McDonalds cashier requirements

Let's raise the minimum wage so these grad cashiers can pay back the loans.

It would just be so much justice if McDonalds raised the wsges they pay and required a degree to flip burgers.

Bachelors degree and 2 years of experience.

Want to tell me again how wonderful the economy is?

McDonald's cashier job requires bachelor's degree | Video Library | Detroit Free Press
First off, it doesn't cost "hundreds of thousand of dollars" to get a bachelor's degree. Second, it is a job that provides benefits and a weekly salary rather than nothing and being on assistance. What happened to the idea of paying your dues in order to get where you want? I didn't walk out of university and get the job of my dreams; I paid my dues for years.

It doesn't sound to me like it is so much the economy that is the problem but the idea of Americans being spoiled that is the real problem. You moan and bitch about everything. For example, people in Europe have always paid 4x or more for gas as you ever have. College grads there have always known how competitive it is to get a good job. I remember both of those things very distinctly from the first time I was in Europe 35 years ago. I realized then how easy Americans had it.

Is the economy bad in the US? Yes. Will it get better? Yes. But it is bad most everywhere. I say the young people there should adhere to what you all exclaim are basic American principles, like pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, working hard, using your ingenuity, rugged individualism, independence, etc., instead of whining, crying and bitching constantly. It's really annoying and one reason why the country is faltering. You expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Last edited:

McDonald's cashier job requires bachelor's degree | Video Library | Detroit Free Press
Looks like you're safe, it wasn't true.

McDonald's: No bachelor's degree needed | WashingtonExaminer.com

Of course it wasn't true. It's all about the "disparate impact" part of anti-discrimination laws. I doubt that any business, especially a large one, would be foolish enough to impose such meaningless standards. Had it been true, there would have been a lawsuit filed for sure.

Of course it wasn't true. It's all about the "disparate impact" part of anti-discrimination laws. I doubt that any business, especially a large one, would be foolish enough to impose such meaningless standards. Had it been true, there would have been a lawsuit filed for sure.

It is illegal to require a degree? Since when?

A lawsuit filed, LMAO. They can make any requirements they want for a job. I don't think this has anything to do with disparate impact and discrimination. A college degree can simply mean you are intelligent and have been able to focus on a goal and to work hard. Any employer is justified in wanting employees with those qualities. As well, any restaurant is justified in wanting employees with experience--experience working with the public, experience handling food, experience handling money. They are not required to hire teenagers with no skills and no previous experience just because you say so.

Last edited:

The story was true, even your link admits that, it just turned out to be a mistake that, apparently, was not the fault of McDonalds.

Boy, you have a wierd way of looking at things

The story was true, even your link admits that, it just turned out to be a mistake that, apparently, was not the fault of McDonalds.

^nit

And you're a moron for believing it to begin with and for posting it here like you were spiking a football or something.

Jackass.

There are many examples in the past where employers who required college degrees were successfully sued for violating anti-discrimination laws. The courts ruled that such requirements had a disparate impact on Blacks since less Blacks had such degrees than Whites. The only way to win such a discrimination suit was to prove that the required degree was necessary for performance of the offered job.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that McDonald's could prove that having a BA was necessary for someone to be a cashier. What do you think?

PS: I hate to give links when I feel that the subject matter should be known or could be known with a minute or two of basic research. I would suggest that you Google “College degrees and disparate impact.” There are 1,640,000 sites for you to check out.

Edited to add: Currently, the Obama Administration is considering making it discriminatory to refuse to hire someone just because he/she convicted of a crime, with no regard to the type of crime or the nature of the offered employment. The logic is that compared to Whites a higher percentage of Blacks have been convicted of a crime. This is an application of the disparate impact rule.

Last edited:

There are many examples in the past where employers who required college degrees were successfully sued for violating anti-discrimination laws. The courts ruled that such requirements had a disparate impact on Blacks since less Blacks had such degrees than Whites. The only way to win such a discrimination suit was to prove that the required degree was necessary for performance of the offered job.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that McDonald's could prove that having a BA was necessary for someone to be a cashier. What do you think?

PS: I hate to give links when I feel that the subject matter should be known or could be known with a minute or two of basic research. I would suggest that you Google “College degrees and disparate impact.” There are 1,640,000 sites for you to check out.

But, the situation you describe has to do with racial discrimination. If a place like McDonald's wants to hire people with degrees to bring up the level of their workforce, it isn't racial or any other kind of discrimination; it is just them wanting to have a better performing workforce. There are communities that require policement to have a 4 year degree. The don't literally need one to be a cop, but no one has ever sued over it, and the level of their workforce is higher, imo. I grew up in a city that required those hired on the police force to have a 4 year degree, and they were better policemen/women than in other big cities, imo. Purposely putting up an obstacle to keep people of a certain race or gender out is one thing; raising the bar on the quality and characteristics of who you want to hire is another.

When the "job creators" put the squeeze on the labor marker, they can get whatever and whoever they want.

Edited to add: Currently, the Obama Administration is considering making it discriminatory to refuse to hire someone just because he/she convicted of a crime, with no regard to the type of crime or the nature of the offered employment. The logic is that compared to Whites a higher percentage of Blacks have been convicted of a crime. This is an application of the disparate impact rule.
^bullshit. The EEOC guidelines make it clear that you cannot ONLY require criminal background checks on prospective employees because of what race or religion they belong to. In other words, you cannot just require criminal background checks for white people and let anyone else be hired without a criminal background check.

But, the situation you describe has to do with racial discrimination. If a place like McDonald's wants to hire people with degrees to bring up the level of their workforce, it isn't racial or any other kind of discrimination; it is just them wanting to have a better performing workforce. There are communities that require policement to have a 4 year degree. The don't literally need one to be a cop, but no one has ever sued over it, and the level of their workforce is higher, imo. I grew up in a city that required those hired on the police force to have a 4 year degree, and they were better policemen/women than in other big cities, imo. Purposely putting up an obstacle to keep people of a certain race or gender out is one thing; raising the bar on the quality and characteristics of who you want to hire is another.

First of all, many employers have in fact lost discrimination lawsuits because the degree requirements they imposed had a disparate impact on minorities and the degree was not reasonably necessary for performance of the offered position. There is no argument on this point.

Second, some positions may justify a degree requirement, but others clearly do not, and this is a matter for the courts to determine. Again, this has been established by a multitude of discrimination lawsuits over time. There is no debate on this either.

Third, and finally, you think that, “Purposely putting up an obstacle to keep people of a certain race or gender out is one thing; raising the bar on the quality and characteristics of who you want to hire is another.” However, the law CLEARLY say otherwise. In disparate impact cases, plaintiffs do not have to prove discriminatory intent, only discriminatory effect. This is a well-settled legal matter so there is no debating the issue. I suggest that your understanding of the law regarding disparate impact is woefully inadequate and you really need to study the matter.

In my opinion if McDonald's imposed a BA requirement for entry-level cashiers and a lawsuit was filed against them, they wouldn't have a chance in hell of convincing a court that the degree was necessary. I have never known of an employer who successfully defended itself in a disparate impact discrimination lawsuit by claiming the degree was necessary to “bring up the level of their workforce.” You may disagree, but that's the way life goes.

Now I am done with this thread.

I will give you the last word. I'm an old man, so please be kind.

Forum List

Back