Latest Data on MC Safety

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Key factoid: Based on fatalities per passenger mile, you are 26 times more likely to get killed in a MC accident than in a car.

My basic rules of MC riding:

(1) Don't ride at night

(2) Never ride while impaired in any way; eliminate distractions

(3) Ride as though everyone else on the road is out to get you ("defensive driving" on steroids)

(4) Never make a left turn across traffic other than at a traffic light (plan your route so that this doesn't occur)

(5) Wear appropriate safety gear

(6) limit fast riding to times and places where there is no one else around

Still, I wonder if it's worth it.

Key factoid: Based on fatalities per passenger mile, you are 26 times more likely to get killed in a MC accident than in a car.

(1) Don't ride at night

(3) Ride as though everyone else on the road is out to get you ("defensive driving" on steroids)

(4) Never make a left turn across traffic other than at a traffic light (plan your route so that this doesn't occur)

If it isn't worth it to you, don't ride.

I ride at night a lot. I have a headlight and 2 spots on the front and 3 tail lights at the rear all three act like brake lights, giving those behind me all the warning I can.
I don't drink, so #2 is a fer sure.
I don't ride paranoid, but I'm instinctively aware of everything around me; partly due to training and part due to 50 years and 800,000 miles of experience.
I make lefts where ever I choose. I use my signals and watch people carefully. I have aborted lefts any number of times.
I wear jeans, boots, gloves leather vest and in Alabama, a half helmet (police issue style). I'd prefer not to wear a bucket, but it's the law here.
I prefer to cruise at or just slightly above posted speed, but will open it up with a group I trust at speed.
In South Florida, I rode with a group that would run 2 abreast with 3 feet from the rear tire of the lead bike to the front of the next at 100 MPH for an hour at a time. It's very intense. You must be incredibly tuned in. It's like riding 8 or 10 bikes at a time.
It leaves you feeling close to God.
I never wonder if it's worth it. It's who I am. It's what I do.

I sometimes ride at night, I don't drink. I wear full gear (full helmet, armored jacket and pants, boots, gauntlet gloves) at all times. I wear hi-visibility chartreuse helmet. My wife does the same.

I ride at night a lot. I have a headlight and 2 spots on the front and 3 tail lights at the rear all three act like brake lights, giving those behind me all the warning I can.
I don't drink, so #2 is a fer sure.
I don't ride paranoid, but I'm instinctively aware of everything around me; partly due to training and part due to 50 years and 800,000 miles of experience.
I make lefts where ever I choose. I use my signals and watch people carefully. I have aborted lefts any number of times.
I wear jeans, boots, gloves leather vest and in Alabama, a half helmet (police issue style). I'd prefer not to wear a bucket, but it's the law here.
I prefer to cruise at or just slightly above posted speed, but will open it up with a group I trust at speed.
In South Florida, I rode with a group that would run 2 abreast with 3 feet from the rear tire of the lead bike to the front of the next at 100 MPH for an hour at a time. It's very intense. You must be incredibly tuned in. It's like riding 8 or 10 bikes at a time.
It leaves you feeling close to God.
I never wonder if it's worth it. It's who I am. It's what I do.
That 3-headlight configuration almost caused me a crash once. I was waiting to pull out on a highway at night when I saw what appeared to be one car behind another, at a distance far enough for me to safely go ahead. It looked like one car behind another, with one headlight obscured by the car in front.

As soon as I pulled out, here's a motorcycle on my ass. With three headlights as you describe.

He rode my ass through town and I knew he was pissed and had an attitude. So I pulled over and he stopped next to me and said "that was really stupid". I simply said "sorry about that" when I was really thinking "what a fucking stupid headlamp configuration, you asswipe".

But that's not how I roll. :lol:

It's a very common configuration. Touring class motorcycles have been configured that way since the 40's
My 1949 Harley had a headlight and 2 spots. My 1967 Electraglide had a headlight and 2 spots and my 2004 RoadKing has a headlight and 2 spots. My '86 FXRS had a single headlight and I installed after marked spots/fogs for safety.
Multiple other bikes I've owned had after market additional lighting as well. No one ever told me they thought my scooter was 2 cars.
I do watch carefully for bikes, maybe because I'd prefer everyone was as careful.
There are times when I'm not sure if an approaching vehicle is a motorcycle or a car with the left headlight out. I tend to pull to the right until I'm sure.

It's a very common configuration. Touring class motorcycles have been configured that way since the 40's
My 1949 Harley had a headlight and 2 spots. My 1967 Electraglide had a headlight and 2 spots and my 2004 RoadKing has a headlight and 2 spots. My '86 FXRS had a single headlight and I installed after marked spots/fogs for safety.
Multiple other bikes I've owned had after market additional lighting as well. No one ever told me they thought my scooter was 2 cars.
I do watch carefully for bikes, maybe because I'd prefer everyone was as careful.
There are times when I'm not sure if an approaching vehicle is a motorcycle or a car with the left headlight out. I tend to pull to the right until I'm sure.
Thanks. :thup:

But I made an honest mistake, and I believed what I saw with my eyes. And I'd rather admit otherwise than get my ass kicked LOL.

As long as you keep driving, you're pretty safe. I remember a guy who tried to run me off the road twice one evening. I got pissed and chased him for several miles at very high speeds until I realized that there was little I could do to force him to stop and I was in considerably more danger than he was.

As long as you keep driving, you're pretty safe. I remember a guy who tried to run me off the road twice one evening. I got pissed and chased him for several miles at very high speeds until I realized that there was little I could do to force him to stop and I was in considerably more danger than he was.
Could you try using the quote function? When I'm notified that you've replied to a thread, it's not the same as if you quoted me and I'm less likely to read it.

Could you try using the quote function? When I'm notified that you've replied to a thread, it's not the same as if you quoted me and I'm less likely to read it.
Oops I just figured there wasn't much traffic to confuse things.

(1) Don't ride at night

List of causes of death by rate - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I wonder if even getting out of bed is worth it....... Oh yeah, that'll kill ya too..........
:lol:

The only way to look at these numbers is to keep in mind that the Death Rate is 100%. The relevant question is, how are you likely to die.

And as Kenny Rogers pointed out, "...the best you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

Or as Tyrion Lannister hoped, "of a heart attack, with beer on my breath and some whore's lips around my cock."

But I would feel really stupid in the afterlife if I got killed making a left turn across traffic into a Wendy's on my motorcycle.

Forum List

Back