Let's play a game! It's called, who's the REAL racist.

Johnson did the moral thing despite the threat to the Democratic monopoly in the south if he did.

That you have right, dcm. Goldwater was not racist. That is not why he opposed the CRA. He opposed it because he did not comprehend what is the Constitution.

The civil rights act was a flagrant violation of the 10th amendment, you're the one who doesn't understand the Constitution, Jake
Only in the minds of libertarian dooshes was the CRA illegal.

Do you know what the 10th amendment says, Jake?

There is your hero LBJ. Revisionist want to claim that he was the guiding hand of Civil Rights and that is total leftist bullshit. The fact was that he reluctantly turned to embrace it only after it was politically expedient for his to do so..

Not revisionists- historians 'want to claim' he was the guiding hand of the 1964 Civil Rights Bill- and that is of course completely accurate- and just like Wallace- you find that to be 'leftist bullshit'

The fact is that no one did more to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Bill than LBJ

The Civil Rights Era - NAACP: A Century in the Fight for Freedom | Exhibitions - Library of Congress

In June 1963, President John Kennedy asked Congress for a comprehensive civil rights bill, induced by massive resistance to desegregation and the murder of Medgar Evers. After Kennedy’s assassination in November, President Lyndon Johnson pressed hard, with the support of Roy Wilkins and Clarence Mitchell, to secure the bill’s passage the following year. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited discrimination in public accommodations and federally funded programs. It banned discrimination in employment and created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to enforce compliance. It also strengthened the enforcement of voting rights and the desegregation of schools.

http://lbj.utexas.edu/civilrights/cr_dvdpromo.pdf
“After the Kennedy assassination, Lyndon Johnson would make civil rights the
centerpiece of his new administration. And what the tapes indicate is the extent to which
LBJ devoted considerable time and energy to this cause between November of 1963 and
July of 1964

I love how you want to use liberal propaganda pieces created after the fact as proof for the way you think.

The fact is that the 1964 Legislation was a continuation of the process that Republicans had been running with the 1957 and 1960 Civil Right Acts.

As proof: Time magazine even largely credite.
s.

Oh yes- that Time Magazine writer did claim that "
Ev Dirksen knows it well. With a good deal of Democratic cooperation, he practically wrote the thing

And as noted elsewhere-http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-28/site/ct-everett-dirksen-flashback-0629-20140628_1_civil-rights-act-everett-dirksen-engle

.When President Lyndon Johnson signed the historic Civil Rights Act of 1964, 50 years ago this Wednesday, he handed the first pen used to Dirksen. He predicted that posterity would associate Dirksen with a fellow Illinoisan, Abraham Lincoln. Dirksen's critical role in getting Johnson's bill passed, at long last, put Uncle Sam's muscle behind the 14th Amendment's guarantee to all citizens of "the equal protection of the laws.

[
Johnson played his role in 1964, but he is not the one who should get all the credit as he was the major roadblock from the years of 1956 until 1964. By doing so, you betray the herculean efforts of other people both well known and not so famous who worked tirelessly in that fight.

Johnson arranged for passage of both the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Bills, went on National TV to chastise Congress to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Bill and worked tirelessly to get it passed.

You have been the one denying Johnson's role in passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act- and by doing so you betray all of those who worked for the bills passage.

When I get to a computer instead of my phone I'll post some good stuff. Sorry but I work for a living and I don't live in my mom's basement.

So glad you finally got a job and got out of that basement.

Meanwhile I will continue to post facts- and you will post what you post......

Time to suck on this for a while you lying, cherry-picking liberal douchebags.

You do seem to be obsessed with sucking and douchebags.

But just like Wallace- you hate liberals.

That is what I thought you piece of shit lying liberal. You can't stand the facts. You asked for proof and I posted it and you've got zero, nada, zilch. Just your fucking talking points. I called it from the get go and you have proven my point. You are a moron who doesn't know jack shit about history. You are a cherry-picking fucker who probably found this shit before I even posted it but is unwilling to admit it until I post the undeniable proof and now you refuse to acknowledge it and instead act like the little cry baby I knew you were.

Welcome to Liberalism the height of intellectual bankruptcy.
You are the bankrupt one, dave. This argument of yours has been tried and tried again and it always fails. So I am not going to argue with you.

