McCain At 'High Point'?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
20pts down?

http://townhall.com/Columnists/DeanBarnett/2007/03/03/the_mccain_mutiny?page=full&comments=true

The McCain Mutiny
By Dean Barnett
Saturday, March 3, 2007

On Thursday, the king of the blogopshere Glenn Reynolds asked, “Is it my imagination, or is John McCain’s campaign unraveling all of a sudden?” In fairness to Glenn, the unraveling of the McCain campaign has been a painstaking process that’s been ongoing for over six years. While many people are making a sudden discovery of the Republican Party’s ill-feelings for the Arizona senator, the hostility is nothing new.

I wasn’t supposed to be this way. John McCain was supposed to the Republican front runner. And Republicans historically give the nomination to whoever’s “turn” it is. And yet by no conventional rendering can John McCain be understood to be the frontrunner at this juncture. He doesn’t have the most money, he doesn’t have the affection of party activists, and he’s trailing Rudy Giuliani in public opinion polls by dozens of points. Looking up at Giuliani in the polls, the Senator is likely asking himself, “Who am I? How did I get here?”

The McCain mutiny has been six years in the making. For almost the entire duration of the Bush administration, Senator McCain has seemingly gone out of his way to antagonize conservatives and Republicans. He teamed with one of the Senate’s most liberal members, Russ Feingold, to deliver a catastrophic piece of campaign finance reform. This move won the plaudits of the media, but got only catcalls from conservatives. In more recent days, McCain has attempted to outdo himself by teaming with longtime Republican bogeyman Ted Kennedy to craft an immigration bill.

he hasnt even declared himself running yet. Sheesh. let him get in the race before he has a high point.

Of course, I dont think it will matter too much. Im not supporting him and I dont think he will do well. I just think the people who seem to think this is over before we are even close to having votes on anything are just kinda ridiculous.

he hasnt even declared himself running yet. Sheesh. let him get in the race before he has a high point.

Of course, I dont think it will matter too much. Im not supporting him and I dont think he will do well. I just think the people who seem to think this is over before we are even close to having votes on anything are just kinda ridiculous.

He announced on Letterman that he will be announcing in April. He's in, has been for nearly 6 years.

Forum List

Back