Medicare Advantage Is A Massive Scam: The Program Rips Off The Tax Payers And It's Own Enrollees

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
If you’ve ever watched cable news, where the average viewer is in their late sixties, you’ve probably seen an advertisement for a Medicare Advantage plan. They usually star some washed-up celebrity whose career peaked right around when today’s retirees were young adults (think Jimmy Walker or Joe Namath). And they always make a lot of big promises about how great Medicare Advantage coverage is.

There’s just one problem: The sales pitch is an abject lie. Medicare Advantage is much worse than traditional Medicare for people on the program and costs a great deal more to boot. But unless the Biden administration changes course, private companies will soon devour the rest of the program.

Medicare Advantage plans are typically a combination of “Medigap” plans, which cover services not included in the government plan like vision and dental, plus a privatized version of traditional Medicare. About 28 million American seniors are now on Advantage plans, or about 40 percent of the whole program. As Barbara Caress explains in the Prospect, it was set up back in the late 1990s as a way for those wonderful private insurance companies we all know and love to work their free-market magic on one corner of the system America carved out as publicly run. Once we got business involved, surely the quality of coverage would improve and costs would go down, right?

I had a insurance man trying to hawk that shit on me last week at the pawn shop.

I told him that I don't mind his company but I did not want to hear about that shit from him anymore.

That said I know a guy he hooked into it and he loves it to death but even if he is one of the lucky ones it's still a scam to fleece the US taxpayer. The insurance companies are making bank on it.

If you’ve ever watched cable news, where the average viewer is in their late sixties, you’ve probably seen an advertisement for a Medicare Advantage plan. They usually star some washed-up celebrity whose career peaked right around when today’s retirees were young adults (think Jimmy Walker or Joe Namath). And they always make a lot of big promises about how great Medicare Advantage coverage is.

There’s just one problem: The sales pitch is an abject lie. Medicare Advantage is much worse than traditional Medicare for people on the program and costs a great deal more to boot. But unless the Biden administration changes course, private companies will soon devour the rest of the program.

Medicare Advantage plans are typically a combination of “Medigap” plans, which cover services not included in the government plan like vision and dental, plus a privatized version of traditional Medicare. About 28 million American seniors are now on Advantage plans, or about 40 percent of the whole program. As Barbara Caress explains in the Prospect, it was set up back in the late 1990s as a way for those wonderful private insurance companies we all know and love to work their free-market magic on one corner of the system America carved out as publicly run. Once we got business involved, surely the quality of coverage would improve and costs would go down, right?

I don't know your age but you sure are not old enough to qualify for Medicare. Unless you are amongst the white privileged you will take advantage of some supplemental plan in the future. The Advantage plans are a lifesaver to many including myself. With bad kidneys and multiple procedures and surgeries, I would have been charged more than a million dollars over the past 10 or 12 years. Medicare would pay only 80%, while my advantage plan picked up the rest, saving me about 200-300k. Are Medicare and the Advantage plans run properly? Hell no, nothing run by or supervised by the government is without waste and corruption.

Private industry, Private industry, Private industry!!!! Businesses run by company executives thrive and make money. Anything the government runs turns into a colossal boondoggle.
I hear you. But I don't see the numbers used to verify it. Got a spreadsheet comparison handy?

I hear you. But I don't see the numbers used to verify it. Got a spreadsheet comparison handy?
You can't be that nieve. Do you actually trust career politicians to do the right thing? Has there ever been a government project that didn't include, special interest consideration, kowtowing to lobbyists' bid rigging, nepotism, cost overruns, and the time-honored over staffing, all of which turn any government project into a net sum boondoggle? Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

"Private industry" has its issues too. Or are you really that naive? Spreadsheet comparison?.. {or kindly have a nice hot cup of STFU already}
Another indication that the left will just not accept reality. Even if the private industry had 10x the issues compared to the government they still run efficiently and make money year after year. You and the left cannot be trusted, you support a fool (Biden) and are willing to take us all down the rat hole with you.

Another indication that the left will just not accept reality.
So I'm "the left" and support Biden now because you can't back up your idiotic assertions?
if the private industry had 10x the issues compared to the government they still run efficiently and make money year after year
Someone taught you that governments are supposed to make a profit?
Keep digging.. This is getting kind of fun..

Another private sector failure and proof that government is best suited to afford seniors ongoing healthcare.

traditional Medicare for people on the program and costs a great deal more to boot.

Explain how and why Carl.

Not that it will matter here, but what the hell...

In my experience in helping to put plans together, going over the options with my advisory clients, and watching the relationship between CMS and the insurance companies first hand, what I saw was a fairly healthy (if contentious at times) working relationship, each using its influence to keep things from going too far in either direction. CMS does a very good job of protecting and covering participants, the insurance companies do a very good job of staying in their lane and innovating.

Too bad our political parties can't work together like that, huh? But I'm sure that very few here feel that way. We can't have THAT!

Hate government? Blah, blah, blah. Hate insurance companies? Blah, blah, blah. Our Medicare / Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement system is a solid middle ground. Tough shit if you exist too far on either end. It's time we all had it. The template is in place. A few tweaks and we'd be in much better shape than we are now, with our stupid, comically inefficient 7-headed "system".

Okay, back to the binary, either/or, all-my-way argument. Enjoy!

Last edited:
It was created to meet some price points, Supplements are much to pricey for many older people. The MAPD's replace regular Medicare, A&B are still in place but they don't pay anything. The Gov pays the insurance companies a set amount each month, nothing more.

Blah, blah, blah. Our Medicare / Medicare Advantage / Medicare Supplement system is a solid middle ground. Tough shit if you exist too far on either end. It's time we all had it. The template is in place.
Your way or the highway!

I quoted you for christsakes.

But thanks for this very clear example of how you think about politics, people, and where you view yourself standing in relation. I think I'm beginning to get it now.. Nah, not really..

^Do not believe this lying POS.

Nope, sorry. Everything I typed is true. I do health insurance all day 5 days a week.

How does Medicare Advantage work?​

When you enroll in Medicare Advantage, Medicare pays the insurance company a portion of your Part A and Part B premiums. In return, the insurance company assumes responsibility for all your health care costs. Medicare Advantage essentially replaces Original Medicare.

Since insurance companies compete for Medicare Advantage members, they are incentivized to offer additional benefits to attract new enrollees. To pay for these extra benefits, these companies take steps to control health care costs. An approved provider network is one of the most common ways insurers lower health costs.

^Do not believe this lying POS.
No, you copied and pasted what you wanted to from his reply. If you're on a Medicare Advantage plan and you go to doctor, hospital, etc Medicare does not pay, the MA pays.

Forum List

Back