The Pubs did nt have the votes they needed to have a strong CR bill and LBJ at that time could not provide enough dem votes to make that strong bill happen.

All of that changed by 1964. LBJ had the votes, the Southern Republican in the Senate and the House voted against the bill totally while a few Dems from the South vote for it.

The bill passed because of Democratic leadership and votes supported by the minority Pubs.

Where is the fail? My viewpoint is consistent with history. Yours is not. LBJ had to twist the arms of the Democrats to vote for the 1964 act. The reason he didn't before was not because he didn't have the votes, it was because he didn't have the will to do so. There was no upside for him personally. Once he was the President, he was concerned for his legacy and not passing the Civil Rights Bill might have cost him politically. That was his determining factor and it is easy to see in the historic record. The number of southern democrats did not change much between 1957 and 1964, in fact the faces were pretty much the same.

LBJ could have backed Eisenhower but the Democrats knew that doing so would have empowered the Republicans so they let the minorities suffer for a few more years.

Here is LBJ on Hawaii Statehood while in his final years as a Senator: Quote from an interview with Richard Bake - See, Senator Johnson was running for reelection, and he said, “Whatever you do, don’t embarrass me.” Because Hawaiian statehood was sort of a Civil Rights issue back then, especially in the South. They didn’t want Japanese and Filipinos, and Chinamen being elected to the Senate. So I called Senator Russell and said that Speaker Rayburn called me and asked that I try to help Delegate Burns, and could he come see you? He said sure. Senator Russell had good manners. So he went over and told him that as long as he was a Senator from Hawaii, he’d never vote to change Rule 22. Senator Russell called me and said, “You have permission to take up Hawaiian Statehood. I’m not going to vote for it, but you can take it up and pass it.”

That you have right, dcm. Goldwater was not racist. That is not why he opposed the CRA. He opposed it because he did not comprehend what is the Constitution.

The civil rights act was a flagrant violation of the 10th amendment, you're the one who doesn't understand the Constitution, Jake

The constitution has supremacy over any state law

Do you think Zell Miller is no different than Elizabeth Warren? They're both Democrats.

Now you are getting it. Two idiots, both Democrats. See the pattern forming.

I had to put her on ignore for spamming, and kept her there because she continued to spam me while on ignore, so I only see her questions when someone quotes her.

But she's seriously asking if don't you think Zell Miller, who wrote "A National Party No More" about the Democrat Party is the same as Elizabeth Warren to demonstrate Democrats are different? The guy who wrote a book that the Democrats aren't what they were when he joined the party? That's classic.

BTW, it was a great book if you haven't read it

Zell has at least some moderate tendencies that lead him to be more human. Warren is total bullshit. I just laugh at Zell because of his ass sucking back during Carter. You couldn't back a bigger idiot than Carter until the last two buffoons.
Zell Miller is one of the most honorable men to have been in public life. At the time Carter was the smart choice. Of course since you werent born then you'd have no idea.

Oh I remember Carter very well. You keep pretending you are the only person who remembers. I remember the fuel ration stamps, the high interest rates, and the terrible condition of our military like it was yesterday.

You leftist are something else.
You remember the fuel ration stamps under Carter?
ROFLFWAO!!!!!!
What a fucking poseur. You must be what, 15? 16?

Now you are getting it. Two idiots, both Democrats. See the pattern forming.

I had to put her on ignore for spamming, and kept her there because she continued to spam me while on ignore, so I only see her questions when someone quotes her.

But she's seriously asking if don't you think Zell Miller, who wrote "A National Party No More" about the Democrat Party is the same as Elizabeth Warren to demonstrate Democrats are different? The guy who wrote a book that the Democrats aren't what they were when he joined the party? That's classic.

Zell has at least some moderate tendencies that lead him to be more human. Warren is total bullshit. I just laugh at Zell because of his ass sucking back during Carter. You couldn't back a bigger idiot than Carter until the last two buffoons.
Zell Miller is one of the most honorable men to have been in public life. At the time Carter was the smart choice. Of course since you werent born then you'd have no idea.

Oh I remember Carter very well. You keep pretending you are the only person who remembers. I remember the fuel ration stamps, the high interest rates, and the terrible condition of our military like it was yesterday.

