Lockheed Martin Claims Sustainable Fusion Is Within Its Grasp

Exactly. A very disruptive economic development. Be some very interesting political fallout.

Every big technical advance is "disruptive." The light bulb was "disruptive." The automobile was "disruptive." Computers have been very "disruptive."

For those of you who claim fusion is 50 years away:

Lockheed Martin Claims Sustainable Fusion Is Within Its Grasp - via Twaddle - Newsvine

Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works claims the ability to generate cheap energy from nuclear fusion with little waste or global warming is within its grasp.

Imagine a source of electrical power that uses water for fuel, produces byproducts that are totally safe and releases no air pollution.

Then imagine that once it's up and running, it'll be so portable that an entire power plant could fit into the cargo hold of an airplane. Now, imagine that it'll be running in prototype form in five years and operating commercially in ten.

Skunkworks? Not surprsing. They've had the Roswell alien ship to study and reverse engineer fusion systems for how long now? Probably had fusion for a while but had to wait to unveil it or they'd connect the dots too easily. :)

For those of you who claim fusion is 50 years away:

Lockheed Martin Claims Sustainable Fusion Is Within Its Grasp - via Twaddle - Newsvine

Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works claims the ability to generate cheap energy from nuclear fusion with little waste or global warming is within its grasp.

Imagine a source of electrical power that uses water for fuel, produces byproducts that are totally safe and releases no air pollution.

Then imagine that once it's up and running, it'll be so portable that an entire power plant could fit into the cargo hold of an airplane. Now, imagine that it'll be running in prototype form in five years and operating commercially in ten.

Could have fusion-based nuclear reactors today if the people in control of purse-strings weren't bought and paid for by oil companies. Oil hates fusion. The 50 years away thing is perhaps optimistic. Oil's gonna be a thing for at least another 60 years according to oil industry sources. Until it's gone, or going, alt sources for energy while better simply wont get funded. Simple as that.

Fission produces little waste and spent fuel can be recycled

Compared to fusion, fission produces enormous amounts of waste: contaminated material for which STILL no permanent repository exists.

And if by recycling, you mean return spent fuel to the centrifuge farms... it's not a simple or low cost process.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer fission to coal or any other fossil fuel. But I'd take working fusion in a heartbeat over fission.

Last edited:
Compared to fusion, fission produces enormous amounts of waste: contaminated material for which STILL no permanent repository exists.
You know nothing,

First you can not compare fission to fusion, fusion does not exist.

Second, contaminated material can be recycled. Low level radioactive waste is disposed of, safely every single day, transported across the USA and World, with zero problems, where it is permanently buried.

I know a hell of a lot more about this topic than do you. I've seen reactor vessels up close and personal. My father made H-bombs for 25 years. I'm a freaking engineer and you're a a business major. And a particularly stupid one at that.

I know a hell of a lot more about this topic than do you. I've seen reactor vessels up close and personal. My father made H-bombs for 25 years. I'm a freaking engineer and you're a a business major. And a particularly stupid one at that.
I am working at Waltz Mill right now, tell the us all what is the significance, in a second and prove you know what you speak of.

I just finished work on a heavy water reactor, where was I crick, seeings how you know more, go ahead off the top of your head

If crick knows reactors he can explain the reactor head problem that began at davis besse in ohio, off the top of his head.

Tell us what happened at songs crick

hey crick, tell us the material of choice in the D5's

crick won't be back, not without a hour of google searches,

Forum List

Back