Lottery winner thinks she still is entitled too foodstamps

We love the story of the welfare queen scamming the system. Ron Reagan lived off of it. Here we have a woman with lottery winnings who can still get food stamps. Makes a good local news story and message board thread

But what is she doing that the Mitt Romneys of the country are not doing?

She invested in the lottery and had a million dollar profit. Like a good American, she paid $400,000 in taxes and now has $600,000 of personal wealth she has already paid taxes on. According to conservatives, that wealth should not be considered as income. She rightfully claims she does not have a job and is eligible for food stamps. Just like Romney claims he has very little income in spite of immense personal wealth

Yet we persecute the welfare queen and celebrate the megamillionaire

The megamillionaire is not taking taxpayer money to pay for his food, he's using his own wealth to support himself. The leech with the lottery winnings is sitting there on a boat load of money and taking money out of our pockets, and taking food and other necessities out of the hands of people that truly are poor and need it. You really need that explained to you?

My husband was unemployed for 3 years and we couldn't get any help from the state. Our neighbors brought us a Thanksgiving basket from their church and I was so ashamed and happy at the same time that I cried. I got a call from another church that wanted directions to our house...someone had put us in for a foodbasket with their church that year..I told them thanks, but we already got one and to give it to someone else that needed it. She was surprised, she said most people take as many as they can get.

We never would have made it through those 3 years without our friends and family, the government didn't do one thing for us. One of the highlights at that time was that our coffee maker went out on us. I got out the old camping coffee pot and percolated coffee on top of the stove. Then suddenly, we had 3 coffee makers. My in laws gave us one, my friend gaves us one, and someone else gave us one. We were blessed, poor but blessed.

The system needs changing.

During those 3 years I had to sell my 69 mustang convertable. I still miss that car.

you must be the wrong color.

We love the story of the welfare queen scamming the system. Ron Reagan lived off of it. Here we have a woman with lottery winnings who can still get food stamps. Makes a good local news story and message board thread

She invested in the lottery and had a million dollar profit. Like a good American, she paid $400,000 in taxes and now has $600,000 of personal wealth she has already paid taxes on. According to conservatives, that wealth should not be considered as income. She rightfully claims she does not have a job and is eligible for food stamps. Just like Romney claims he has very little income in spite of immense personal wealth

She may not have a job, but she does have an income, at least for this year. If she invests the money, she'll still have an income.

Qualifying for food stamps depends on your income, doesn't it?

Some folks just can never get off the government plantation..............

what a mindless scumbag

$1M Mich. lotto winner cut from food assistance
State officials say a Detroit-area woman who won a $1 million lottery prize but continued to get food stamps has been removed from the food assistance program.

from my linked piece...

Legislation in Lansing would require lottery and other gambling winnings to factor into eligibility for government food assistance programs. The legislation comes after a Bay County man last spring said he continued using food stamps despite winning a $2 million lottery prize in 2010.

Why is income from interest taxed at a lower rate than income from your labor?

Labor is guaranteed to have a positive impact on the economy, your income from interest might come from foreign corporations, which does nothing to help the USA.

also a higher percentage of income from labor is spent in the USA economy than the income from interest.

But when conservatives call for a no exception, no loophole, no ceiling, no floor, flat tax on every dollar earned by every source.... it gets poo pooed by the left... go figure

you still need a tiered system since that helps those with low incomes. a tiered system with flat tax rates is fine. say 3 tax rates. (on the federal level at least) 0-$30k - 0%, $30-60k - 15% $60k-100K - 20% $100k-$500K - 25%, $500K+ - 30%. no deductions, no loop holes simply a flat tax on all income. whether it is a job or investment income.

this just an example, but would this be suitable to the flat tax crowd?

No.. you don't.... I believe in equal treatment by government under law.. not subjective pandering bullshit... subjective pandering bullshit is why we have the horrible system we have now.... it is why we have politicians buying votes, promising benefits or extras at the expense of others

Reminds me of mega millionaires who claim they have no income and get to pay less than 15% in income taxes

You could even run for President

If they have NO income.... what do want them to get taxed on?

They payed their taxes when they rec'd the lottery money.

What do you pay in taxes for the interest you earn on your saved money?

:cuckoo:

Interest is taxed as ordinary income.
Exceptions:
1) Interest on municipal bonds are not taxed by the federal government
2) Interest on U.S. Treasury obgliations is not taxed by state and local government

Dividends and profits from stock sales are taxed at the capital gains tax rate.

if one is on food stamps or welfare, one should not be spending money on gambling.

It is sort of basic logic.

Now, of course, you can say that she spent money gambling so she can win and pay her own way and get off the tax payer dime.

But she didnt do that either....even though she won.

So, despite being destitute, she gambled the little money she had...won....and let the tax payer continue to pay her own way.

And somehow...in your warped mind...that is fine and dandy.

yo...spinner....

You are wrong.

Not having a job does not automatically qualify you for food stamps.

You must state that you do not have enough means to support yourself and your family (if applicable).

A Moocher Obama-Bot joins the 1%. She gonna get 'occupied' now?

She joins it for one year.

The interest income off her winnings wouldn't be shit.

Not with what she has left after buying a new house and car. $500k isn't as much as you think.

It is a lot - but you're right, its not like you're set for a life of luxury and no work with 500k - especially at age 24.

Hope she spends it wisely.

Lotteries are really just back door poor taxes, btw. There is no legitimate state need to have a lottery.

She joins it for one year.

The interest income off her winnings wouldn't be shit.

Not with what she has left after buying a new house and car. $500k isn't as much as you think.

It is a lot - but you're right, its not like you're set for a life of luxury and no work with 500k - especially at age 24.

Hope she spends it wisely.

Lotteries are really just back door poor taxes, btw. There is no legitimate state need to have a lottery.

When our state brought a vote for a lottery before the people, we were told the money would be going to education. After the law was passed, the money went to the General fund and our politicians claimed they weren't lying, some of the general fund goes to education.

I don't know of anybody who voted for it that doesn't wish they'd voted the other way now.

She sounds just like any other millionaire

She knows that her winnings don't count as income only personal wealth. Everyone knows millionaires don't count personal wealth when they pay taxes

She is just another fat cat millionaire gaming the system

just like you would be doing if you were a Millionaire.....

She sounds just like any other millionaire

She knows that her winnings don't count as income only personal wealth. Everyone knows millionaires don't count personal wealth when they pay taxes

She is just another fat cat millionaire gaming the system

just like you would be doing if you were a Millionaire.....

I wouldn't be taking foodstamps if I won a million dollars. Of course, I don't get foodstamps now, and never have, even when we were at our poorest.

Forum List

Back