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

That's how old I was under Carter, and I don't remember fuel ration stamps. I do remember though they limited the amount you could put in a tank and the lines going around the block at gas stations

That is what I thought you piece of shit lying liberal. You can't stand the facts. You asked for proof and I posted it and you've got zero, nada, zilch. Just your fucking talking points. I called it from the get go and you have proven my point. You are a moron who doesn't know jack shit about history. You are a cherry-picking fucker who probably found this shit before I even posted it but is unwilling to admit it until I post the undeniable proof and now you refuse to acknowledge it and instead act like the little cry baby I knew you were.

You are the bankrupt one, dave. This argument of yours has been tried and tried again and it always fails. So I am not going to argue with you.

The Pubs did nt have the votes they needed to have a strong CR bill and LBJ at that time could not provide enough dem votes to make that strong bill happen.

All of that changed by 1964. LBJ had the votes, the Southern Republican in the Senate and the House voted against the bill totally while a few Dems from the South vote for it.

The bill passed because of Democratic leadership and votes supported by the minority Pubs.

Where is the fail? My viewpoint is consistent with history. Yours is not. LBJ had to twist the arms of the Democrats to vote for the 1964 act. The reason he didn't before was not because he didn't have the votes, it was because he didn't have the will to do so. There was no upside for him personally. Once he was the President, he was concerned for his legacy and not passing the Civil Rights Bill might have cost him politically. That was his determining factor and it is easy to see in the historic record. The number of southern democrats did not change much between 1957 and 1964, in fact the faces were pretty much the same.

LBJ could have backed Eisenhower but the Democrats knew that doing so would have empowered the Republicans so they let the minorities suffer for a few more years.

Here is LBJ on Hawaii Statehood while in his final years as a Senator: Quote from an interview with Richard Bake - See, Senator Johnson was running for reelection, and he said, “Whatever you do, don’t embarrass me.” Because Hawaiian statehood was sort of a Civil Rights issue back then, especially in the South. They didn’t want Japanese and Filipinos, and Chinamen being elected to the Senate. So I called Senator Russell and said that Speaker Rayburn called me and asked that I try to help Delegate Burns, and could he come see you? He said sure. Senator Russell had good manners. So he went over and told him that as long as he was a Senator from Hawaii, he’d never vote to change Rule 22. Senator Russell called me and said, “You have permission to take up Hawaiian Statehood. I’m not going to vote for it, but you can take it up and pass it.”

Have you forgotten how Barry Goldwater voted on the Civil Rights Act?

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

That's how old I was under Carter, and I don't remember fuel ration stamps. I do remember though they limited the amount you could put in a tank and the lines going around the block at gas stations

And none of it was Carter's fault.

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

Actually it was odd/even days based on your license plate number

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

As I recall that was a state mandated thing and different states did differently. In NJ you had odd and even days. Even so that was in 1973 during the oil crisis and Carter was president beginning 1977.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Of course, and I understand that you do not understand it. That's OK. You are a libertarian.

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

As I recall that was a state mandated thing and different states did differently. In NJ you had odd and even days. Even so that was in 1973 during the oil crisis and Carter was president beginning 1977.

Thanks! I was just starting to drive then, I turned 15 in 1978, so I kind of remember but don't remember the details

dave does not understand how the CRA came about in 1964,

That is his problem that he is invested in revisionist nonsense.

Where is the fail? My viewpoint is consistent with history. Yours is not. LBJ had to twist the arms of the Democrats to vote for the 1964 act. The reason he didn't before was not because he didn't have the votes, it was because he didn't have the will to do so. There was no upside for him personally. Once he was the President, he was concerned for his legacy and not passing the Civil Rights Bill might have cost him politically.

History shows that LBJ had to twist the arms of both Democrats and Republicans to vote for the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

He did the same thing in 1957 and 1960.

'there was no upside for him personally'? How would you know?

No matter how much it pisses you off- LBJ indeed is responsible for passing the 1964 Civil Rights Bill- the bill opposed by the GOP candidate for President.

ROFLFWAO!!!!!!

Interesting, from wikipedia:

Several states actually implemented odd-even gas rationing, including California, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, and Texas. Coupons for gasoline rationing were printed but were never actually used during the 1979 crisis.[13]

Forum List

Back