Let me be the first to dash the hopes of fans of other teams.

Ironically this period of SEC dominance began when those universities went outside their footprint and hired coaches from the North. Saban, Miles, Urban Meyer.

Some coaches have been from the North. Others, like Steve Spurrier have been from the south.
Talking about from 2003 onward which has been SEC SEC SEC. Only 5 times have they not won the title. Texas has 1, OSU 1,FSU, 1 and Clemson 2. Meyer, Miles, Saban are all from Ohio. Auburn got 1 with Scam and Chizik and he is a Southern guy.

You're rooting for a jersey which is laundry. It's not like you really know any of the participants in the game you didnt grow up watching them in peewee football. You have zero vested interest in them other than the clothes they wear, and if they choose to wear different clothes and played against the guys wearing the clothes you like you'd root against them. You root for laundry.

I have been an Alabama football fan since I was old enough to watch a game. No, I don't know the players personally. But then, I don't have to. They came to the UA to play football. They joined a long tradition, of which I am a part.

I understand that you don't get it. That does not change the way things are.

Drop by Tuscaloosa some crisp fall saturday when Bama plays at home. Walk around the Quad with tens of thousands of fans tailgating. If you want to try to look down on us after that, it is your own loss.

BTW what is it with SEC fans and their blind support of all things football at their school of choice? Seriously, I think they would sign off on child sacrifice if it meant a couple extra wins a year. Here's news flash. Your university of choice's performance on the football field does not in any way illustrate that you are better than anyone else, even at football since most of the kids play on your team arent even from the area the University is in.
That region didn't have professional until 1965 with Atlanta. Then the Saints in 1967.

And, for the most part, those pro teams have sucked.
Certainly not consistently good, although since 2006 NO has made the playoffs 9 times.

You're rooting for a jersey which is laundry. It's not like you really know any of the participants in the game you didnt grow up watching them in peewee football. You have zero vested interest in them other than the clothes they wear, and if they choose to wear different clothes and played against the guys wearing the clothes you like you'd root against them. You root for laundry.

I have been an Alabama football fan since I was old enough to watch a game. No, I don't know the players personally. But then, I don't have to. They came to the UA to play football. They joined a long tradition, of which I am a part.

Drop by Tuscaloosa some crisp fall saturday when Bama plays at home. Walk around the Quad with tens of thousands of fans tailgating. If you want to try to look down on us after that, it is your own loss.
Believe whatever you want to believe man. But you arent part of the tradition of football at Alabama unless you coached or played there. Can I say Im part of the Steeler football team because I was born in Pittsburgh and grew up rooting for them? Did I have something to do with their success? When do I get my SB ring?

He is a fucking legend and will be remembered for decades.

Yes he will!! We have seen it. Bear Bryant died in 1983, and he is still spoken of in reverent terms.

Nick Saban and Miss Terry will be around for another 8 years. Should be time for another 2 or 3 National Championships.

Last edited:
BTW what is it with SEC fans and their blind support of all things football at their school of choice? Seriously, I think they would sign off on child sacrifice if it meant a couple extra wins a year. Here's news flash. Your university of choice's performance on the football field does not in any way illustrate that you are better than anyone else, even at football since most of the kids play on your team arent even from the area the University is in.
That region didn't have professional until 1965 with Atlanta. Then the Saints in 1967.

And, for the most part, those pro teams have sucked.
Certainly not consistently good, although since 2006 NO has made the playoffs 9 times.

My point was that they couldn't steal fans from the college base.

I remember seeing a bumper sticker in the 1970s that still makes me laugh. "Go Braves!! And take the Falcons with you"

Believe whatever you want to believe man. But you arent part of the tradition of football at Alabama unless you coached or played there. Can I say Im part of the Steeler football team because I was born in Pittsburgh and grew up rooting for them? Did I have something to do with their success? When do I get my SB ring?

I am very much a part of the Crimson Tide tradition. From the money spent on games and merch, to attending the school, to being present to cheer the players on to victory or console them in defeat.

As a player whether the fans are part of things. They will tell you that the fans in the stands inspire them.

He is a fucking legend and will be remembered for decades.

