Mandalay Bay staffers didn’t call cops after security guard was shot

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I'm no lawyer, but maybe there is grounds for a lawsuit after all.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/mandalay-bay-staffers-didnt-call-cops-after-security-guard-was-shot/

Hotel staffers at the Mandalay Bay did not call Las Vegas police until after Stephen Paddock started his mass shooting spree, according to phone records.

An anonymous source who has reviewed the records told ABC’s “World News Tonight” that employees initially refused to alert authorities — even after security guard Jesus Campos took a bullet to the leg.

Campos reportedly alerted his superiors and informed them about Paddock after being shot by him, but strangely, nobody called the cops, the source said.

In addition, security staffers failed to notify police when Mandalay Bay maintenance engineer Stephen Schuck told them that he, too, was being fired at.

“Call the police, someone is firing a gun up here. Someone is firing a rifle on the 32nd floor down the hallway,” Schuck can be heard saying on audio tapes released Wednesday by the hotel.

The engineer reportedly radioed his employer, letting them know what happened and what room Paddock was in, after being asked by the hotel to do so. Yet, nobody did anything.

According to ABC’s source, hotel staff didn’t inform authorities about Paddock until after he began killing concertgoers at the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

Police officials said Monday that Campos was shot roughly six minutes before the 64-year-old retiree opened fire. It’s unclear how long after Paddock started shooting that security officials waited to call the police.

Many have questioned the timeline of the Las Vegas massacre in the days following the tragedy — including MGM resorts International, which owns the Mandalay Bay.

The second-guessing began this week after police officials revealed that they had been wrong about the times they originally reported. Instead of being shot before the massacre, cops initially said Campos was targeted about 10 minutes into it.

I'm just catching up on this info, it was supposedly six minutes from when the guard was shot until the police were called. Six minutes, and the police were supposedly at the guys suite in 17 minutes. I'm not sure that rises to negligence, not to mention where do the times come from??? Is it like what various people said, or is there phone logs to confirm everything or what? I think we'll need more information before anyone can say the hotel is liable for anything. Which I think it'd just be failing to call 911 immediately, which I'm not sure is a legal requirement, nor even something you can sue someone over. They have procedures for calling police I'm sure, idk what they might be, and they might end up getting changed after this, but I"m not sure holding the hotel liable is going to stick in court. We'll have to see.

I'm just catching up on this info, it was supposedly six minutes from when the guard was shot until the police were called. Six minutes, and the police were supposedly at the guys suite in 17 minutes. I'm not sure that rises to negligence, not to mention where do the times come from??? Is it like what various people said, or is there phone logs to confirm everything or what? I think we'll need more information before anyone can say the hotel is liable for anything. Which I think it'd just be failing to call 911 immediately, which I'm not sure is a legal requirement, nor even something you can sue someone over. They have procedures for calling police I'm sure, idk what they might be, and they might end up getting changed after this, but I"m not sure holding the hotel liable is going to stick in court. We'll have to see.

Question is, how many people were shot and killed in those six minutes? That's the crux of any argument I would make as a lawyer.

If I were the lawyer, I would gain access to what audio there is of this man shooting from the beginning, there is at least one that captured, all if not most of his attack on audio through a video camera. I would then play for six full minutes to the jury and judge all the shots that rang out, try and count if needed how many rounds.

The question will then be, would six minutes LESS of this attack have made a difference? The answer is an overwhelming yes. Why someone didn't call the police as soon as they called down is beyond me, and heads should roll.

The sheriff is saying you people need to calm your nerves.
You dont know policy or laws. They could have written down the wrong time. He even said the timeline could very well change AGAIN.
They are giving a statement tomorrow.

No, I'm afraid it's not about how many were shot - not when we're talking about holding the hotel as liable. It's about how the hotel acted to protect a "third party" - as I understand it this wasn't their concert yes?

Did the singer on the stage call out the shooting before fleeing the scene? Is he then also liable for negligence because he didn't warn his fans?

I was just thinking about this more in depth and I wanted to add:

So the guard calls in, how many minutes passed before he was able to call hotel security? (He'd just been shot and all.) How many minutes did it take for hotel security to get the details necessary to pass on to the police? How many minutes did it take to dial 911, and how many for them to answer? It's a pretty... unreasonable expectation for everything to happen instantly. I'm sure the hotel has procedures so they don't have people making fraudulent 911 calls, because they'd be liable for abuse fines and stuff.

I just don't think it's wise to presume that the hotel "sat on it" like the media seems to be trying to do. I just don't buy that the hotel was trying to provide this guy any cover, it makes zero sense.

The Deep State is everyone.

I don't understand why the lies and misinformation were put out so early.

There is an agenda here.

Question is, how many people were shot and killed in those six minutes? That's the crux of any argument I would make as a lawyer.
Exactly. In my opinion pointing out however many bullets can be fired from his weapon of choice in just one minute would be the best way to give the powers that be a good idea of how many people can be taken out in just that one minute.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

No, I'm afraid it's not about how many were shot - not when we're talking about holding the hotel as liable. It's about how the hotel acted to protect a "third party" - as I understand it this wasn't their concert yes?

Did the singer on the stage call out the shooting before fleeing the scene? Is he then also liable for negligence because he didn't warn his fans?

So the guard calls in, how many minutes passed before he was able to call hotel security? (He'd just been shot and all.) How many minutes did it take for hotel security to get the details necessary to pass on to the police? How many minutes did it take to dial 911, and how many for them to answer? It's a pretty... unreasonable expectation for everything to happen instantly. I'm sure the hotel has procedures so they don't have people making fraudulent 911 calls, because they'd be liable for abuse fines and stuff.

I just don't think it's wise to presume that the hotel "sat on it" like the media seems to be trying to do. I just don't buy that the hotel was trying to provide this guy any cover, it makes zero sense.

Cover, no, of course not. Poor decision making and emergency preparedness, trained and familiar processes? Maybe.

Tough for me to second guess, also quite necessary to second guess. People lost loved ones, some kids lost their only parent(s). There might not be anyone negligible here, but if there are, they need to be held to account.

Cover, no, of course not. Poor decision making and emergency preparedness, trained and familiar processes? Maybe.

Tough for me to second guess, also quite necessary to second guess. People lost loved ones, some kids lost their only parent(s). There might not be anyone negligible here, but if there are, they need to be held to account.

"familiar processes"? There is nothing usual about this situation :/

When you talk about "emergency preparedness" with a hotel you're talking about "how to evacuate each floor in case of a fire," not "there is a mad man shooting up a concert" type situation - the actions taken in those two situations are completely different, the training required to deal with it is completely different, etc. I suspect that the hotel security is not equipped nor trained to deal with a mass shooter incident, and I highly suspect that they do not have the legal authority to do shit about it even if they /were/ trained and equipped for it - they are most likely required by law to let the police handle it.

Forum List

Back