Medicaid Drops Coverage For Mom With Cancer

Strange. I could have sworn this is why we were told the government had to take over health care. I thought only the "evil" insurance companies did this.

A woman battling a cancer battle was dealt a surprise blow by Uncle Sam this month.

Diana Smith has gone through six months of radiation and chemotherapy -- one week out of every month. She is in remission and had a donor for a transplant; being in remission is prerequisite for the transplant.

But her hopes of receiving the transplant were dashed in March, when she says, the Social Security Administration contacted her –without her soliciting it -- and told her that her three year-old son was entitled to receive Social Security disability payments. Even though she didn't ask for it, she signed the form and received her son's first check check.

In April, Medicaid canceled her universal health care policy because her income level had risen with her son's payments – making her ineligible for the insurance program.

The problem is Jackson Memorial Hospital cannot provide the procedure because the risk is too high. The universal policy from Medicaid helps shield the hospital from liability in this kind of case. Without it, they are subject to liability issues.

Even though Smith offered to cancel her son's disability benefits, she was told it's too late.

"She's gone through six months worth of radiation and chemo, her body can't take anymore. If they don't allow her to have this transplant coming up right now next week, they're in effect signing her death warrant," said her friend Tom Noonan.

Medicaid Drops Coverage For Mom With Cancer - cbs4.com

they didn't terminate her because of the condition. they terminated her because she was no longer financially eligible.

i'd hate to think you were being intentionally misleading. *rolls eyes*

besides, aren't you the guys who hate government provided health care? so what are you whining about?

The only reason this woman is alive today and able to complain about the gov't screwing her is b/c the gov't paid for her six months of chemo. If the gov't stayed out of health care like you're saying, she'd already be dead.

not if she had an Ins plan.....but no matter what....the woman got fucked....bottom line...the Govt is and will be just as selective as the private guys....

just because the O/P is misleading, don't get caught up in his characterization. she wasn't terminated because of her illness. the only 'selectivity' involved was her income.

How do you know that?

Well, tell us how she would of survived these past six months if she couldn't afford the treatment previously?

Your presumption that she would have died is predicated upon that exact same conditions existing minus publicly funded health care. That likely wouldn't be the case. If neither Federal nor state governments were paying peoples' medical bills then chances are there would be a lot more foundations and charitable organizations out there helping people who need serious care and can't afford it. I would opine that it would be quite commonplace actually. We would probably also have more low cost clinics available.

Government supplementing health care is one of the primary reasons it became so expensive in the first place.

they didn't terminate her because of the condition. they terminated her because she was no longer financially eligible.

No shit. One branch of the government propositioned to supplement her income and then another branch turns around and cancels her care because of it. The government is supposed to be the answer to all of our prayers, remember?

i'd hate to think you were being intentionally misleading. *rolls eyes*

Then don't. I imagine you hate to think, period.

..............."She's gone through six months worth of radiation and chemo, her body can't take anymore. If they don't allow her to have this transplant coming up right now next week, they're in effect signing her death warrant," said her friend Tom Noonan.

Sooooooo what if anything is her 'friend' Tom doing to help out other than whine that the guvmint need to do sumtin?

The only reason this woman is alive today and able to complain about the gov't screwing her is b/c the gov't paid for her six months of chemo. If the gov't stayed out of health care like you're saying, she'd already be dead.

not if she had an Ins plan.....but no matter what....the woman got fucked....bottom line...the Govt is and will be just as selective as the private guys....

just because the O/P is misleading, don't get caught up in his characterization. she wasn't terminated because of her illness. the only 'selectivity' involved was her income.

but my contention Jill is that the Govt is/will/can be just as selective as any Ins Co out there.....when my folks were alive if it wasnt for Blue Shield they would have been a hurtin....they paid for everything Medicare/Medicaid would not....which turned out to be quite a bit....and paid for my dad to go to UCI Med Center's Joslen Diabetes Center which Medicaid and Medicare denied.....

I do not believe that SS just up and gave her child benefits.

According to her, they contacted her out of the blue and told her she qualified for these benefits. She claimed she never made any inquiry about them on her own.

..............."She's gone through six months worth of radiation and chemo, her body can't take anymore. If they don't allow her to have this transplant coming up right now next week, they're in effect signing her death warrant," said her friend Tom Noonan.

Sooooooo what if anything is her 'friend' Tom doing to help out other than whine that the guvmint need to do sumtin?

I don't know about Noonan personally, but when this story got out people and businesses in her neighborhood began taking up a collection to help pay for the surgery. This is what we call charity and it doesn't need the government.

I do not believe that SS just up and gave her child benefits.

According to her, they contacted her out of the blue and told her she qualified for these benefits. She claimed she never made any inquiry about them on her own.

According to her... Possibly and possibly she went to a help agency and filled out papers and they did it for her.
I just do not believe it happened out of the blue.

Some say that charitable organizations will take care of this type of things and the govt is not needed to help....

Then don't. I imagine you hate to think, period.

given your fallacious, misleading thread, i don't have to imagine you don't think.

i know for certain.

Well now you're just lying, but that's nothing new for you either. You can't possibly support half of what you do without lying about the results.

According to her... Possibly and possibly she went to a help agency and filled out papers and they did it for her.
I just do not believe it happened out of the blue.

And it may not be true. That's certainly a possibility.

Some say that charitable organizations will take care of this type of things and the govt is not needed to help....

I would agree. See posts 25 and 32.

I thought the right keeps wanting to cut welfare types of programs anyway?
Now they bitch because it does cut benefits?

I thought the right keeps wanting to cut welfare types of programs anyway?
Now they bitch because it does cut benefits?

If that's your impression then you've missed the entire point. One of the main arguments in support of ObamaCare is that we need the government to be involved because the insurance companies sometimes won't pay to treat people and let them die or people don't have insurance period and die. Yet, we have this woman on government health care who just got denied by the government right before her life saving surgery. The point is the government is not the magic bullet a lot of people think it will be.

Forum List

Back