Majority in US wants gov't to regulate prescription costs

we should be allowed to negotiate a bulk discount for Medicare prescripts, as ALL OTHER NATIONS DO, with Pharma....

THAT IS THE FREE MARKET.....

instead we have republicans writing law that RESTRICTS the free market and does not allow us to negotiate a bulk discount with them....

that's simply wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Then why didn't Obama and the Democrat Super Majority address this during the passage of Obamacare?
obamacare is not MEDICARE....

I'm sorry...did Obamacare not expand Medicaid?

I'm pretty sure it did. So why didn't they fix this? They had a super majority.

(Stephanie beat me to the punch here...Trump is promising to do this very thing)
You do know that Medicaid and Medicare are two different things, right?

no you don't say. how snobby

we should be allowed to negotiate a bulk discount for Medicare prescripts, as ALL OTHER NATIONS DO, with Pharma....

instead we have republicans writing law that RESTRICTS the free market and does not allow us to negotiate a bulk discount with them....

Then why didn't Obama and the Democrat Super Majority address this during the passage of Obamacare?

(Stephanie beat me to the punch here...Trump is promising to do this very thing)
yes, trump is trying to do this very thing, and I agree with Trump on this....

thus my comment that maybe he really is a Democrat in disguise....

And to answer you more fully, I think with Obamacare, he was trying to get Repubs to vote for the ACA, and putting medicare pharma negotiations in it, in his mind, and correctly so imo, would have eliminated any of them voting for it....

yes, that was naive of him to think any repub would vote for the ACA....but since 165 Republican amendments to the ACA were introduced and passed and a part of the ACA, he had hopes that the Repubs, at least some, would vote for it....

Who says money paid to Congress doesn't work?

Poll: Majority in US wants gov't to curb prescription costs | KSL.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Regardless of political affiliation, Americans strongly support government action to control prescription drug costs, according to a poll released Thursday.
While the 2016 presidential candidates continue to debate President Barack Obama's 5-year-old law expanding coverage for the uninsured, the latest Kaiser Family Foundation survey suggests the public is shifting to other health care issues.

<more>

Obamacare pandered to Big Pharms from the beginning. When they know insurance has to pay them and now everyone has to have insurance, they can charge whatever they want, and they do. They have no competition, which is what brings costs down. We aren't allowed to bring in cheaper drugs from other countries. So, government is supposed to come to the rescue and fix their own deals?

yes, trump is trying to do this very thing, and I agree with Trump on this....

thus my comment that maybe he really is a Democrat in disguise....

And to answer you more fully, I think with Obamacare, he was trying to get Repubs to vote for the ACA, and putting medicare pharma negotiations in it, in his mind, and correctly so imo, would have eliminated any of them voting for it....

yes, that was naive of him to think any repub would vote for the ACA....but since 165 Republican amendments to the ACA were introduced and passed and a part of the ACA, he had hopes that the Repubs, at least some, would vote for it....
bensteininsurance.jpg

pharma can still make the same in profits, even with medicare prescript negotiations, but all the other countries that buy their drugs from pharma at a 10 fold discount, may not get the same super duper prices that they were getting.... pharma will have to get some of their profits from these other nations instead of putting it all on our shoulders.

medicare is not medicaid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/washington/18cnd-medicare.html?_r=0

Bill to Let Medicare Negotiate Drug Prices Is Blocked
By ROBERT PEARAPRIL 18, 2007

Continue reading the main story Share This Page
WASHINGTON, April 18 — A pillar of the Democratic political program tumbled today when Republicans in the Senate blocked a proposal to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices for millions of older Americans, a practice now forbidden by law.

2007 really

when did the democrats control the presidents office and majority in the house and senate

really

WASHINGTON, April 18 — A pillar of the Democratic political program tumbled today when Republicans in the Senate blocked a proposal to allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices for millions of older Americans, a practice now forbidden by law.

2007 really

when did the democrats control the presidents office and majority in the house and senate

really

good catch. I haven't known her to be this dishonest trying to pass that off

R&D of prescription drugs is a significant cost to drug companies and they legitimately need to recoup the costs in order to make a profit. The federal government can't flip a freaking hamburger without a hundred page instruction manual printed in half a dozen languages. The FDA was in charge of the Flint Mich. water debacle and they couldn't isolate a sample of heavy metal in a freaking test tube. God help us if they try to dictate the cost of prescription drugs. That having been said, it seems the drug companies unholy alliance with the ad agencies needs some scrutiny.

the State of Maine was buying their prescripts from Canada, at a huge discount, but Repubs stopped that too.... and we were busing people to Canada once a month so people could get cheaper prescripts....all that had to stop when repubs passed their medicare pill bill which prevented it... made it against the law as well....

no wonder you guys hate the repub establishment and love trump now.....

