of our behavior is determined by nature versus nurture. Unlike lab animals, we can't isolate humans and control the variables. Thus, so much of the research is far from being conclusive.

I agree, there are certainly biological and chemical differences such as testosterone and estrogen that effects our behavior. However, the degree of those difference varies greatly from one person to another.

For researchers, it's difficult to determine how much of our behavior is determined by nature versus nurture. Unlike lab animals, we can't isolate humans and control the variables. Thus, so much of the research is far from being conclusive.

I'm way to different than most women for me to believe in any generalizations or rules.

Either I'm just a freak of nature, or most women are just not willing to admit to things I admit to.

I saw a show once about a girl who had some chemical imbalance in which she had more testosterone than normal. There's a name for it too, but I can't remember. Anyway, she apparently became very aggressive around the time of her puberty and also became violent. It was probably almost like being on steroids all the time for her, from what I could gather. Another girl/woman who suffered from the same disorder actually killed a person in a violent rage. Apparently, this is a fairly newly discovered disorder because nobody knew at first what was wrong with these girls. I guess it was assumed that they suffered from some mental disorder.

Here is the case I was talking about. I saw a documentary about this case.

Woman who killed sister found dead in cell

Sometimes it is really subtle things that are tell tale about the inate differences. Watching my son and daughter and also my nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews play with toy cars. . .without exception all the little boys made motor noises playing with those cars, and without exception not one of the little girls made motor noises playing with those cars. That is not learned behavior. It is just something hardwired into the circuitry. Important? Not at all. But it should inform us that God made men and women as different beings.

And probably the men were given the greater size, strength, speed, etc. because they would naturally be the hunters, gatherers, providers, protectors. And the women were given their own special kinds of stamina and abilities because they would bear the children and be the primary nurturers of those children and their community as well as making a home and being the heart of it. Does that mean men cannot be nurturers and/or homemakers or that women cannot be providers? Of course not. But there is a kind of natural rhythm in it all and I think we try to alter it at our peril.
In the early history of the human race, the fact that women bore the children meant that they were less able to hunt and protect the family for months before and after childbirth. The natural consequence was that men became the hunters and protectors and women became homemakers and raised the children.

Today, those role models don't work for most families. Men take a larger role in child rearing and homemaking and women take a bigger role in providing for the family and in many cases the roles are reversed.

In the early history of the human race, the fact that women bore the children meant that they were less able to hunt and protect the family for months before and after childbirth. The natural consequence was that men became the hunters and protectors and women became homemakers and raised the children.

Today, those role models don't work for most families. Men take a larger role in child rearing and homemaking and women take a bigger role in providing for the family and in many cases the roles are reversed.

I always allow for the exceptions. I myself took a bit of time off to have my children, but for the most part I have been gainfully employed for wages since I was 14 and have been what would probably be defined as a 'career woman' since my 20's. I have been manager, CEO, and business owner. I have taught business and management courses and feel I am most definitely not a 'house wife'.

My husband of many decades is his own kind of professional success but has worked side by side with me all this time and can do most of the household chores as well as I have and he even served as a house husband for awhile.

And in spite of all that, there is a part of me that accepts the responsibility and uses the aptitude to make our house into a home and who initiates the responsibility for making sure each of our guests are accommodated and made comfortable--I think of these things automatically in a way that very few men do. At the same time, my husband automatically knows how to deal with certain issues and problems effortlessly when the same tend to be stressful for me.

Overlapping roles, definitely. But differences in who we are as man and woman? I clearly see, acknowledge, and appreciate that.

Here is the case I was talking about. I saw a documentary about this case.

Woman who killed sister found dead in cell
It's amazing how many violent acts such as this could have been prevented if the perpetrator had just taken their meds.

Forum List

Back