Masking sexual abuse as treatment?

yeah, I hate to hear a story like this

BUT - men should not be disqualified as doctors for women and girls...
. I think she was speaking only in certain situations they should have had a female doctor instead. Don't think she was speaking in general.

This is where being pragmatic is important when in a leadership role, or as an adult period.

If everyone took Chris' sexist approach, there'd be a world shortage of Doctors and much more.....exponentially more damage would be done to the world's population...

simply because of emotion based gross over simplifications and being sexist as opposed to just realizing...

umm hey its rare and its a mental decifiency, kay lets not damage the entire planet cuz of it cuz we're dumb.

and to say "in many instances?" really? what % of doctors, as an exact numeral please or else gtfo with that hype driven fucking GUESS

Whatever dude. It's a risk I wouldn't take with other people's daughters. If I was in charge of a bunch of young females, I would have hired a FEMALE doctor. I don't really give two craps if you don't like it, TBH.
cool story bro, its still dumb and you would harm more folks than your ego thinks its protecting, all cuz of a shortage of brain cells and common sense i mean jesus fuck, theres ALREADY a shortage of health care professionals, lets boycott males good job ya emotionally stunted gooftroop.

You are an idiot. End of story.
Because he/she didn't agree with you? How perfectly leftist.
It's called 'debate'

I'm sure (in fact I know) there are some fine male doctors out there who would never even think of doing such a thing, but that is too big of a risk to take when you are responsible for the safety and well being of HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of young girls (and some boys as well).

from your article:

Jessica Howard was the U.S. National champion in rhythmic gymnastics from 1999 to 2001. She recalls one session with Dr. Nassar. “He started massaging me. And-- he had asked me not to wear any underwear. And then he just continued to go into more and more intimate places,” she tells LaPook. “I remember thinking something was off but I didn’t feel like I was able to say anything because he was, you know, this very high profile doctor,” says Howard. The girls questioned Nassar’s behavior among themselves. “The girls would say ‘yeah he touches you funny,’” she recalls.

As a parent, I repeatedly tell my kids that NO ONE touches you there and to TELL DADDY if ANYTHING happens

I am not trying to go down the road of "victim blaming" here; but the saddest part of this story seems to be that this jackass could have and should have been caught and stopped a long time ago (not quoted here, but article suggests inappropriate behavior went back as far as 1996)

yeah, I hate to hear a story like this

BUT - men should not be disqualified as doctors for women and girls...
. I think she was speaking only in certain situations they should have had a female doctor instead. Don't think she was speaking in general.

Or at least have another person in the room with the girls! That would be a pretty simple solution! I'm just so tired of hearing about adults who prey upon the young and vulnerable, and I want something to be done about it! More than what we are currently doing. It seems as though there are more and more cases like this all the time!

Also, you have to think that some sick people purposefully pick such fields to work in because of the access they would have to children. It's a sick and twisted world we live in!

This is where being pragmatic is important when in a leadership role, or as an adult period.

If everyone took Chris' sexist approach, there'd be a world shortage of Doctors and much more.....exponentially more damage would be done to the world's population...

simply because of emotion based gross over simplifications and being sexist as opposed to just realizing...

umm hey its rare and its a mental decifiency, kay lets not damage the entire planet cuz of it cuz we're dumb.

and to say "in many instances?" really? what % of doctors, as an exact numeral please or else gtfo with that hype driven fucking GUESS

Whatever dude. It's a risk I wouldn't take with other people's daughters. If I was in charge of a bunch of young females, I would have hired a FEMALE doctor. I don't really give two craps if you don't like it, TBH.
cool story bro, its still dumb and you would harm more folks than your ego thinks its protecting, all cuz of a shortage of brain cells and common sense i mean jesus fuck, theres ALREADY a shortage of health care professionals, lets boycott males good job ya emotionally stunted gooftroop.

It's called 'debate'

No, because he is a well known idiot "leftist" around these parts. Of course you would know absolutely NOTHING about it, newb!

I'm sure (in fact I know) there are some fine male doctors out there who would never even think of doing such a thing, but that is too big of a risk to take when you are responsible for the safety and well being of HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of young girls (and some boys as well).

from your article:

Jessica Howard was the U.S. National champion in rhythmic gymnastics from 1999 to 2001. She recalls one session with Dr. Nassar. “He started massaging me. And-- he had asked me not to wear any underwear. And then he just continued to go into more and more intimate places,” she tells LaPook. “I remember thinking something was off but I didn’t feel like I was able to say anything because he was, you know, this very high profile doctor,” says Howard. The girls questioned Nassar’s behavior among themselves. “The girls would say ‘yeah he touches you funny,’” she recalls.

As a parent, I repeatedly tell my kids that NO ONE touches you there and to TELL DADDY if ANYTHING happens

I am not trying to go down the road of "victim blaming" here; but the saddest part of this story seems to be that this jackass could have and should have been caught and stopped a long time ago (not quoted here, but article suggests inappropriate behavior went back as far as 1996)

Yes, we tell them and we warn them as parents. Unfortunately, some parents are not as vigilante, and sometimes the children feel uncomfortable making an accusation (especially if the abuse is "subtle" such as a doctor/patient relationship).