2007 really

really
in 2007, this was the first bill they tried to get passed, but the Senate republicans blocked it....cant you read?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Regardless of political affiliation, Americans strongly support government action to control prescription drug costs, according to a poll released Thursday.
While the 2016 presidential candidates continue to debate President Barack Obama's 5-year-old law expanding coverage for the uninsured, the latest Kaiser Family Foundation survey suggests the public is shifting to other health care issues.

<more>

You could but then who would pay for the R&D?

The way I always read it america is the only country in the world coming up with the majority of new development.

you see folks, this is why the Democrats didn't pass something like this when they had a super majority. they wanted to use it again to play GAMES with our lives and for their dirty politics, so they can write their biased articles blaming Republicans like the one posted from the NySlimes. I don't how anyone supports that Democrat party

R&D of prescription drugs is a significant cost to drug companies and they legitimately need to recoup the costs in order to make a profit. The federal government can't flip a freaking hamburger without a hundred page instruction manual printed in half a dozen languages. The FDA was in charge of the Flint Mich. water debacle and they couldn't isolate a sample of heavy metal in a freaking test tube. God help us if they try to dictate the cost of prescription drugs. That having been said, it seems the drug companies unholy alliance with the ad agencies needs some scrutiny.
oh for goodness sake whitehall...

every business that buys bulk, negotiates a discount....NOT allowing customers who purchase a huge amount of a product the ability to negotiate a good price for the huge purchase

IS NOT THE FREE MARKET

it is the OPPOSITE of the way the ''market'' should work.

TRUMP IS RIGHT.

<more>

You could but then who would pay for the R&D?

The way I always read it america is the only country in the world coming up with the majority of new development.

Just a quick Google search.....

Which Countries Excel in Creating New Drugs? It’s Complicated | Xconomy

Roche is headquartered in Basel, so you might think that all of its drugs are created in Switzerland. Actually, many of Roche’s biggest blockbusters were born in the USA at Genentech, its South San Francisco based subsidiary. Roche’s acquisition of Genentech (initiated in 1990 and completed in 2009) has been a transformative driver of the company’s success in recent years. It led Roche toabandon the PhRMA trade group in favor of BIO, and to rebrand of many of its drugs from having the Roche imprint on the label to Genentech.

Sanofi is located in Paris, so its drugs originate in France, right? Many do, but with its acquisition of Boston-based Genzyme and more recent business deals with Tarrytown, NY-based Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: REGN) and Cambridge, MA-based Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ALNY), much of the company’s R&D work is now happening here in the U.S. Want evidence for the importance of this American connection? Chris Viehbacher, Sanofi’s German-Canadian CEO, has actually movedfrom Paris to Beantown

Snip

The percentage of all NCE’s (New Chemical Entities) that originated from U.S.-based companies rose from about 31 percent in the ‘70s and ‘80s to 42 percent in the ‘90s to 57 percent in the 2000s

2007 really

really
in 2007, this was the first bill they tried to get passed, but the Senate republicans blocked it....cant you read?

they tried only once in all those years really --LOL-- and your pissed at republicans --LOL--

they passed obamacare on a simply majority why not this --LOL-- why

that's not exactly an unbiased article from the nyslimes. and the Democrats had a super majority for two years. Republican couldn't do anything

So, you think the GOP hasn't blocked Medicare negotiating pharmaceutical costs. Here are a series of links to other articles.
And oh the irony! Here's Stephanie, one of the worst if not the worse abuser of using hyper-partisan blogs/resources. You Stephanie, are the biggest hypocrite on USMB.
Now, back to the links;
Drug-price negotiations bill stalls in Senate
Senate Republicans Block Medicare Drug Price Negotiating Bill | Fox News
Senate blocks Medicare drug price bill - USATODAY.com

It's also ironic that Trump supports bitched about lowering drug prices, but then just today, Trump wants to lower drug prices for Medicare. Man, did the Trump supporters make a sharp U turn on the issue quickly. :disbelief:

We already do regulate drug costs on behalf of the wealthy. It's called the patent system. It's run by the nanny government. This is how the "free" market gets government to build a state protected monopoly around their investments.

It represents a radical intervention in the market by government for the wealthy.

You might ask what the private sector does with the extra profits made possible by government's help. The answer is obvious. They dump the money into the Republican message system, which convinces Trump voters that the government only helps lazy parasites.

The system is owned and operated by and for the wealthy. There will never be a competitive drug market with competitive pricing. And there will always be talk radio republicans who have no clue.

Me thinks old people really want lower pill bills just so they can maximize their profits selling them on the streets...

Forum List

Back