Let’s Talk About Investments for Inflation and Pre-Recession Environment

Thanks, but I actually have traded calls and puts. It’s not as easy it you make it sound, because you have to get the direction right AND the expiration period. To me, a safer way to bring in income in with covered calls, and I’ve done that quite successfully. But it still isn’t enough to overcome a negative trend in the overall market, which is why I’m seeking to diversify.
/----/ Yes, getting the direction right is key. That's why I only trade weekly options and sometimes wait until Wednesday or later to trade them.
BTW, I'm glad you understand and have traded options. My answer was also directed at others reading this thread to help them.

Anyone familiar with FCPI - Fidelity Stocks for Inflation fund? It’s still down YTD, but not as bad as the general market.

In my opinion it is too late for energy stocks, most have gained too much to be a good buy any longer. Soon we will hit the tipping point where there is a decrease in demand for gas as people will no longer pay the price and oil will come back down to earth.

Most broad ETFs are a good way to go if you have time to let the grow. Right now you can get the shares at a discount. My 401k contributions are able to buy more shares each pay period. Assuming the market eventually goes back up those that kept with it will be better off.

Other than that it is a great time to look for bargains and roll the dice on the good ones.

One I have my eye on and will pull the trigger on soon is Outset Medical (OM).

They are in talks to expand to Australia and New Zealand. If those start to look more solid I will be all in on this one.
Yep, if energy is in your portfolio already then fine but don't buy now.

I'm retired and don't have to drive to work anymore but I curtailed my discretionary driving already. It's not that I can't afford it but it's just something in my mind that calculates how much I'll be in the hole for doing so.

I've noticed a marked decrease in traffic in my AO during the weekends too.....Looks like NOtVA is staying closer to home. Gas in my AO is $4.90 now.....It's $5.00+ in NOtVA.

/----/ Yes, getting the direction right is key. That's why I only trade weekly options and sometimes wait until Wednesday or later to trade them.
BTW, I'm glad you understand and have traded options. My answer was also directed at others reading this thread to help them.
Thanks. It’s still tricky with the direction, because you can hit a bad week and be off completely. (And I read a book on them, so largely self-taught, but also took a one-day seminar.)

Thanks for your input. Perhaps others, as you say, can consider options - but as I’ve said, I feel safest with covered calls. Doesn’t offset the drop in my portfolio value, but it does offset the rise in gas and groceries.

Yep, if energy is in your portfolio already then fine but don't buy now.

I'm retired and don't have to drive to work anymore but I curtailed my discretionary driving already. It's not that I can't afford it but it's just something in my mind that calculates how much I'll be in the hole for doing so.

I've noticed a marked decrease in traffic in my AO during the weekends too.....Looks like NOtVA is staying closer to home. Gas in my AO is $4.90 now.....It's $5.00+ in NOtVA.

I suspect we will see a reported drop in usage soon. I work from home so I also do not have to drive unless I choose to, and I have had less reason to choose to lately!

Thanks. It’s still tricky with the direction, because you can hit a bad week and be off completely. (And I read a book on them, so largely self-taught, but also took a one-day seminar.)

Thanks for your input. Perhaps others, as you say, can consider options - but as I’ve said, I feel safest with covered calls. Doesn’t offset the drop in my portfolio value, but it does offset the rise in gas and groceries.
/----/ Yes, covered calls are the easiest and safest. I added %Probability in the Money to my Think or Swim platform. When selling Cash Secured Puts, I usually trade at 10% Probability since there is a 90% chance I won't be assigned. If I am, I immediately sell covered calls at the money until I'm taken out again. It's called the Wheel Strategy.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn’t think of adding that to the list because I already own, but a good way to profit off more profitable loans for banks.

If you are more interested in dividends than growth, take a look at LYG. super cheap so you can buy a lot of shares. Stays in the $2-$3 range but it does pay out dividends. That is where I throw all my whatever is left in my account money. I also suggest you keep CPG in the back of your mind. It is a canadian oil and gas company that pays dividends regularly. I would wait until the price drops back into the single digits. It has little debt and strong revenue. Some expect that it eventually will just buy out all its publicly traded stocks instead of expanding. Until then, wait until it drops in late summer. Is over $10 right now. I bought in in the $4's a year ago.

In the auto industry, it can be a bit of a day to day rollercoaster but I am going long in NSANY. It isn't going to do anything in the short term but stumble around drunk, but my gut instinct is that in 5 or 10 years it is really going to move ahead of the pack on the EV's. I guess it boils down to your investment strategy, risk tolerance, and how long you are willing to hold a stock. Nissan just feels the right choice for me in that sector because it already has electric power train technology, is global, is proactively trying to manage for the future, still produces affordable new cars, etc etc. Companies like Ford are too knee-jerk schizophrenic with their planning and reactions for my tastes.

I am kind of keen on investing globally when I can as a hedge against the dollar. If the dollar does well, no harm. If the dollar is sucking wind, I like to feel that there is a backstop in my portfolio.

/----/ Yes, covered calls are the easiest and safest. I added %Probability in the Money to my Think or Swim platform. When selling Cash Secured Puts, I usually tade at 10% Probability since tyhere is a 90% chance I won't be assigned. If I am, I immediately sell covered calls at the money until I'm taken out again. It's called the Wheel Strategy.
I’ll research that….sounds intriguing. Thx.

If you are more interested in dividends than growth, take a look at LYG. super cheap so you can buy a lot of shares. Stays in the $2-$3 range but it does pay out dividends. That is where I throw all my whatever is left in my account money. I also suggest you keep CPG in the back of your mind. It is a canadian oil and gas company that pays dividends regularly. I would wait until the price drops back into the single digits. It has little debt and strong revenue. Some expect that it eventually will just buy out all its publicly traded stocks instead of expanding. Until then, wait until it drops in late summer. Is over $10 right now. I bought in in the $4's a year ago.

In the auto industry, it can be a bit of a day to day rollercoaster but I am going long in NSANY. It isn't going to do anything in the short term but stumble around drunk, but my gut instinct is that in 5 or 10 years it is really going to move ahead of the pack on the EV's. I guess it boils down to your investment strategy, risk tolerance, and how long you are willing to hold a stock. Nissan just feels the right choice for me in that sector because it already has electric power train technology, is global, is proactively trying to manage for the future, still produces affordable new cars, etc etc. Companies like Ford are too knee-jerk schizophrenic with their planning and reactions for my tastes.

I am kind of keen on investing globally when I can as a hedge against the dollar. If the dollar does well, no harm. If the dollar is sucking wind, I like to feel that there is a backstop in my portfolio.
Thx. Some good possibilities to research.

As far as oil and gas, I bought a fund about a year or so ago. It’s skyrocketed.

Thx. Some good possibilities to research.

As far as oil and gas, I bought a fund about a year or so ago. It’s skyrocketed.

I suspect that the industry is going to settle down a lot this year which is why I suggested you wait before going in on Crescent Point.

I would also stay out of real estate. The high end market bubble is already bursting. It is just a matter of time until it broadens out to the other price points. Hold any you have, but not a good place to be putting new money. New construction is slow and expensive and existing owners have gotten unrealistic and entitled with their prices.

We can soften the blow until a decent administration takes over, though, can’t we?
well that's the thing Lisa

this'll go round & round ,and probably end up in a 'free market' debate if pursued.

myself, i feel any given government is responsible for a level playing field, yet the devil be in the details of it all

~S~

Forum List

Back