Would you have felt perfectly comfortable calling out your doctor as a young person? Perhaps you would, but not everyone would. That can be quite intimidating to a kid. Then, there is the embarrassment and shame.

Yes, I don't know why they wouldn't have had a nurse or someone else present in the room during examinations and treatments. That would be too much common sense for some, I suppose.

I would support this as a hard policy, a much better solution than disqualifying someone based on gender - nurse (or someone) should be present when any child is examined, boy or girl

Would you have felt perfectly comfortable calling out your doctor as a young person? Perhaps you would, but not everyone would. That can be quite intimidating to a kid. Then, there is the embarrassment and shame.

no, it's tough, especially when a child is dealing with an authority figure

that gets compounded when it is something like this, a huge privilege & honor (being on the Olympic Team) & dealing with the doctor assigned by your coach, or the committee (people and groups you have been trained to obey & trust)

the "2nd person present" idea is just common sense - I would be shooting me a doc if this was my daughter, or minimally beating him to within an inch of his life - not excited about the prospect of time behind bars, but would happily risk it in this situation

that's a big bonus of living in Alabama (outside of the cost of living) - odds are I'd be found not guilty & walk scott free :)

that gets compounded when it is something like this, a huge privilege & honor (being on the Olympic Team) & dealing with the doctor assigned by your coach, or the committee (people and groups you have been trained to obey & trust)

the "2nd person present" idea is just common sense - I would be shooting me a doc if this was my daughter, or minimally beating him to within an inch of his life - not excited about the prospect of time behind bars, but would happily risk it in this situation

that's a big bonus of living in Alabama (outside of the cost of living) - odds are I'd be found not guilty & walk scott free :)

I would want to kill a person who molested my child. Seriously. I would probably be in jail too. I know that probably isn't the "right" thing to do (or maybe it is?), but I would really want to make that person suffer a lot.

Okay numbers guy... Tell me this pragmatic one. Which is more likely to molest a young girl? A male? Or a female?
may as well ask a human or a dog

a tree or a goat

its rare, and you dont hang it on a whole genders neck like an albatross because THAT knee jerking is MORE damaging to the world than molestors ever could be

Damn right!

Okay numbers guy... Tell me this pragmatic one. Which is more likely to molest a young girl? A male? Or a female?
may as well ask a human or a dog

a tree or a goat

its rare, and you dont hang it on a whole genders neck like an albatross because THAT knee jerking is MORE damaging to the world than molestors ever could be
You avoided answering the question... And we all know why.

I would want to kill a person who molested my child. Seriously. I would probably be in jail too. I know that probably isn't the "right" thing to do (or maybe it is?), but I would really want to make that person suffer a lot.
. Better yet, put the right lawmakers in place again so that you could stand there innocent while the law itself pulls the lever on the gallows that were built in order to watch him swing. Now that's justice.

http://www.d2l.org/atf/cf/{64AF78C4-5EB8-45AA-BC28-F7EE2B581919}/Statistics_1_Magnitude.pdf

FACT: Child sexual abuse is far more prevalent than most people realize. It is likely the most prevalent health problem children face with the most serious array of consequences. 2 About one in 10 children will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday.*1 About one in seven girls and one in 25 boys with be sexually abused before they turn 18. 1 This year, there will be about 400,000* babies born in the U.S. that will become victims of child sexual abuse UNLESS WE DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT.1

FACT: Even with declining rates of reported sexual abuse, the public is not fully aware of the magnitude of the problem. The primary reason is that only about 38% of child victims disclose the fact they have been sexually abused.5,6 Some never disclose. 7,8

It's called 'debate'

No, because he is a well known idiot "leftist" around these parts. Of course you would know absolutely NOTHING about it, newb!
Of course... you CAN have a decent covenversation with folks of the leftish bent. I know' I've done it many times. Yes, I am new here but I've been on political boards for 147 years and people are people wherever you go. I was resonding to GT's words here, not the poster personally. Perhaps... being a 'newbie' am less biased.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
he 'fight or flight' instinct is dying in people today. Girls or women often ignore that feeling that all is not well and take that ride with a fella or continue to see that doc even though alarm bells are going like mad.
Every parent should be vigilant and fierce when it comes to their children and that includes some internal skills that allow them to stop the bad thing from happening to begin with. Your young lady should have the confidence and awareness to speak up and stay out of that car ride a sketchy guy may offer.
GT is correct. We don't have enough docs and nurses as it is and to arbitrarily knock them out of the loop... to assume guilt and take away their right to perform their profession just isn't the American way. A 3rd person will solve this problem and it's a hell of a lot better solution than whats being proposed here.
I myself may have become a victim several times if my mama hadn't instilled in me the courage and conviction to speak up or avoid what may become a dangerous situation
There are bad cops out there too. Bad apples in every bunch. Do we now say a male cop may not do his job when it involves a female?

Both parties have their loonies and non loonies.
I'm a right wing independent so I agree more often with republicans. But I can yak with almost anyone.

Forum List

Back