Yes he will!! We have seen it. Bear Bryant died in 1983, and he is still spoken of in reverent terms.

Nick Saban and Miss Terry will be around for another 7 years. Should be time for another 2 or 3 National Championships.
Not if Dabo has anything to do with it :funnyface:

I have no doubt Dabo will win another 2 or 3 s well. That covers 4 to 6 years. And someone else can split the other 2.

Gigantic waste of money. There is no reason the taxpayers should be paying any football coach anything...much less the gazillions of dollars they are paying this guy with almost zero return on investment.

First off, Nick Saban's contracts have always included a lot of money from outside sources by way of endorsements. It has also paid off for the University of Alabama. The Crimson Tide is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. Enough so that the football revenue supports the entire athletic dept and still contributes millions of dollars to provide for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

And since Saban has been at UA, the number of out-of-state students has doubled. Which brings in even more revenue.
Cool...so with all of this money he brings in...tuition should be free for any Alabamans who wish to attend, right?

According to this site; it costs you about $22K after aid....

View attachment 498507

I'm not seeing the benefit for the average citizen of Alabama.

Now ditto for any public university and high school. I'm just picking out U of A because there is a thread on it.

Paying a coach so much is flat out crazy. Any coach. I don't care who he or she is.

The money spent is returned many times.

I guess, but Im willing to bet the donations and support to Alabama football dont drop to the tune of Nick Saban's salary if he isnt there getting paid that much money.

I do not know. But the money spent on Saban is money well spent.
So if they didn't have Saban, the TV contract the SEC just got would not have been so large? Missouri is paying their coach about a fifth of what Saban is making but they seem to be getting as much from the TV deal as Alabama from what I have read. Ditto for Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vandy.

Football, Basketball, etc.... shouldn't be an economic engine for the school since, ya know, the point of the university is to educate people, not provide entertainment. But as for the TV contracts, the schools get the same whether they have Nick Saban or Nick Nolte as coach.

But yeah, having the best football team is cool.

In addition to Coach Saban signing his extension, and having the best recruiting class of his time at Alabama, they have announced the replacements for Sarkisian.

Bill O'Brien will be the new OC. O'Brien has a brilliant mind for offense.
Doug Marrone will be the new Offensive Line coach.

O'Brien and Marrone are both former NFL head coaches. How many college teams can boast that for player development?

Another Natty on the way!!

Gigantic waste of money. There is no reason the taxpayers should be paying any football coach anything...much less the gazillions of dollars they are paying this guy with almost zero return on investment.

First off, Nick Saban's contracts have always included a lot of money from outside sources by way of endorsements. It has also paid off for the University of Alabama. The Crimson Tide is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. Enough so that the football revenue supports the entire athletic dept and still contributes millions of dollars to provide for faculty support and non-athletic scholarships.

And since Saban has been at UA, the number of out-of-state students has doubled. Which brings in even more revenue.
Cool...so with all of this money he brings in...tuition should be free for any Alabamans who wish to attend, right?

According to this site; it costs you about $22K after aid....

View attachment 498507

I'm not seeing the benefit for the average citizen of Alabama.

Now ditto for any public university and high school. I'm just picking out U of A because there is a thread on it.

Paying a coach so much is flat out crazy. Any coach. I don't care who he or she is.

The money spent is returned many times.

I guess, but Im willing to bet the donations and support to Alabama football dont drop to the tune of Nick Saban's salary if he isnt there getting paid that much money.

I do not know. But the money spent on Saban is money well spent.
So if they didn't have Saban, the TV contract the SEC just got would not have been so large? Missouri is paying their coach about a fifth of what Saban is making but they seem to be getting as much from the TV deal as Alabama from what I have read. Ditto for Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vandy.

Football, Basketball, etc.... shouldn't be an economic engine for the school since, ya know, the point of the university is to educate people, not provide entertainment. But as for the TV contracts, the schools get the same whether they have Nick Saban or Nick Nolte as coach.

But yeah, having the best football team is cool.

The TV contracts are for the conference. Which is why Missouri and Kentucky get what they get. But coach Saban is the biggest part of why the conference gets what they get.

Forum List

Back