Maggie Mae thinks illiteracy is genetic.

The definition of dyslexia has changed to encompass ALL reading problems. They can be inherited or caused by environmental factors such as lack of language development in the early years. Obviously any child who attends school regularly should be at a minimum "functionally literate". If they are not - there is a serious disconnect in the brain - which can be remediated with specialized instruction. A child who is not reading at grade level or not passing an exit exam does not mean that student is illiterate Although that's often the stat that is used.

.I don't see how this is a racial issue, unless Maggie is suggesting that remediation is unavailable in many black schools. And she would probably be correct.

Nature/nurture

It's absolutely true that a lot of kids have the inherent capability to learn, but they aren't getting the proper instruction and tools to develop that capacity. Returning to the movie "Precious," she was far from mentally disabled (stupid), but she was also given a chance to develop her learning capability OUTSIDE THE SYSTEM by a volunteer program (which the author of the book "Push" had herself been involved in). "Precious" was an exception. She did NOT fit the mold, which I believe was the wake-up call the movie intended: In order to stop an abysmal trend of actually "nurturing" ignorance by "feeding the beast" and nothing else, it needs to be turned around from the bottom up so that ultimately this pushed-down class of people will become productive members of society.

Not knowing how to read or write isn't genetic. BUT...having illiterate parents would tend to make it harder for children to become literate.

Don't think she is being racist, just repeating what some doctors of said.

137th APHA Annual Meeting (November 7-11, 2009): Identifying barriers to genetic literacy among African Americans and Latinos in the community

There is also some other stuff if you google.
I personally think it is environmental, and the white people are to blame, just not our generation so much. ;)

did you read your own link?
In an endeavor to increase genetic literacy, multiple efforts are now underway to inform the general public about the importance of family history for chronic diseases and to promote tools for the active collection of health history information

Moron

Religious preference is a mental conditioning that eventually becomes a genetic trait.

So the Irish are genetically inferior to the North Irish?
How about parents who beat their children? Hasn't research shown that they themselves were beaten as children? Again, is this not a genetic trait?

Criminality was a genetic condition alleged to exist among certain families in the 1920's and used as justification for the forced sterilization of children in the United States...

Your ignorance is matched only by your willful stupidity.

Mental conditioning leads to genetic mutation?

WHO KNEW???

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLL

☭proletarian☭;2191824 said:
Religious preference is a mental conditioning that eventually becomes a genetic trait.

So the Irish are genetically inferior to the North Irish?
How about parents who beat their children? Hasn't research shown that they themselves were beaten as children? Again, is this not a genetic trait?

Criminality was a genetic condition alleged to exist among certain families in the 1920's and used as justification for the forced sterilization of children in the United States...

Your ignorance is matched only by your willful stupidity.

Yeah, right. That's why someone as brilliant as you :lol: keeps coming back for more... And I love the way you distort everything I say.

Is it impossible for someone like you, obviously educated and articulate, to debate a subject in a civil manner? I guess not. Time to assess your own ignorance (inherited perhaps) on the simple talent of how to win friends and influence people. You fail. But I think you can still buy the book in paperback.

What a doof.

Yeah, you really are. Cause smart people would state their reasonings. This is how 6 years olds argue, but I know, you don't care how dumb you look, that's apparent.

As mentioned, intelligence is genetic, and could play a role. But I really don't know what her real argument was as I know you are famous for making shit up and twisting someone's point to be trollish loser

What a doof.

Yeah, you really are. Cause smart people would state their reasonings. This is how 6 years olds argue, but I know, you don't care how dumb you look, that's apparent.

As mentioned, intelligence is genetic, and could play a role. But I really don't know what her real argument was as I know you are famous for making shit up and twisting someone's point to be trollish loser

You should give over your avatar to proletarian, since he's the Mendelian expert, an anthropologist, and purveyor of all other scientific fact concerning the African-American race.

Since she's on ignore, I don't have a clue what AllieBabba has said in this, her second thread of the day attempting to lure me into combat with her over a comment I made in a THIRD thread. Soon I hope she will wear herself out trying. Self-flagellation is good for ya, Allie. Knock yourself out.

