Let's put Electric Vehicles into context

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
They estimate that mankind pumps out 43 billion tons of co2 per year. Of this, 30% is down to transportation. So that's 12.9 billion tons, but 87% of this is due to vehicles. So that's 11.22 billion tons. As the co2 cost of production of an EV is greater than you think and depending on battery size, over the lifetime of the vehicle, you can reduce the co2 v an ICE vehicle by 25% to 50%. So let's take the average of 37.5%.

So 37.5% of 11.22 billion tons is 4.2 billion tons

So that's it, all this fantastic hype that changing your car to electric in order to save the planet, equates to 4.2 billion tons.

And the alarmists that scream at you are busy pumping out co2 themselves. So this EV farce is approx 10% of their dilemma.

It isn't just about saving the planet. It's technology moving forward. It's about less of a reliance on oil. The future may not even be electric cars, it may be something else. Long term it will not be ICE cars so the research and technology is simply taking us forward as opposed to backwards.

They estimate that mankind pumps out 43 billion tons of co2 per year. Of this, 30% is down to transportation. So that's 12.9 billion tons, but 87% of this is due to vehicles. So that's 11.22 billion tons. As the co2 cost of production of an EV is greater than you think and depending on battery size, over the lifetime of the vehicle, you can reduce the co2 v an ICE vehicle by 25% to 50%. So let's take the average of 37.5%.

So 37.5% of 11.22 billion tons is 4.2 billion tons

So that's it, all this fantastic hype that changing your car to electric in order to save the planet, equates to 4.2 billion tons.

And the alarmists that scream at you are busy pumping out co2 themselves. So this EV farce is approx 10% of their dilemma.
Is .even a 10 percent reduction in emissions worth it?

I think so

Is .even a 10 percent reduction in emissions worth it?

I think so
Then explain what that means; as in the effect on temperature, over what timeframe and specific predictions in terms of sea level, weather etc..

Saying, "I think so" is as much use as tits on a fish.

I'll be happy to show you what is in my pocket, but the transition to electric power will happen, no matter how much you whine.

If Tesla does come out with 25K cars it will grow pretty fast.

I'll be happy to show you what is in my pocket, but the transition to electric power will happen, no matter how much you whine.

Okay. So long as it's understood that 'we' doesn't include me. Or most others in this lifetime, for that matter.

There's only a 3% market for these cars globally. The market will decide. It always decides.

Speaking for myself, my next car is probably gonna be another vette. Probably a 2013. Which would make it a V8 combustion engine.

chevrolet_100228039_h.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't just about saving the planet. It's technology moving forward. It's about less of a reliance on oil. The future may not even be electric cars, it may be something else. Long term it will not be ICE cars so the research and technology is simply taking us forward as opposed to backwards.
And are you you banking on every country changing to EV's? So the figures are even less.

I like to see you get the owners of an ICE vehicle in a third world country to buy a Tesla. Cloud cuckoo land springs to mind.

Not in my lifetime, the benefits are minimal, assuming you want to call them benefits because the hassle wipes that out.

Then explain what that means; as in the effect on temperature, over what timeframe and specific predictions in terms of sea level, weather etc..

Saying, "I think so" is as much use as tits on a fish.
Cutting down on emissions is not an all or nothing proposition

Not in my lifetime, the benefits are minimal, assuming you want to call them benefits because the hassle wipes that out.
It is already happening with GM, Ford making major transitions by the end of the decade.
Most public transportation is already going electric

Cutting down on emissions is not an all or nothing proposition
But you are putting a case forward. You know specifically what emissions cause as an impact on the environment, so equally, you know that any co2 savings will alter these predictions. Saying, the flood that happened is because of man made climate change (mmcc) or the drought was because of mmcc; you are just using history as your evidence. I want specific accurate predictions, otherwise, you are just a hindsight Keir Starmer (he's the lefty leader in the UK that cannot give a policy or prediction until after the event, then he says, this is my solution and look what happened). You are just arguing from a Keir Starmer position.

"IF" my dog was a cat, I'd have a cat.

I don't know about you, Meister, but I find the idea that everyone seems to have that they're going to own a Tesla to be as laughable as it is absurd.

Every time there's an electric car thread it's always Tesla, Tesla, Tesla.

Pft. Yeah. Okay. I think the average American savings acount is between 500 a thousand dollars max.

Forum List

Back