Meet a man who has lived alone on an island for 32 years.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Mauro Morandi found serenity in solitude decades on Italy’s Budelli island. He now has to leave.

Mauro Morandi has lived alone on Italy’s Budelli Island for 31 years. “What I love the most is the silence,” he says. “The silence in winter when there isn’t a storm and no one is around, but also the summer silence of sunset.”

• Banned
^ More than a year ago, when the world responded to isolation orders to prevent the spread of coronavirus, Mauro Morandi stayed put. He had no reason to move because he has spent the past three decades in isolation by choice.

In 1989, Morandi’s catamaran—engine crippled and anchor adrift—washed up on the coast of Budelli Island, located on a stretch of water between Sardinia and Corsica. As luck would have it, Morandi learned that the island’s caretaker was retiring from his post, so he sold his boat and assumed a new role.

Thirty-two years later, Morandi, known as Italy’s Robinson Crusoe, was the sole resident and guardian of the island. Now, after decades of protecting one of Italy’s most beautiful islands, Mauro Morandi has surrendered his post, responding to years of pressure from authorities who have asked him to leave.

• Banned
^ Morandi said that teaching people how to see beauty will save the world from exploitation. “I would like people to understand that we must try not to look at beauty, but feel beauty with our eyes closed,” he says.
Winters on Budelli are both beautiful and lonely. Morandi endured long stretches of time—upwards of 20 days—without any human contact. He found solace in the introspection it affords him, and often sits on the beach with nothing but the sounds of the wind and waves to punctuate the silence.
“I’m sort of in prison here,” he says. “But it’s a prison that I chose for myself”.

• Banned
Mauro Morandi has lived alone on Italy’s Budelli Island for 31 years.
You're saying he lived alone, as a single man, on an Italian island? I just don't quite believe that.

I’m not saying it. The article does.

If he was a caretaker, he would have met government officials from time to time.

What I took from it, was learning to live with solitude.

You obviously didn’t.

• Banned
Mauro Morandi found serenity in solitude decades on Italy’s Budelli island. He now has to leave.

Mauro Morandi has lived alone on Italy’s Budelli Island for 31 years. “What I love the most is the silence,” he says. “The silence in winter when there isn’t a storm and no one is around, but also the summer silence of sunset.”

Would have liked to have read that, but, I don't bother with anything that requires me to "SIGN UP" to read it.

Would have liked to have read that, but, I don't bother with anything that requires me to "SIGN UP" to read it.

I didn’t have to sign up to read it.

Well that's what it wants me to do. Scroll down so far, page locks up with a notice...

sign-up.jpg

Well that's what it wants me to do. Scroll down so far, page locks up with a notice...

sign-up.jpg

I’m in a different country to you.

I don't blame Mario, people are more aggressive than usual including a certain probate lawyer.

Authorities report finding a horribly abused volleyball on the beach.

Forum List

Back