Maternal death rate isn't as bad if you don't count Black women, GOP Louisiana senator Bill Cassidy says

if you want to make a statement to wreck your political career, i can't think of a better one!

It is the truth. The prenatal care they get is abysmal. The booze, the dope, the cigs.......................Disaster

The truth is a very painful thing

if you want to make a statement to wreck your political career, i can't think of a better one!

Well that's awful. "Correct for race"--no

I get that there is inequality in access to healthcare and especially quality healthcare. But I wonder too esp in the South how much of these problems in Black mothers are worsened by poor diet and obesity. BTW I don't entirely blame them for that--our food supply is not healthy and hits minorities worse. But I know pg can be particularly difficult on obese women.

I would love to see city gardens really take off. Everyone should have access to good HEALTHY food

If you removed BIPOC's from just about any measure of American quality of life, our numbers would be on par with Europe. Academic, health, longevity, intelligence, you name it.

A "gaffe" is a statement which, while true, was better left unsaid. The OP is Exhibit A.

White Americans would remove half of the people in their country.

And then still wind up with half the remainder, uneducated hillbillies and members of the Klan.

It's all good but maybe a more socially responsible solution is needed?

Senator Cassidy already sank his boat before the comment mentioned in the article and will not be returning to the Senate.

An example of what happens when a person is good on the campaign trail, is up against shitty competition ...
And completely loses their mind when they get to the Shitshow on Capitol Hill.

Wow! that was insensitive AND stupid to say. The death rate is what it is. Its also amazing that the death rate for POC women is 4 to every one W mother. the liberal take on that from the article ......

Dean Michelle Williams of Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health discussed Cassidy's comments in a blog post. (The Politico article was produced as part of a series partnership with the school.)

Williams said: "It's no mystery why maternal mortality rates are so high among Black women. They are high because of the devastating impacts of structural racism and individual bias."

If liberals just like THAT one, spent their time promoting healthy diet and exercise in the black community instead of promoting the idea that you cant do anything to improve your life because the shadow of institutional racism is hanging over you it would be a better world.

As it is though , I believe 50 - 60% of what kills people is the way they shop for food, and that is generational. You can look at peoples shopping carts and see what they got in them... the ones who buy food where everything is pre-made and in a plastic container and or mostly sugary carbs etc are going to be over weight, probably having high blood pressure and their kids standing next to them are often considered obese for their age group as well,
but they will be oblivious because they were just raised to eat what tastes good and is ready to eat. Sadly, I think this is more of a learned behaviour thats hard to break. Blaming it on society not so much.

Facts bother leftists. That segment of our population is at high risk because of their own lifestyle choices.

Forum List

Back