March Madness 2016

• Banned
Cdb6KuyVAAEp9f0.jpg

TV Gerund

March Madness is great American TV access to collegiate sports, baby.

I'm a good friend of Dick Vitale, and here's his secret Elite/Great 8:

Kansas-Villanova

UNC-Xavier

Seton Hall-Virginia

Duke-Oklahoma

I'd love love love to see Seton Hall advance so far, but they have to get past Gonzaga and Michigan State, which is a tough order. It's been a while since I followed the Pirates of SHU (i.e., Terry Dehere and Danny Hurley), but why not create some random Duke-Seton Hall curry?

After seeing Blue Chips, I feel somber about March Madness.

photo.jpg

The NCAA tournament truly is "madness."

The purpose of any tournament is to determine who the best team is. The theoretical purpose of the NCAA tournament is to ascertain the "best" team in college basketball.

But by inviting 64 (or is it 68?) teams, they introduce the strong possibility that a mediocre team will win the tournament, thus making the whole thing a sham.

The NCAA tournament should have 8 teams - if we really want to be crazy, make it 16. And those teams should be the best teams in the country, based on the votes of a group of knowledgeable experts who have closely observed the season. There should be no automatic berths for teams who "won" low-grade conference titles (which are often similar cluster-fucks based on end-of-year conference tournaments).

With an 8-team tournament, you would have a high level of confidence that the winning team was truly the "champion" of college basketball, not just a team that happened to get hot at the right time.

The NCAA tournament truly is "madness."

The purpose of any tournament is to determine who the best team is. The theoretical purpose of the NCAA tournament is to ascertain the "best" team in college basketball.

But by inviting 64 (or is it 68?) teams, they introduce the strong possibility that a mediocre team will win the tournament, thus making the whole thing a sham.

The NCAA tournament should have 8 teams - if we really want to be crazy, make it 16. And those teams should be the best teams in the country, based on the votes of a group of knowledgeable experts who have closely observed the season. There should be no automatic berths for teams who "won" low-grade conference titles (which are often similar cluster-fucks based on end-of-year conference tournaments).

With an 8-team tournament, you would have a high level of confidence that the winning team was truly the "champion" of college basketball, not just a team that happened to get hot at the right time.
It used to be 16 teams and it was truly regional. Way more intriguing and it made the regular season matter. The season counted from December on. Now there is no point in watching until mid March.
I disagree with the idea of selecting just the best assessed teams. That would result in major conference challenge series with several rematches. No intrigue.

Forum List

Back