I stand by what I said in the other two threads.

Yeah, I have her on ignore also but every once in a while will read one of her post for a good laugh

As mentioned, intelligence is genetic, and could play a role.

Intelligence is partly genetic, as the carts I posted early in the thread point out. Do a Google Scholar search on it.

Why do you think it is nobody believes your claims regarding your education and employment?

☭proletarian☭;2194022 said:

Intelligence is partly genetic, as the carts I posted early in the thread point out. Do a Google Scholar search on it.

Why do you think it is nobody believes your claims regarding your education and employment?

First off, what carts are you talking about? You made three posts in here, all calling other's stupid or moron.

YOu look really stupid when you claim I'm not smart and take shots at me when all you do is add "partly" to it and act like what I said was totally wrong. Of course nothing is always completely solely based on genetics, its the nature-nurture argument

http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/PDF/TT_ARN05.pdf
measure of cognitive ability,
known as g, has been shown highly heritable across many studies. We
argue that these genetic links are partly mediated by brain structure
that is likewise under strong genetic control.
Other factors, such as the
environment, obviously play a role, but the predominant determinant
appears to genetic.

Take shots at my intelligence all you want, my college education and my current career says otherwise, regardless of what some jealous fools have to say on a message board

First off, what carts are you talking about? You made three posts in here, all calling other's stupid or moron.

YOu look really stupid when you claim I'm not smart and take shots at me when all you do is add "partly" to it and act like what I said was totally wrong. Of course nothing is always completely solely based on genetics, its the nature-nurture argument

appears to genetic.
Take shots at my intelligence all you want, my college education and my current career says otherwise, regardless of what some jealous fools have to say on a message board
If you were as educated and intelligent as you claim, you'd not be so foolish as to conflate the two. ;)

My charts are in the first thread Allie made. 'tis hard to tell the two apart.

You made an absolute statement. Own it. You were wrong. Man up.

You can't pass on learned behaviors genetically. Culture gets passed down, but not genetically.

There are lots of weird behaviors that are genetically programmed. Such things as territoriality and rank seeking. We see them in all vertebrate animals from fish on up.

The fact that their mom speaks Russian does not mean my kids do. They refuse to learn the language. No book I read does either of them any good.

My X wife is pretty darn smart, and I think highly of my brains as well. (YMMV) Since both their parents are (for the sake of argument) above average, that means their have the potential for above average achievement.

But What they do with their potential is entirely up to them. Since both their mom and I encourage math and reading, they are doing very well in school. Culture determines behavior that combined with their own intelligence is leading to positive results.

What has happened to Black Culture over the last 50 years might discourage erudition. Fighting for good grades in a system where no one gives a rip if you learn anything becomes enervating.

Black culture might be blamed for some of this. You don't see large numbers of Blacks emulating the likes of Coni Rice or Clarence Thomas or Walter Williams. These guys are banned from the modern black culture as something foreign, when they should be embraced as the road to salvation. Hard work and education are the way. Not apathy and cynicism.

Contrast the minorities that get places. Jews emulate reading as good in itself, emulate stars like Moe Burg who is famous more for his erudition and scholarship (he spoke 6 languages) than his baseball performance. Which while not hall of fame level wasn't that shabby either.

Are Jews smarter than Blacks? I doubt it. There are bright ones and dumb ones all along the curve in both groups. But Jewish culture helps the weaker and allows the strong to really shine

☭proletarian☭;2194104 said:

appears to genetic.
If you were as educated and intelligent as you claim, you'd not be so foolish as to conflate the two. ;)

My charts are in the first thread Allie made. 'tis hard to tell the two apart.

You made an absolute statement. Own it. You were wrong. Man up.

Nope, did nothing of the sort, you interpreted it as an absolute statement

Plus, what I said wasn't wrong

has been shown highly heritable across many studies. We argue that these genetic links are partly mediated by brain structure

Forum List

Back